Page 52 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 LastLast

Thread: Calorie Counting Revisited : Distillation and Update page 52

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    My personal n=1,

*ketosis + limiting calories to 1300 or less = steady weight loss

*low-carb (around 100g) + limiting calories = slow weight loss

*eating all Primal foods without watching calories, but keeping below 150g carbs = maintenance

All that while regularly exercising.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Unfortunately it is very hard to find your "BMR". A calculator most likely won't cut it. I find that my weight gain:strength gain ratio isn't good, and eating "500kcal above maintenance" isn't so easy.
    Billie trips balls

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    I have lost 2 more lbs. So that's 4 in less than one week - 4 days, really. Now that I see this is viable I'm going to stop weighing myself obsessively every day and go to a once a week weigh-in ;P

So, what is working for me very well right now is a combination of these things: easy exercise (I'm just walking and doing light cycling), eating two meals a day (lunch and dinner), being in ketosis (I am 100% primal and love it), counting calories, not snacking, and using SparkPeople to track my data.
    I have not yet done any of the PB Fitness exercises or the LHT although I plan to.
    Just putting this here in case it helps anyone else the way the other posts have helped me.
    Great progress! Do be aware thought that there will probably be a slowdown in the loss. You are having that first initial whoosh of excess water weight clearing out (which can be a lot of fun). Slowing down a bit doesn't mean it "stopped working".

I highly recommend the LHTs sprints and walking found in the PB Fitness guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    My personal n=1,

*ketosis + limiting calories to 1300 or less = steady weight loss

*low-carb (around 100g) + limiting calories = slow weight loss

*eating all Primal foods without watching calories, but keeping below 150g carbs = maintenance

All that while regularly exercising.
    My n=1 : ketosis+portion control=weigh loss. Ketosis + eating ad lib=maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    Unfortunately it is very hard to find your "BMR". A calculator most likely won't cut it. I find that my weight gain:strength gain ratio isn't good, and eating "500kcal above maintenance" isn't so easy.
    You, my adorable skinny teenager friend, need to not worry about counting at all and just EAT. And then eat some more.

Luce is offline Senior Member
    Doctors said I can't afford being ketotic now that I had to double my meds and up the prednisone and that had a bad impact on diet compliance, I find I need to cut some things out (I had some "regular traditional foods" lately and that pretty ruined it for me).

I'm not an eater but I've been putting weight on a less than a thousand calories diet (but there was junk in there) and broken feet kept me out of the gym -my bones break easily and heal really slowly.

Luce (in dejunking mode)
    No limits, only my will and the worlds I build.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Luce View Post
    Doctors said I can't afford being ketotic now that I had to double my meds and up the prednisone and that had a bad impact on diet compliance, I find I need to cut some things out (I had some "regular traditional foods" lately and that pretty ruined it for me).

I'm not an eater but I've been putting weight on a less than a thousand calories diet (but there was junk in there) and broken feet kept me out of the gym -my bones break easily and heal really slowly.

Luce (in dejunking mode)
    Ouch, broken feet sound painful. My sympathies. Your doctor may or may not be right on that . What meds are you taking other than the prednisone and for what conditions? Saying you "can't afford" to be in ketosis could stem from a mistaken notion that ketosis is somehow stressful or hard on the body. You say you are in "dejunking" mode. Well, where does the body store its junk? Mostly in the fat cells. Burning fat instead of glucose might help your dejunking efforts.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luce View Post

Whoop whoop whoop my alarms are all blaring on this one! Are you doctors working hard on getting to the bottom of this, or just telling you to take some meds and live with "brittle bone disease" or whatever they've labeled you with? Have you investigated fat malabsorption, usually caused by celiac disease or similar? Wow, that is really scary. You need vit A, D, K2, & Magnesium, stat, and to absorb it all, and something's not working in that chain. Prayers for answers for you.

And I"m probably making some bad assumptions somewhere, but it sounds off hand like you should not be limiting calories at all, b/c your body is in desperate need of some nutrients.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Whoop whoop whoop my alarms are all blaring on this one! Are you doctors working hard on getting to the bottom of this, or just telling you to take some meds and live with "brittle bone disease" or whatever they've labeled you with? Have you investigated fat malabsorption, usually caused by celiac disease or similar? Wow, that is really scary. You need vit A, D, K2, & Magnesium, stat, and to absorb it all, and something's not working in that chain. Prayers for answers for you.

And I"m probably making some bad assumptions somewhere, but it sounds off hand like you should not be limiting calories at all, b/c your body is in desperate need of some nutrients.
    I agree, MamaGrok. I heard alarm bells too. I just checked her profile and she tells about having recently been through a severe kidney disorder complete with dialysis. Urgh. That doesn't sound like any fun.
    Luce, I wish you healing and happiness. And MamaGrok is right that limiting calories right now is not your first priority especially since, from looking at your photos, you are at a healthy weight, even on the slim side.

As you referred to it, "dejunking" is where you need to focus.

BigJohn is offline Junior Member
    Hi all, first post here and I was hoping to get some advice.

Basically I hit a plateau which I'm trying to break. I'm at 285lbs now, started out at 350lbs, and been at 285 for a couple of months now. Going from 350 to around 300 or so was pretty damn easy once I found out about Primal. Just regular primal living. My diet was already half-primal anyway, and the other half was horrible SAD-stuff, so it was just a matter of cutting that stuff away and doing some exercise. Going from 300 to 285 was a bit harder, but still relatively effortless. I had to cut fruit too, and make some other changes. But now I'm stuck still.

I found this thread and it seems pretty spot on. The problem is that I can't seem to get a calorie calculation that makes sense. You see, I'm also 6'9", and any BMR seems off to me. I'm not sure if because of my height maybe the formulas don't work? But at any case, any calculation I run gives me something like 2,400 calories a day. Adjusted for even the slightest activity, and I am pretty physically active now, puts it at much over 3,000 calories, even as much as 3,500 calories considering "Lightly Active". So I went on sites like SparkPeople and put in what I eat in a day, and I made sure to pad it and be extra generous, and the most I get is 1,725 calories a day. Which makes sense, as I'm honestly not the kind of person to eat a lot. But according to that, 3,000-1,725 would still put me at a theoretical 1,275 calories a day deficit.

So obviously something here doesn't add up, but I can't figure out what it is. Any advice would be much appreciated.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
    Hi all, first post here and I was hoping to get some advice.

Basically I hit a plateau which I'm trying to break. I'm at 285lbs now, started out at 350lbs, and been at 285 for a couple of months now. Going from 350 to around 300 or so was pretty damn easy once I found out about Primal. Just regular primal living. My diet was already half-primal anyway, and the other half was horrible SAD-stuff, so it was just a matter of cutting that stuff away and doing some exercise. Going from 300 to 285 was a bit harder, but still relatively effortless. I had to cut fruit too, and make some other changes. But now I'm stuck still.

I found this thread and it seems pretty spot on. The problem is that I can't seem to get a calorie calculation that makes sense. You see, I'm also 6'9", and any BMR seems off to me. I'm not sure if because of my height maybe the formulas don't work? But at any case, any calculation I run gives me something like 2,400 calories a day. Adjusted for even the slightest activity, and I am pretty physically active now, puts it at much over 3,000 calories, even as much as 3,500 calories considering "Lightly Active". So I went on sites like SparkPeople and put in what I eat in a day, and I made sure to pad it and be extra generous, and the most I get is 1,725 calories a day. Which makes sense, as I'm honestly not the kind of person to eat a lot. But according to that, 3,000-1,725 would still put me at a theoretical 1,275 calories a day deficit.

So obviously something here doesn't add up, but I can't figure out what it is. Any advice would be much appreciated.
    There is a big discrepancy in the calories needed when eating a normal, crap diet and the calories needed when eating quality food like you will with Primal Blueprint. Many people get frustrated with counting calories, mainly because the calorie calculators are usually figuring too many calories.

I would say the best thing for you would be to get to a point where you are maintaining your weight rather effortlessly for a couple months, and then examine what you are eating and cut back on some things. You may find it easier to cut back on a fat source, like the daily cream in coffee or butter or cheese.

You may also have to play around with carbs and protein, also. You don't want to go too low in either of those, but don't want to be too high either. A good figure is to eat about 100-150g of carbs a day and the same for protein. But you are a mountain of a man, so you may need a little more. Once you get into counting calories and macros, you really set yourself up for a lot of misery!

Good luck dialing in the food needed to lose weight!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    As far as calories, here's what works for me. Find two or three "calorie calculators" online. Input all the information truthfully except for activity. Use the most sedentary choice they have. Do that for your current weight (especially if you've been there for more than a month), and for your goal weight. Take an average of the numbers of all three calculators for both your current and goal weight. If the difference between number of calories to maintain your goal weight and number of calories to maintain your current weight is more than or equal to 500 calories, eat for your goal weight. If it's less than 500 calories, eat 1200 calories a day (for women) or 1500 calories a day (for men).

The main reason I ignore activity levels for weight loss (using online calculators) is that I don't believe that a 160 pound woman (for eg.) is really burning many more calories during exercise than she would at 120 pounds if all her excess weight is fat. Fat is basically metabolically inert. The major difference is that she is carrying around the extra 40 pounds, but based on what I've seen, the increase in "allowed" calories for various activities at various weight increases is too high. The other reason is that I was trained (in my ex-profession) to look at worst case scenarios.

One other thing. Plan a day a week, or a day every 10 days to eat a few hundred calories more. Maybe even plan the same number of days where you eat next to nothing (or half the calories you're eating to lose weight). The body is hugely adaptable, so shaking it up a bit once in awhile may help you avoid plateaus. Or at least really long ones.

Disclaimers: I only know what works for me a couple of friends in real life. It's all anecdotal. Also, 1200 and 1500 calories are arbitrary numbers, but have been around for a long time. Also, whether we lose it slowly or quickly, over 90% of us will put it back on within five years, so you might as well lose it quickly with one caveat: this time, also take the time to plan what to do when you reach goal weight. Things like learning about nutrition, finding the right level of exercise (for your lifestyle, disposition, etc.), and eventually being able to find what you can eat really (not the online calculators) to maintain a healthy weight are things to do as you head toward goal weight. Maybe you can be one of the 10% who keeps it off forever.
    Last edited by JoanieL; 01-15-2013 at 07:09 PM.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.