Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: Calorie Counting Revisited : Distillation and Update page 51

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Just for a reference point Fierce also believes that she has gained "10 lbs of LEAN tissue" in 6 weeks by eating sugar and drinking milk a'la Peat... without ANY heavy lifting. (Impossible BTW... gain sure, lean gain... nope, not without lifting).
    I'm also confused as to why someone in the naturally low-normal to low weight category would spend time counting calories, unless they were trying to be anorexic.

In my own case I don't always count, but I do keep tabs when I feel myself slipping.
    For me 'slipping' means not eating enough rather than eating too much as I have medical issues that cause nausea and lack of appetite. When I slip too low I get very tired and weight loss stalls.
    Last edited by cori93437; 07-14-2012 at 06:49 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Thanks for the encouragement! I was down to around 119 in my juicing days. everyone said how THIN I was...I was skinny, but I didnt feel like I was radiating health at ALL. Interesting to see what 120-125 lbs could look like if I was radiant!

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I am finding on Peat I don't have to count calories as much; I eat what I need and am actually eating more than I have in years with mostly lean tissue results. I would have guessed a few lbs at most when I stepped on the scale; I am in the same size clothes.
    No, I did not lift heavy. I also did not eat one bite of red meat.
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Just for a reference point Fierce also believes that she has gained "10 lbs of LEAN tissue" in 6 weeks by eating sugar and drinking milk a'la Peat... without ANY heavy lifting. (Impossible BTW... gain sure, lean gain... nope, not without lifting).
    I'm also confused as to why someone in the naturally low-normal to low weight category would spend time counting calories, unless they were trying to be anorexic.

In my own case I don't always count, but I do keep tabs when I feel myself slipping.
    For me 'slipping' means not eating enough rather than eating too much as I have medical issues that cause nausea and lack of appetite. When I slip too low I get very tired and weight loss stalls.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    I am finding on Peat I don't have to count calories as much; I eat what I need and am actually eating more than I have in years with mostly lean tissue results. I would have guessed a few lbs at most when I stepped on the scale; I am in the same size clothes.
    No, I did not lift heavy. I also did not eat one bite of red meat.
    What does RED meat have to do with anything?
    Lots of people add muscle without red meat... because protein is available from lots of other sources. Derp.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Hi everyone,

I'm a n00b to this WOE. Female, 50s. This past September I was sitting on my butt watching tv and a commercial with Alec Baldwin came on, and I was amazed at how great he looked. I immediately googled around and he mentioned eating "low carb high fat". I stumbled across this site LCHF for beginners | DietDoctor.com and started following the diet immediately. That was October 1, 2012. By October 31 (one month) I had lost 30 lbs, and was happily in ketosis, and never hungry. Then the stall happened. I didn't lose a pound in November and I didn't lose a pound in December. In mid-December I did a bit more googling, found this board, bought the book, and made the slight changes I needed to to follow PB. Feeling great. But still no weight loss. So frustrating!!

I read all 502 pages of the Before and Afters. I read all of the Eat Moar Fat posts. And then I found this.

Four days ago I started counting calories, and started exercising. I've already lost 2 lbs. It is absolutely what I needed, and many thanks to paleobird for starting it, and for everyone's contributions. Your comments and thoughts keep lurkers like me motivated and inspired!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm a n00b to this WOE. Female, 50s. This past September I was sitting on my butt watching tv and a commercial with Alec Baldwin came on, and I was amazed at how great he looked. I immediately googled around and he mentioned eating "low carb high fat". I stumbled across this site LCHF for beginners | DietDoctor.com and started following the diet immediately. That was October 1, 2012. By October 31 (one month) I had lost 30 lbs, and was happily in ketosis, and never hungry. Then the stall happened. I didn't lose a pound in November and I didn't lose a pound in December. In mid-December I did a bit more googling, found this board, bought the book, and made the slight changes I needed to to follow PB. Feeling great. But still no weight loss. So frustrating!!

I read all 502 pages of the Before and Afters. I read all of the Eat Moar Fat posts. And then I found this.

Four days ago I started counting calories, and started exercising. I've already lost 2 lbs. It is absolutely what I needed, and many thanks to paleobird for starting it, and for everyone's contributions. Your comments and thoughts keep lurkers like me motivated and inspired!
    Hi Little Vase and Welcome,

I'm so glad that you are seeing good results. Stay with it.

So often the arguments around here devolve into people lining up in two extreme camps, one that says calories are ALL that matter and one that says they are totally irrelevant. Just "going HF/LC" isn't going to work if you are still eating way more calories than you need. It's all about finding the macro ratio that works for you AND keeping it in the context of total calories.

I wish you well.

Thanks for the welcome.

I find that this is the magic bullet for me, and a way I can continue to eat (happily) for the rest of my life, with possible tweaks here and there for various reasons. And calorie counting combined with being in ketosis is a breeze for this portion of the losing weight for me. I also just started exercising (treadmill walking and recumbent biking), which of course helps, and is making me feel great. I also have a narrow-ish eating window - I'm eating mainly between 12-6 during the day, two meals. I like making two meals more calorie and nutrient dense rather than spread the cals out over three skimpier meals. It works for me, and I'm never hungry in the morning anyway.

I just joined SparksPeople to track my progress and goals, thanks to this post. It's just loaded with all kinds of helpful info

La Carnera is offline Member
    This is one of the reasons you're one of my favourite posters, Paleobird. Smart, useful and kind (plus, your nickname).
    Thank you very much for the impeccable post!

This is also extremelly timely, as I am tired of pretending I do not condemn myself to weight "unloss" - or even gain - daily.
    Well, and therefore I don't lose anything. Yesterday news, right?

Well, my case?
    1940 cals/day (physical activity level took in account)
    1440 cals/day to create the usual deficit

125 grams protein/day = 500 cals
    => 100 grams carbs/day = 400 cals (I won't commit to go under 100 grams)
    => 540 cals from fat, which gives 60 grams fat/day.

Clear as air: 1440cals = 125g P + 100g C + 60g F
    Now the shock will follow as I am going to realize what 60 grams of fat, look like - I mean, food-wise.
    Last edited by La Carnera; 01-05-2013 at 02:21 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    And calorie counting combined with being in ketosis is a breeze for this portion of the losing weight for me. I also just started exercising (treadmill walking and recumbent biking), which of course helps, and is making me feel great. I also have a narrow-ish eating window - I'm eating mainly between 12-6 during the day, two meals. I like making two meals more calorie and nutrient dense rather than spread the cals out over three skimpier meals. It works for me, and I'm never hungry in the morning anyway.

I just joined SparksPeople to track my progress and goals, thanks to this post. It's just loaded with all kinds of helpful info
    Yes, ketosis makes it easier for me too. I have no appetite for 3 meals/day. Usually I eat about 1.5 meals, like one real full meal and one snack.
    I used sparkpeople also and found it very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by La Carnera View Post
    This is one of the reasons you're one of my favourite posters, Paleobird. Smart, useful and kind (plus, your nickname).
    Thank you very much for the impeccable post!

This is also extremelly timely, as I am tired of pretending I do not condemn myself to weight "unloss" - or even gain - daily.
    Well, and therefore I don't lose anything. Yesterday news, right?

Well, my case?
    1940 cals/day (physical activity level took in account)
    1440 cals/day to create the usual deficit

125 grams protein/day = 500 cals
    => 100 grams carbs/day = 400 cals (I won't commit to go under 100 grams)
    => 540 cals from fat, which gives 60 grams fat/day.

Clear as air: 1440cals = 125g P + 100g C + 60g F
    Now the shock will follow as I am going to realize what 60 grams of fat, look like - I mean, food-wise.
    Aww. You made me blush. Thank you. I'm glad it could help.

Well, most butters are about 100 cal/tbsp. That doesn't mean you need to eat 5.4 spoonfuls of butter however. A lot of your fat is going to be already included in your meat.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have lost 2 more lbs. So that's 4 in less than one week - 4 days, really. Now that I see this is viable I'm going to stop weighing myself obsessively every day and go to a once a week weigh-in ;P

So, what is working for me very well right now is a combination of these things: easy exercise (I'm just walking and doing light cycling), eating two meals a day (lunch and dinner), being in ketosis (I am 100% primal and love it), counting calories, not snacking, and using SparkPeople to track my data.

I have not yet done any of the PB Fitness exercises or the LHT although I plan to.

Just putting this here in case it helps anyone else the way the other posts have helped me.

Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast