Page 50 of 54 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: Calorie Counting Revisited : Distillation and Update page 50

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    I calorie restricted most of the last 15 years, had a stable weight of 97-102 for most of the 2000s then in late 2000s ate the same and moved more & now more or less underweight. It just occurred to me that in my 20s I never weighed much more than 110, never counted calories etc- ugh just such a waste of time. These days I calorie cycle ie allow myself to eat a lot more some days and less others for an average of about 1600 calories a day which seems to be maintenance for me and I bet I can eat even more than that and not gain lol.

Efffffff the calorie theory.
    This is easy to say for someone who is very thin and always has been.

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    I calorie restricted most of the last 15 years, had a stable weight of 97-102 for most of the 2000s then in late 2000s ate the same and moved more & now more or less underweight. It just occurred to me that in my 20s I never weighed much more than 110, never counted calories etc- ugh just such a waste of time. These days I calorie cycle ie allow myself to eat a lot more some days and less others for an average of about 1600 calories a day which seems to be maintenance for me and I bet I can eat even more than that and not gain lol.

Efffffff the calorie theory.
    You are young. 1600 calories is not a lot for any one. You need to give it time, young padawan, you will see ab fat in your future. Meanwhile, keep on being cocky!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    It's a personal choice. You don't want to calorie count? Don't. You want to calorie count? Do.

It doesn't mean that one person is super awesome and the other person isn't. It means that it works for some people and it doesn't. Seriously, no bigs.

No one is demanding that *someone else must calorie count!* it's simply "hey, this works for me, that didn't, maybe you should try this too, whatever.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    and btw, fierce hunter claims to be nearing 40.

i don't happen to calorie count either. it's just not something that i feel is necessary. but, that beign said, i do it on occasion just to 'check' -- usually after reading a thread here where people are asking questions about calories/ratios/etc -- and it always clocks in about the same, so. . . yeah. No big deal.

Oh, and i'm 35, gonna be 36 in a few months; no major health problems -- gained weight at age 20 due to prolactin/pituitary tumor/emotional eating. Lost it as a vegan triathlete, kept it off while vegetarian/generally active, became paleo to make it easier for family feeding in light of DH's health issues, and here i am.

I would say that since being paleo i have lsot weight/inches (probably about 5-8 lbs, and definitely an inch to two off the waist), so i'm happy with these results. But i probably ate the same calories all along. I ahve good hunger signals and I follow them.

but again, just becuase I don't do it, that doesn't mean that calorie counting is bad, or isn't a great tool.
    Last edited by zoebird; 06-01-2012 at 12:59 AM.

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    Long time lurker, first post. Read this whole thread and I think Paleobird is onto something and has clearly proved a method that works for her.
    I am a 30 year old male (starting weight two months ago 103kg/227lbs, currently 95kg/209lbs, still a way to go but on the right track I think) and the steps described in the first post make sense to me. I personally really needed high dietary fat period to actually start to lose any weight. I didn't lose anything for about a month and then BAM, 10lbs less in a few days after upping the fat in my diet. I no longer have any cravings and have done a few 24 and 36 hour fasts without too much effort. This would have been unthinkable just a few months ago so I guess I am being healed and I actually have a lot more energy and mental clarity.
    That said, what I take on board from this is that I shouldn't go overboard with the dietary fat and probably see it as a phase I had to go through for healing my body and controlling cravings (turning into a fat burning beast instead of a wounded sugar burning animal). I don't think I have the discipline to actually count calories and weigh my food, but "portion control" is definitely something I can work with now that I have my appetite under control. For me: eat right and you'll automatically eat far fewer calories and carbs. Combined with 2-3 kettlebell work-outs a week and it seems to work well so far.
    Getting married in 2 months time so not much time to get into shape!

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    THIS is a fabulous thread. Just started tracking calories this week. Staying around1600-1700, but imagine I've been eating well over 2000 previously (from chocolate indulgences and nuts!)

However, it says ideal % BF is 20 for women...this would put me at 117 lbs. I think I would be emaciated at that weight. I'm more of a muscular build to begin with, but I assume this is just a guide. At 135 currently I know I would be better off closer to 125! (5'4.5")

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I also have great success counting calories within a protein rich eating plan. And I never feel deprived or starved. I stay within 1200 calories five or six days a week, then give myself two days where I can eat up to 1600. I do this so my body doesn't acclimate to the 1200.

Having a mini binge day (maybe 1700 calories) also seems to break pesky plateaus. Same weight for more than 10 days? Mini binge and almost always, a couple of pounds disappears.

When I'm foolish enough to tell this to people in real life, they often tell me it's too calorically restrictive. I turn out that noise like I turn out the noise of the garbage collectors at 4am.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingPig View Post
    That said, what I take on board from this is that I shouldn't go overboard with the dietary fat and probably see it as a phase I had to go through for healing my body and controlling cravings (turning into a fat burning beast instead of a wounded sugar burning animal). I don't think I have the discipline to actually count calories and weigh my food, but "portion control" is definitely something I can work with now that I have my appetite under control.
    Getting married in 2 months time so not much time to get into shape!
    Exactly. And Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    THIS is a fabulous thread. Just started tracking calories this week. Staying around1600-1700, but imagine I've been eating well over 2000 previously (from chocolate indulgences and nuts!)

However, it says ideal % BF is 20 for women...this would put me at 117 lbs. I think I would be emaciated at that weight. I'm more of a muscular build to begin with, but I assume this is just a guide. At 135 currently I know I would be better off closer to 125! (5'4.5")
    All of those official table are just starting points. Also 117 pound with some muscled involved looks a lot different than the skinny fashion model look.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I also have great success counting calories within a protein rich eating plan. And I never feel deprived or starved. I stay within 1200 calories five or six days a week, then give myself two days where I can eat up to 1600. I do this so my body doesn't acclimate to the 1200.

Having a mini binge day (maybe 1700 calories) also seems to break pesky plateaus. Same weight for more than 10 days? Mini binge and almost always, a couple of pounds disappears.

When I'm foolish enough to tell this to people in real life, they often tell me it's too calorically restrictive. I turn out that noise like I turn out the noise of the garbage collectors at 4am.
    Sounds like a good plan. And I agree about the noise factor. Thank people for their concern and move on.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    I corroborate this posting. I'm mathematically inclined and if 'you don't measure it' you can't change it. I knowingly have been counting calories and tracking percentages of fat/protein/calories from day 1. I'm currently on Day 21 with 7 lbs weight loss and 3" between waist and hips. I never go above 1500 calories per day, with the emphasis on protein and carbs. My ratios are 50 grams carbs, 70-90 grams fat and 70-90 grams of protein. I'm 5"10" with a current weight of 154 (down from 161lbs). I'm watching the count daily and loss is steady and predictable. This is coupled with walking 30-40km per week and a 'steadily active lifestyle'. Great posting.

/louisa
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    I'm mathematically inclined and if 'you don't measure it' you can't change it.
    /louisa
    Exactly. If you don't know where you are, how can you know where you are going?

Page 50 of 54 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast