Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 532

Thread: Calorie Counting Revisited : Distillation and Update page 5

  1. #41
    TigerLily's Avatar
    TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    metro Portland
    Posts
    3,250
    Shop Now
    I awoke thinking of this this morning.

    I wonder if the above is part of the reason Paleo women don't seem to struggle with weight loss/plateaus as much, at least not from what I can see. I'd always figured it was the dairy, but perhaps this is the second piece to the puzzle.

    Anyway, CONGRATS, Robin! Twelve pounds, lost so quickly and easily, on a body that's pretty close to target to begin with, is significant.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

  2. #42
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by j_wren View Post
    This is me. I've been PB now for nearly 3 months and while I feel great and have lost a little, I haven't lost much. I've only got about 10 'vanity' pounds left so it's pretty hard, but I think you may be on to something. I was wondering if you tell me what a typical day's menu looks like for you. I'm trying to play around with fitday and sparkpeople to find a good 1400-1500 calorie day with the macros you mentioned and I'm just wondering how you do it. I'm thinking lots of boiled eggs and lean meat? Any other advice?
    I have found fitday to be off by a significant amount on several occasions when I checked their database against foods with nutritional labels. Just sayin'.

    Typical menu...hmm....I have settled in on a two meal a day plan (I'm just not hungry for 3 and if I only do 1 a la leangains, I tend to overdo it on the one big meal. Also there was some evidence brought out in the original thread about huge chunks of protein all at once like that causing insulin spikes.)

    Usually eggs in the morning, somewhere between 4 and 6. Mix in some spinach or salsa fresca, yumm.

    Dinner is protein + salad or other veg
    Favorite proteins lately:
    seafood
    chicken cooked in the crock pot
    lamb
    goat (dirt cheap and delicious)
    kangaroo
    bison
    venison
    elk
    I have gotten over my aversion to offal. Heart makes the best jerky and liver is really quite good if cooked well.

    With these protein dense but relatively non-fatty sources, you can eat a large quantity without overdoing the calories. I find it more satisfying than a smaller quantity of something fatty like brisket or bacon.

    For veggies, I have gotten away from the roots like carrots and parsnips and the winter squashes like acorn and butternut for the time being, yummy but too carb heavy. I stick to lots of BIG Big Ass Salads. Otherwise I eat what is organic and in season.

    I found some whey protein powder that I use as a supplement now and then. Mark's Primal Fuel is yummy but it includes a lot of coconut which adds nothing to the protein, only excess fat and calories galore. I drank too many of those at Primalcon and put back on 4 lbs then had to get them off again. The brand I use is Hammer Nutrition and it is only minimally sweetened with stevia. It's good for, in the evening if you look at your sparkpeople numbers and see that you are coming up a little short on protein but don't want to add too many calories, you can make a shake as a nightcap or sometimes you just don't have the time or the inclination for eggs in the morning.

  3. #43
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by grokina View Post
    I appreciate this discussion. I feel great on the PB, but, if anything, I've gained fat. And, TMI, but my PMS has gotten so much worse. Lately I've been looking into dairy in depth, and given all the growth factors and hormones present, even in organic/raw, I've chosen to eliminate it on a trial basis. Reading this thread and some other sources (berkhan, mcdonald, etc.) prompted me to re-evaluate my fat intake in relation to protein. This week, I've upped protein significantly and cut fat, and already my clothes fit better and I can see changes. I plan to continue this, in addition to IF. Feeling pretty hopeful!
    Excellent. I really found that getting the dairy out of my system was helpful too. While I wasn't "lactose intolerant" per se, it was giving me a chronic low level case of stuffed up sinuses without which I feel like I'm getting much better sleep.

  4. #44
    Kvalhion's Avatar
    Kvalhion is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    110
    Excellent information! For most of my weight loss I have just been going by how I feel and rough estimates, however I think keeping track of calories would be a good idea. I tend to eat the same meals that I enjoy fairly often, so once I calculate what the meal comprises it will be easy to keep track of. Most of the foods I buy have the nutritional information on the label that I can add as a custom food if it's not already in the online food database. I am also doing the 16/8 or 20/4 intermittent fasting so there's only one or two meals a day on average that I'll need to track.

    Thanks for putting all the info together!

  5. #45
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    Like Paleo, I got to where I increased fat and lo & behold I stopped losing. I lowered fat intake recently and am noticing that I do seem to be losing fat now. This is my question(I suck at math so forgive me). I got through to step 3 in the HSIS calculations but can't seem to figure out what to do from there. I'm 5'5 and multiplied by .0254 and got 1.651. Multiplied 22.5x1.7x1.7=65.025 kg. 65.025x2.2=143lb. I can't figure out the rest. I am totally lost.
    Hi Georgette,
    Yes Peril was being helpful to those who use the metric system, but for us yanks, it added another layer of math. At 5'5" your HSIS weight is about 125. At 20% body fat that is 100lbs of lean mass. I would set the range of grams of protein needed per day (on whatever tracking device you are using) between these two numbers 100-125.

  6. #46
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    I awoke thinking of this this morning.

    I wonder if the above is part of the reason Paleo women don't seem to struggle with weight loss/plateaus as much, at least not from what I can see. I'd always figured it was the dairy, but perhaps this is the second piece to the puzzle.

    Anyway, CONGRATS, Robin! Twelve pounds, lost so quickly and easily, on a body that's pretty close to target to begin with, is significant.
    *clink* (the sound of pennies dropping)

    Thanks, It's good to feel like things are finally moving after such a long time of going nowhere fast.

  7. #47
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kvalhion View Post
    Excellent information! For most of my weight loss I have just been going by how I feel and rough estimates, however I think keeping track of calories would be a good idea. I tend to eat the same meals that I enjoy fairly often, so once I calculate what the meal comprises it will be easy to keep track of. Most of the foods I buy have the nutritional information on the label that I can add as a custom food if it's not already in the online food database. I am also doing the 16/8 or 20/4 intermittent fasting so there's only one or two meals a day on average that I'll need to track.

    Thanks for putting all the info together!
    You're welcome. I'm glad it could help.
    Yes, intuitive eating is pretty easy for the first part of your weight loss journey. It's when you get down to those last few pounds that you need to keep a closer eye on things. Careful with the fasting. I know it's all the hot topic right now but there is some evidence that, if you get all of your protein for the day in one huge meal, it can cause insulin to spike.

  8. #48
    geostump's Avatar
    geostump is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ohio, its not the heart of it all
    Posts
    10,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Hi Georgette,
    Yes Peril was being helpful to those who use the metric system, but for us yanks, it added another layer of math. At 5'5" your HSIS weight is about 125. At 20% body fat that is 100lbs of lean mass. I would set the range of grams of protein needed per day (on whatever tracking device you are using) between these two numbers 100-125.
    The ironic part of that number is my lean mass is more or less around 150. Been that way since I did body for life back in 2006-2007.

  9. #49
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    The ironic part of that number is my lean mass is more or less around 150. Been that way since I did body for life back in 2006-2007.
    150 is your lean mass at your current weight and BF composition, not your ideal. Some people recommend going with this number (like Art deVany) but I think it might be a bit high unless you are doing Batty level heavy lifting workouts.

  10. #50
    Kelda's Avatar
    Kelda is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern Scotland
    Posts
    383
    Paleo

    Yep, I can vouch for yoga, an excellent stress-reliever and yes you are quite right it's down to the invidual on how you deal with stress I think I cracked that one (see my Primacy of the Individual and Parenting post) now just have to let the hormones settle again!!!

    We shall see if I now get back on track. The 10-30-60 split was what brought me back down before and I have to keep the carbs low and eating too much protein gives me an insulin issue, this split works for me provided I keep the overall calories correct. I was getting around 120 gs of protein for the 1700 or so calories which is the high end for my weight (128 ish lbs).

    BTW I forgot to say congrats on the weight loss!

    I'm going to start a thread about cortisol and fat storage particularly pertaining to women as I've been having some thoughts about that.

    Currently reading Alan Watts, Tao; The Watercourse Way.
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •