Page 48 of 54 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Calorie Counting Revisited : Distillation and Update page 48

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    How many weeks did it take to get where you are?
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

denasqu is offline Senior Member
    Well I don't really expect that it will take the years to lose 150 ponds but if it does, that's still better than gaining. Regardless, I'm still counting calories for a while. It really just seems like my body is under repair now.
    Last edited by denasqu; 04-15-2012 at 07:50 PM.
    "If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?" - Tom Snyder, talk show host

mustard is offline Junior Member
    I'm losing .5 per month. I'd be overjoyed to lose a pound a week.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Losing is better than gaining, and while I would be thrilled to be losing a pound a week (I have about 90 left to lose), any loss is celebrated.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    That's a 150 weeks!
    It's a long time, but you get to enjoy a changing body along the way. You know, first its that old clothes fit. Then they need to be dried on high. Then the clothes I bought on sale and could not wear fit. Now I can tuck in shirt and wear a belt.

My thighs don't rub when I walk....

It really is good to consider where you were at times. It may be 3 years... but ina year, your body will be that much better. I mean, we did not go from 12% body fat to obese in a year. Gonna take a while to go the other way as well.

There are faster ways to lose, but really hard to maintain- you could do weightloss surgery (still I have yet to see a weightloss surgery person that actually looked healthy and robust), you could do the biggest loser style work your ass off and starve. My friends husband did HCG and looks smaller.... which is great, but he does not actually *look good*. He looks weak and deflated and is returning to old habits.

So our deal is not so bad here!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I'd suspect that at 150lbs to lose it'll go faster than a pound a week at some point. Especially if you are a guy. Even for me, middle-aged woman with 30-45lbs to lose, it went way faster at the beginning. Now the loss is way less than 1lb a week. This of course if frustrating but at least it's a net loss and not a slow creep upward.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    So weird, posted in here yesterday. Ah well.

Good to see Paleobird again! Hey, girl!

denasqu is offline Senior Member
    It seems to me that stress has a lot to do with it. I'm still feeling much better but the last couple weeks have added a lot of work stress and it seems like my plumbing has just shut down. I'm still consuming an average of 1500-2000 calories per day with only one day over 2000 and zero days over 100 grams of carbs.

The nicest part is that it's not really taking any special effort. I just eat what I'm supposed to and the numbers just fall in to place. I definitely wouldn't trade where I'm at today for where I was a month ago.
    Last edited by denasqu; 04-15-2012 at 07:55 PM.
    "If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?" - Tom Snyder, talk show host

mrmono1 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    Losing is better than gaining, and while I would be thrilled to be losing a pound a week (I have about 90 left to lose), any loss is celebrated.
    I couldnt agree more, loosing is alot more exciting than gaining

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex26 View Post
    Hey Paleobird,

I've got another question for you: A lot of people say, if you're hungry, eat. Sometimes it's possible for me to feel really hungry outside of the 1500 calories I have set (even though I'm usually not). Should I accept that hunger as a necessary part of resetting my body's homeostasis? I've been reading more material from people like Chris Kresser that says the body will actually fight to stay at its current weight, so even if you've eaten enough nutritionally, your body will urge you to eat more just to maintain what it has:

Why It’s So Hard To Lose Weight – And Keep It Off

Personally, I believe my plateau (similar to yours because the first 30 came off easy) has more to do with my stress levels. I've officially given myself a break on losing weight until I get a job and am not so financially strapped. But I'm still wondering what role you think this homeostasis thing might be playing.
    Hi There,
    Sorry for the late reply. I was out of the country for a month or so.

Yes I think Chris Kesser has a valid point about the body wanting to maintain a setpoint but I don't think that that is the only factor at work. I think some of our over-indulgence in larger quantities of food than we really need is just habit, a mental setpoint if you will. We have to get past the restaurant inspired gigantic portions plus we have to get past that idea that hunger is a reason for panic. It's perfectly OK to be hungry. For Grok it would have been a reminder to start organizing the next hunting trip. We have instant gratification because our hunting trip just involves the strenuous task of opening the fridge.

There is a book called Diet Evolution by a Dr. Stephen Gundry that posits that the cravings people feel when trying to cut back on their intake are really a sign from the body that it is being overfed but under-nourished. There is some essential nutrient (s) missing and your body is telling you to keep foraging because you might find it on that next tree. The body doesn't have a way to tell you, "I need more B12 please", it is just telling you to keep looking. This could be another factor.

You are very right about the stress factor but don't wait for that perfect stress-free moment in life to start making changes 'cause we all know that never really comes.

Page 48 of 54 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast