Page 47 of 54 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: Calorie Counting Revisited : Distillation and Update page 47

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerbutter View Post
    Absolutely it's a male/female difference biologically. Our bodies hold onto fat more for our own protection as well as the ability to have babies. We as the baby birthers need more calories and better bodily support during pregnancy. We didn't develop birth control until probably tens of thousands of years ago or so, noting which plants helped to reduce/inhibit fertility. When we did have children we typically breast them for far longer than we do today, about 3-4 years, which also helped reduce fertility. After the first year, feedings were probably only two-four times a day of 4-8 oz. This is partly nutrition but also where the children, at their most vulnerable growth stages also got their immunity via mothers milk. Point being this alone requires a great deal of the female body and we HAVE to hold onto the macro nutrients in order to support the baby machine or both have much higher risks of dying. Great for back in the Paleo day, not so great right now.
    Exactly. Also it varies based on the stage you are in in your weight loss. Many people, men and women, lose weight really easily at first but then hit a stall on that last few pounds. For me the first 30 fell off like magic just by going low carb. The last 35, I had to watch my caloric intake too.

But it worked. And I have kept it off.

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    Hey Paleobird,

I've got another question for you: A lot of people say, if you're hungry, eat. Sometimes it's possible for me to feel really hungry outside of the 1500 calories I have set (even though I'm usually not). Should I accept that hunger as a necessary part of resetting my body's homeostasis? I've been reading more material from people like Chris Kresser that says the body will actually fight to stay at its current weight, so even if you've eaten enough nutritionally, your body will urge you to eat more just to maintain what it has:

Why It’s So Hard To Lose Weight – And Keep It Off

Personally, I believe my plateau (similar to yours because the first 30 came off easy) has more to do with my stress levels. I've officially given myself a break on losing weight until I get a job and am not so financially strapped. But I'm still wondering what role you think this homeostasis thing might be playing.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

denasqu is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    To gain weight, I'd have to eat over 3000 calories of low-carb primal food daily, or at least 2500 calories of starchy primal food. It's just sad to me that anyone fails to lose weight, and that some have actually gained weight.
    I'm glad I stumbled across this thread because I was beginning to get flustered with all the "eat more bacon" dogma. Your post jumped out at me because I know without a doubt that if I eat more than 2000 calories a day on a regular basis, I'll gain weight. This was true under a SAD and now it appears to be true under a primal diet. The good news is that it's really hard for me to put away 2000+ calories under the primal diet.

It must have a lot to do with metabolic damage because at 6'1" and 300+ pounds, every source I've come across says that I'll burn more than 2000 calories just by breathing. Well that just ain't true for me.

Like the OP, my "numbers" are right on target every time I've checked and I definitely feel better. Allergies have cleared up, which is huge, and my energy level is pretty level for the most part (which is a big improvement). But losing a pound or two a week isn't going to cut it.

I'm eating loads of fat at every meal. Virtually no fruit or dairy (about 3 servings of fruit and about 2 ounces of cheese and maybe 2 tbsp of cream in 3 weeks). No sweets. No snacking during the day but late night is another issue. 99% primal. And my caloric intake is usually around 1500-2000 per day. I'm quite satisfied and occasionally full! Never hungry. But I fear I'm starting to backward and could possibly actually gain weight if I don't watch it.

I'm fairly active for my size but true exercise has proven very difficult so I guess I'm going to have to get real creative. Particularly frustrating is that when I did this two years ago I had fantastic weight loss results for the 3 months that I was committed ... but then I started at 50lbs less and was consequently much more active right out of the gate. My food allergies and IBS symptoms were actually worse two years ago than they were this time. Both times the cleared up right away. So I'm left to wonder about the activity level and caloric intake.

Looks like I'll be logging things for a while... both calories and exercise as well as P-F-C.
    "If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?" - Tom Snyder, talk show host

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Like the OP, my "numbers" are right on target every time I've checked and I definitely feel better. Allergies have cleared up, which is huge, and my energy level is pretty level for the most part (which is a big improvement). But losing a pound or two a week isn't going to cut it.
    I feel that way too- a pound or two a week sucks. BUT, when I look at how I starved and overworked my body in the past to lose weight or just maintain- the pound or two a week loss while being good to myself looks like a pretty sweet deal.

I look at success stories- oh yeah- jealous ofthe people who lost 40-50 lbs in a few months. But when I look at just my experience with weightloss and factor in all the years of starving, chronic cardio to lose... less than 1 or 2 pounds a week, Primal looks pretty effective because I can live a real life without worrying about packing on pounds and while gradually getting smaller.

nikitakolata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I feel that way too- a pound or two a week sucks. BUT, when I look at how I starved and overworked my body in the past to lose weight or just maintain- the pound or two a week loss while being good to myself looks like a pretty sweet deal.

I look at success stories- oh yeah- jealous ofthe people who lost 40-50 lbs in a few months. But when I look at just my experience with weightloss and factor in all the years of starving, chronic cardio to lose... less than 1 or 2 pounds a week, Primal looks pretty effective because I can live a real life without worrying about packing on pounds and while gradually getting smaller.
    I would kill for 1 or 2 pounds a week! My weight loss has been awful. Part of it is that I was completely derailed by my vacation where there were very few vegetables to be found, but even since I've been back, nothing. No significant loss before my vacation either, for that matter. I've seen doctors, I've read everything I can on the forums, I'm very low carb, doing a ton of walking (10,000 steps a day) and I'm working on doing more weight/bodyweight training. It is so frustrating. I've even been IFing at least 3 times a week.

So, the point is, be proud of what you have accomplished. It's certainly better than anything I have to show for this lifestyle. I contemplate going back to CW every day even though I know it isn't actually very healthy.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    I can relate, 1 or 2 pounds a week would be a blessing. I will lose a bunch and then all of a sudden gain half of it back, then slowly re-lose it. It does not matter what I do. On average I am losing but, since I started primal last August I have only lost 16 pounds. I had lost 22 in the 4 previous months doing Atkins before I found primal. And even the Atkins had stalled the last 6 weeks I was on it (thus the search that led me to find of Primal).
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, come on! A pound or two a week is ideal! We lose a lot at first mostly because of water weight. I can't even get a pound or two off a week.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Okay, I'll be more patient.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the improvements I've had but I'm these improvements aren't as incredible as the results I was getting two years ago and I'm much more primal this time around. Last time I was skirting the edges of "primal" all the time but dropping weight like crazy... of course I also returned to a SAD. This time I'm much more focused on a permanent life-style change. Even my "cheats" aren't very inspired because I just don't the desire for SAD foods. I "cheat" by having a sweet juicy pear or a piece of cheese.

I did achieve one of my fitness goals with 5000 steps yesterday. But I also cheated with a Five Guys cheeseburger and yes... I ate the bun too. Although, Even as I was eating the bun I would have preferred just to eat the good stuff .. just didn't have the tools handy to dis-assemble the sandwich.
    "If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?" - Tom Snyder, talk show host

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    A pound a week isn't going to cut it? What??? I've lost at about that rate, in fits and starts. It's been miraculous.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

That's a 150 weeks!

Page 47 of 54 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast