Page 45 of 54 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Calorie Counting Revisited : Distillation and Update page 45

Tuckerbutter is offline Junior Member
    I get my fat from my meat or nuts, was doing 3 tablespoons 3-4 times a day but have drawn that down as sometimes with my protein intake, I hit that 100g of fat real quick.
    I'm kinda confused with the nuts though, do I count those carbs too? Because I dropped the nuts this week, as even on just two servings I would go over my carbs. I eat a deluxe mix, with almonds, brazil nuts, and cashews with the serving size being 3Tbls. I'm just trying to get everything set so I can just repeat my meals and not have to worry about it all. I'm still in the impatient phase and I'm guessing my body isn't totally switched over to utilizing fat. I'm trying to tighten my cal intake and doing well keeping it under 1600 cals most days, though sometimes I struggle to have more than 1200, some days not being hungry.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    if you are counting carbs, you count them all.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I want to know why it was so easy for me. Why do so many people struggle? I've lost 50 pounds and have nice abs, can do tons of body-weight workouts, and still eat globs of fat every day. I did cut back on the coconut milk and it did help get through those last few pounds. But I never eat bacon. It's trash. Tons of coconut oil, beef tallow, and avocado. Pound of meat a day is the goal - salmon, eggs, lamb, duck, grass-fed ground beef, a pound of liver, other odds and ends I might find. Greens and berries on the side, lots of herbs and some teas. I sip a bite of honey once a day for my allergies and take vitamin D every few days, and plenty of bone broth. Seaweed once or twice a week. It makes me mad that this doesn't work for everyone. Or are all you idiots eating bacon?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Not an idiot, thank you very much. And if you are mad that it doesn't work for everyone you can imagine how I feel since I am one of the ones it doesn't work for.

Never eat bacon or any food of that sort. Coconut oil and avocado in moderation. 9 different fruits and veggies a day, (not necessarily full servings) none starch. teas, herbs, spices, coffee, with a tablespoon of cream in the morning, other than that no dairy. Coconut milk on occasion in my tea as a treat. Stevia as sweetener when needed. bone broth based soup for lunch daily.

I suspect that age, gender, past history among other things make a difference.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

No, you're not idiots. I'm just frustrated to see so many people struggle. Yes, there are many factors to consider, and it is mostly true that everyone's health has improved once they cut the junk out of their diet and went to eating real food. As for the weight loss, it baffles me that it doesn't happen automatically. To gain weight, I'd have to eat over 3000 calories of low-carb primal food daily, or at least 2500 calories of starchy primal food. It's just sad to me that anyone fails to lose weight, and that some have actually gained weight.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    No, you're not idiots. I'm just frustrated to see so many people struggle. Yes, there are many factors to consider, and it is mostly true that everyone's health has improved once they cut the junk out of their diet and went to eating real food. As for the weight loss, it baffles me that it doesn't happen automatically. To gain weight, I'd have to eat over 3000 calories of low-carb primal food daily, or at least 2500 calories of starchy primal food. It's just sad to me that anyone fails to lose weight, and that some have actually gained weight.
    I really think sometimes it's a gender thing. I notice most of the paleo/primal gurus are men, who talk about effortless weight loss.

I am pretty strict in my primal/paleo eating. If I don't weigh/measure, though, I don't lose weight. I'm trying now to just cut back portions and see where that gets me. I don't want to be fanatical about the calorie counting, but I know that if I eat liberally of the fats and proteins, I'll not gain weight, but I also won't lose.

That said, I feel fantastic. I am rarely hungry. And that's awesome. I'm much more content with my weight when I feel good. Nothing sucks more than feeling like you're going to gnaw your arm off, and staying stuck at the same measurements.

It's true. All the stuff Mark describes about not really being hungry, floating on the edge of ketosis and dipping in and out of it with ease, all seems to happen for me. With all the hormonal variations between men and women, it should be evident that many women would need a slightly different approach. I know there are already tons of threads for women with specific strategies for cutting that fat and optimizing their health. Has Mark addressed this in a blog post? I wonder if there should be a female-specific sub-forum for this whole topic...

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    There should be. I think women get closer to the results men have as they get more muscle because ultimately that has a huge effect on metabolism. Also, I am willing to lay bets that women have more stress in their lives. People judge and expect more from women in general, so we consistently have a lot more shit to take care of/put up with.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

People judge and expect more from women in general
    Maybe in some cases. But usually you can't really get women out of your business. They really like shove the men out of the way, take control, and do it all themselves. So they really shouldn't complain about having more to do, because they wanted it that way. So we let you. And it probably hurts us both.

DISCLAIMER: This is a generalization in response to the first generalization. All limitations to consistency and applicability are duly noted.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I suspect that it comes down to evolution and genetics. Men and women are different and that is a very good thing! They likely had different roles and therefore evolved adaptations to maximize their roles. Now why that means it is generally so much harder for us to lose weight, I wish I knew. But, at least for me, it was not automatic with the switch to primal, sadly. Would have been nice!
    Chris
    Unknown

Page 45 of 54 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast