Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Calorie Counting Revisited : Distillation and Update page 44

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I just can't believe it's all that terribly important to eat 15 minutes after waking (or whatever it is.) Like what if it's 16 minutes, or 31? Is all lost? Seems silly to me. But the idea of restoring circadian rhythms to people who have gotten out of whack seems really important so I can see the value.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    It does not have to be precise, sbhikes. This isn't magic. You want to signal to your body first thing that it's going to be fed, and start the circadian rhythm off with this signal. It needs to happen soon after waking, and if you don't put an end point on it, people will put it off forever. Dr. K's endpoint is 30m. People are gonna whine and push it and say it's not enough, but as long as you are reasonably close with very few exceptions, it'll do the trick.

I did a sugar addiction program where the end point was 1hr, and people whined and pushed it and said that wasn't enough, either, so you just gotta pick an endpoint and go with it. Do it every day, with exceptions truly rare. It's totally worth it if your body needs it.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    That's what I figured. I've read of people agonizing over the details, struggling to eat so much protein in the morning and stuff, so in that way I am on your side to just go with the circadian stuff and adhere to the spirit if not the letter.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Don't get me wrong - it's important to get it early, and to make it big, and to work up to big if you can't do it from the beginning. BUt agonizing over anything defeats the point, raising cortisol and undoing all you're trying to do!

The 50+gm first off in the morning literally changed my life. More than any other aspect of the reset. But I never stressed over it, and almost never hit 30m. I did what I could, make changes so I could do better, then did better. Rinse & repeat.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    I did an LR, but did not go strictly with Dr. K. I went online and googled it, took what looked like the 5 most common "rules" across the "experts" and used those. I did not have huge issues, and did it for a little less than 4 weeks. Not sure if it did much, but I know that I still do better with a high protein breakfast.

I do count calories, and macronutrients, doing straight primal created a weight gain. I eat at least 9 different fruits and veggies a day, and 45% of my calories as protein, and I am losing relatively easily. For me binging is created when I have a deficit of a nutrient, and in the process of trying to get it, the body wants to eat. With the protein and different veggies that I eat now, it appears as though I do not have any deficits currently, ie. no binging going on.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yeah, I tend to eat breakfast around 9am and dinner around 5pm and I'm not missing not having lunch in between at all. Technically you could say that I am doing a daily 8/16 IF or you could just say that I eat only two meals and don't snack. Same dif. I think the cutting out the snacking is the reason a lot of people see such good results with IFing. I don't think there is anything magical about skipping breakfast. When I skip breakfast, I am more likely to overeat the rest of the day.
    My suspicion exactly. Just got to the part of the thread in which you say the Kruse stuff makes some sense. Though I am skeptical of some things, I figure you can't go wrong with no snacking, an evening eating cutoff time and a solid breakfast that can keep you grounded for the rest of the day.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    These are the "rules" I came up with...

RULE 1: Keep 3 hours before bedtime food free
    RULE 2: Eat 3 meals a day, no snacks
    RULE 3 : Eat to satisfaction, not stuffed
    RULE 4: Eat a high protein breakfast soon after arising-trying to get 50g protein within the 30 mins. after waking up
    RULE 5: Carbs between 25 and 50

I still pretty much use these, they are pretty reasonable and they seem to work for me.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

gempdx44 is offline Member
    I just read this entire thread on my lunch hour! Thank you so much for starting it Paleobird. I am one of those "older women" who has Paleo dialed in, but cannot seem to lose my 15 pounds of excess weight no matter how clean my diet was, I was still consuming too many calories.

Last week I did an experiment and still ate 100% Primal, but kept my average to no more than 1400 calories a day. This morning, I was down a 1/2 pound! It's not much, but it's good to see the scale moving in the right direction - I have been building some nice muscle working with a great trainer, but unfortunately it's buried under fat in some places on my body. I'm going to stick with this calorie level for awhile and see what happens ...

Tuckerbutter is offline Junior Member
    Fantastic posts!! My biggest problem is I am still constantly hungry, especially in the afternoons. I get up about 4am(ish!) and have now started doing 2 a day exercises, via CF and CF endurance three times a week, where I have more time. I drink my protein in the AM as I have a problem eating real food first thing, makes me nauseous (has since I was a kid). It's usually about 30-40ish g of protein. Then I am hungry by 8AM. Lunch is usually meat and veggies and then there is several hours between lunch at 1100/1200 and dinner anywhere from 5-7pm for me. I drive in the AM and PM and there is no way to get around it for now. My weight has been stagnant at about 170lbs for nearly three years since the birth of my second and now my third (8 mos ago). I struggled/ing with weight loss, eating primal 80/20 and doing CF but not losing anything but definitely getting definition and strength gains. I know its the diet, I am having a problem working through the carb cravings. Any idea how to help with these? I can fast if I don't eat Breakfast, but I know its important, and I know its important to eat right after exercise. I don't eat when I need to and even when that isn't a factor I'm starving 2-4 hrs after a good meal and make poor choices. I know calories in/out is as important for women as well as macronutrient ratios. I just can't figure out what my body wants/needs nutrient wise to stay satiated within my designated caloric needs, especially when workouts get more intense. I don't know how to address this that doesn't add more calories and defeat my weight loss goals.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Being hungry 2-4 hrs after a meal indicates the typical glucose crash. You are not adapted to burning fat. You need to train your body to using fat rather than glucose as your primary fuel. Sounds like you're getting enough protein. What about fat?
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast