Page 43 of 54 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: Calorie Counting Revisited : Distillation and Update page 43

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I agree, too.

At first the liberal fat helps you get used to the food, turns off that stuck-on hungry switch. You can lose a lot of weight on the basic plan. It might take a month to see it start. It did for me. But as you get smaller your body needs less energy to move around. If you are still giving it enough fat to feed on from the diet, your body won't use its own stores. So you cut back a little. Why not cut back right away? Because you have to adapt your body to using fat for energy. When you eat 6 or more times a day with low fat food, your body doesn't know how to use fat. If your food has been high fat with sugar/carbs it still doesn't know. That's why you snack. You have to keep filling up the glycogen from dietary sugars for energy. Once you've been on this diet with plenty of fat and relatively fewer carbs you will naturally eat 1 - 3 times a day and whenever your body needs energy, it'll get it from your body fat.

I'm at that stage where I'm within the normal range and got stuck there for a while. So I have moved to intermittent fasting most days (over breakfast) and finally getting around to strength training. It worked! The scale is totally moving again and I don't mind skipping breakfast. I'm eating it today though. Dinner was too meager yesterday.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 215 x 3

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    +1

I lost 65 pounds eating as much fat as my body needed. Now having been Primal 16 months, I am looking at raising protein intake and watching overall calories. Follow the book. Do Not follow this thread, do not do the Leptin Reset, do not IF or anything else until you have been Primal for a while. (Several months)

Good Luck!
    Big time! IGNORE all the the "noise" and just do what's in the book. All this other stuff is for people for whom, for various and sundry reasons, the standard plan doesn't give them optimal results. Frankly the PB as written in the book works amazingly well for me. I have not found a need to "Carb cycle" "obsessively count" "leptin reset" (??) or whatever comes down the pike next week. It's not hard. Eat a piece of good meat, some healthy veggies, drink water. Don't snack, don't eat anything that tastes sweeter than an apple. Sleep well, play, lift heavy crap a couple times a week.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Carb Cycle! That's the one I forgot...Thanks, tfarny

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    There's no way I could force myself to track calories every day.

I never weigh anything while cooking - I judge everything by eye.

I reckon there must be at least +/- 10% variation in calorie content of most natural foods anyway, perhaps up to 30% for fruit and vegetables where sweetness levels vary.

Also, as I live on my own and eat so much fresh food, sometimes I eat more than I need to in order to avoid food going to waste. Perhaps I could plan better, but I prefer to be spontaneous when shopping and cooking, and although I buy set staples weekly, I don't base my shopping on an exact list of meals I plan to cook. This would only lead to extra work and decision-making when certain ingredients are out of stock.

In addition, I don't see any point in tracking calories in unless I also track estimate calories out, due to the variation in 'activity' I do each week, down to differences in the weather, social commitments, mood, etc.

I keep an awareness of ballpark figures for average calories in, calories out overall, however, I'm sure there's huge variation in my calorie deficit/surplus at the daily and even weekly levels.

Life's too short. I'd rather spend the time reading a novel or doing something else that I find life-enhancing.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Agreed. Follow the book. See if that works for you. If you start having issues, THEN go looking for posts like this.

If you've been eating low fat for a long time, it can take a while to untrain your brain. Do that first, and then if you need to adjust because you've stopped losing weight, come visit this post.

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    I agree with this.

I bought pemmican bars from US Wellness Meats. I switched to a very low carb way of eating for about a month. During this month I upped my fat intake by consuming 1 pemmican bar daily for either breakfast or lunch.
    By the end of the month I had gained weight even though I lowered my carbs drastically.

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to start concentrating on a 1500 caloric limit to make sure my fat consumption isn't too high. But has anyone here taken the leptin reset thing seriously? It's still sitting there in the back of my mind as something I should perhaps try, but it seems too crazy because of the gigantic breakfast/no exercising thing.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex26 View Post
    I'm going to start concentrating on a 1500 caloric limit to make sure my fat consumption isn't too high. But has anyone here taken the leptin reset thing seriously? It's still sitting there in the back of my mind as something I should perhaps try, but it seems too crazy because of the gigantic breakfast/no exercising thing.
    I am doing the Leptin Reset currently to try and deal with my binge problem. The problem with LR is the cult of Dr. K. Once I got out of the Leptin threads here and read the Leptin stuff firsthand on his blog and elsewhere, It makes sense. It is working so far, but my calories went up a bit from 1500-1700 because higher fat is recommended during LR especially for bingers.

My breakfast is half real food and half whey protein. Total 75g again for the binge issue. I still exercise at my gym, but less intensely. Less cardio, lighter weights, higher reps.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    The LR stopped my bingeing. It took several tries, and several months longer than those without sugar addiction issues (or other serious problems), but it did it. From the beginning, even before the bingeing stopped, the decrease in cravings was so huge that it stopped my weight gain and put it on pause. Once the bingeing stopped, I started losing.

All this despite an enormous breakfast. Paleobird had a good experience with it, too, as I recall, although her time with it was short, for lack of serious issues, again, as my fuzzy memory recalls.

The huge breakfast got even huger at one point, when I tried to increase it for experiment's sake, and yes, that was the nail in the coffin for the binges. After a month of 65g breakfasts, I lost all desire for lunch. Now I have no effort IFs every day from bkfst to dinner and dinner to bkfst. No desire for food at all in between, no longing, no missing it, nothing. It's been this way for ffour months, and my need for a giant bkfst is finally decreasing, too. I'm down to 50-55g each morning, and still having no desire for lunch at all.

This isn't rare for those doing the reset.

So long story short, the bkfst has led to me eating fewer calories all around, with no counting and no wishing for more.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    That's awesome it's working so well for you. I think I'm going to try calorie/fat restriction a bit though before I do a leptin reset because I don't really have any bingeing issues right now. That stopped when I took fruit and dairy out (the last of the sugar sources). At this point all I want is to break this frickin plateau! Oy - I'm crossing my fingers that not overdoing the fat thing (not eating more fat than protein) and a 1500 limit will help.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Page 43 of 54 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast