Page 41 of 54 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Calorie Counting Revisited : Distillation and Update page 41

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Yeah, what I'm doing feels natural, too. If I eat a real meal for lunch I often am not hungry for dinner. If I eat a decent breakfast and dinner I don't seem to be hungry for lunch. If my breakfast and/or dinners start to get a little skimpy, I do seem to get hungry for lunch, in which case I will eat it, even if it's something small like a couple of hard boiled eggs, or something large like some meat and avocados.

In my mind, the word 'snacking', being a verb and all, is really just a synonym for 'recreational eating.'
    Well said, and a lot of it has nothing to do with hunger. It's more about habit.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    Speaking of CW~ I was the kid that felt sick all morning long when I ate breakfast~ as soon as I was old enough to make my own, I didn't. It certainly was not the most important meal for me! And for years as a teen and on into my 30's, I usually skipped lunch too~ partly habit, partly not hungry~ I ate what I wanted for dinner, never had a weight problem except right after my second child was born, took me about 5 months to lose my 'baby weight'. But then, I was getting older~ started picking up a pound or two each year~ kept hearing how I needed to eat breakfast, how I needed to cut the fat, eat whole grains~ all that CW crap

So now, I'm fighting middle age pounds, menopause pounds, and a seriously bad attitude If I had just listened to my own body, well, I might be a few pounds up, but not anywhere near where I am~

Anyway, back to the point! Seems all those years, I was doing IF as in Fast-5~ And I am trying to go back to it, but now I have all these bad (for me) habits! Ugh~ I wanted my life to get easier as I got older~ now, I'm living *too soon old, too late smart*
    I think the original CW about breakfast being important was invented back when breakfast meant eggs and bacon as opposed to bran cereal and non-fat milk. I always hated being forced to eat breakfast as a kid too. (My "health conscious " parents were doing the best they knew at the time). Now that breakfast is so yummy, I have changed my mind.

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by weird fish View Post
    Paleobird, I saw your before/after today - my jaw just dropped, you look fantastic! I am looking forward to reaching the point where I can eat to change my body composition in a more focused way. Not for at least several months though - I need to regulate my cycle and take care of the problems with my appetite and digestion. From what I've gathered, calorie restriction seems to be a guaranteed disaster for mentally and metabolically wrecked people and an effective weight loss tool when used correctly by relatively healthy people. Ahh, hopefully I'll get there.
    You can make steps towards fixing your metabolism using calorie counting too - use it to make sure you are eating enough to maintain or increase your current weight!

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I think the original CW about breakfast being important was invented back when breakfast meant eggs and bacon as opposed to bran cereal and non-fat milk. I always hated being forced to eat breakfast as a kid too. (My "health conscious " parents were doing the best they knew at the time). Now that breakfast is so yummy, I have changed my mind.
    Something I've noticed though~ maybe it's my age, or it was always like this and I didn't know~ but when I eat breakfast in the morning, I'm tired and 'hungry' for hours afterward~ Doesn't even matter what I eat~ I've tried pure protein, high fat~ carbs are a nightmare~ I just want to sit down and take a nap~ Maybe I'm more 'caveman' than I think? You know, first hunt, then eat? All I know, if I want to get anything done, I need to do it on an empty stomach~

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    CW is definitely how I got here. Trying to starve myself thin since I was in 8th grade. Now I realize that what I eat for those calories is as important to my success as how many I eat.

What I am doing right now, feels right. I do 3 about equal sized meals and no snacks most of the time. I have not been able to keep up with an exercise program yet, but really want to start as I know that while it has very little to do with my losing weight it does make me feel so much better.

Deep down I know that if I listen to my body it will maintain a healthy weight, but I am not there yet. I believe that this process of tracking and paying attention to how things affect me will get me there. Hopefully in time for maintenance, which is a very long way off.
    I know Mark says it's 80% diet and only 20% exercise but I really think that doing *some* exercise is critical to getting the whole process spiraling in a positive direction. You don't have to hit the gym and pump iron. Just make a pact with yourself to do something physically active every day. Just get out for a walk or put on your favorite tunes, close the curtains, and dance like nobody is watching. Just getting your blood circulating. Then start tossing in some of the LHT moves.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NDF View Post
    You can make steps towards fixing your metabolism using calorie counting too - use it to make sure you are eating enough to maintain or increase your current weight!
    Very true. Just getting some baseline data is helpful. You can't know what to "fix" if you don't know where you stand.

Paleobird Guest
    Something I've noticed though~ maybe it's my age, or it was always like this and I didn't know~ but when I eat breakfast in the morning, I'm tired and 'hungry' for hours afterward~ Doesn't even matter what I eat~ I've tried pure protein, high fat~ carbs are a nightmare~ I just want to sit down and take a nap~ Maybe I'm more 'caveman' than I think? You know, first hunt, then eat? All I know, if I want to get anything done, I need to do it on an empty stomach~
    I feel tired and sluggish if I don't eat breakfast. I do agree that a workout (the modern day hunting trip) feels best on an empty stomach. I usually work out in the afternoon then have dinner (the kill).

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    This week will be easy as far as exercise goes...I have to plant the shrubs and ground cover in my newly terraced back yard. Lots of lifting, sawing (I am cutting the bottom off of pots to make "arrangements" but want to allow the roots to grow down into the soil), digging, walking. I also need to mow the lawn and get the leaves picked up as soon as we get a dry day.

From personal experience I know that working out is not enough to insure I will lose weight. In fact in my workout period when I did water aerobics 6 days a week (she alternated cardio and strength every other day) I gained weight, no not muscle, consistently for 6 years, about 15 to 20 a year. Slow and insidious. So I am not in a huge hurry to start again. I do need to increase my steps, and I have started to do a round of sun salutations in the morning to stay limber, and DS and I will be starting Mark's essential movements once a week as part of a project he has to do for school so that will ensure we do it for 18 months, by then it should be habit, right?
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day

Paleobird Guest
    The LHT essential movements are about the best whole body workout that I have ever found that is also so simple. Those planks really work. Having had several abdominal surgeries, I had kind of given up on two piece bathing suits but now I actually have abs.

Another thing I am re-discovering is my balance ball, long neglected in the garage. Now I have switched out my comfy computer/tv chair for the ball and bounce on it while doing things on the net or watching internet tv. While hulu has a commercial or two, I just pound out a set of ab crunches for fun. I also sometimes bounce on my mini trampoline while watching tv.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    For me, skipping breakfast just makes me think about food all day. If I get a good breakfast in me, then I can ignore things that otherwise might be temptations. Some people just can't stomach breakfast.
    For me it is the opposite. If I eat breakfast, then I'm "thinking" about food for the rest of the day. I eat the same sized (or more) at lunch and supper. So, for me, eating breakfast just adds calories to my day.

Something I've noticed though~ maybe it's my age, or it was always like this and I didn't know~ but when I eat breakfast in the morning, I'm tired and 'hungry' for hours afterward~ Doesn't even matter what I eat~ I've tried pure protein, high fat~ carbs are a nightmare
    I agree, if I eat breakfast, I think about food all day. But I don't get tired...

I just pound out a set of ab crunches for fun.
    I'm SO not there yet...
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Page 41 of 54 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast