Page 40 of 54 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: Calorie Counting Revisited : Distillation and Update page 40

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I second the PMA!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I found this thread yesterday morning somewhere way back in the archives and read the whole thing. I thought about bumping it. I guess I didn't need to! I think it's totally necessary for us older women to post what works for us because the men simply have no answers for us.

Another good read is to find Mary Titus' comments around the web on intermittent fasting. I find IF to be a slightly easier way to calorie count because I can go longer without eating more easily than I can restrain myself when there's something good on my plate. Plus I think that IF does something to me on an endocrine level that is healing. Might not work for everyone but so far it's a tool I'm enjoying at a minimal level (like once a week unless you count not eating lunch each day as IF, which I don't.)
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    I am not at a point yet where IF doesn't feel like I am on a diet. And the second I feel like I am on a diet I set off a mental trigger that makes me want to binge. So far the way I am working the calories is keeping me full and I think that I am not starving at a cellular level so I am not scavenging for food.

I could not image eating what some of these guys eat for a meal in an entire day!
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by weird fish View Post
    Paleobird, I saw your before/after today - my jaw just dropped, you look fantastic! I am looking forward to reaching the point where I can eat to change my body composition in a more focused way. Not for at least several months though - I need to regulate my cycle and take care of the problems with my appetite and digestion. From what I've gathered, calorie restriction seems to be a guaranteed disaster for mentally and metabolically wrecked people and an effective weight loss tool when used correctly by relatively healthy people. Ahh, hopefully I'll get there.
    True, but the catch 22 about many metabolic issues is that getting your weight down improves your metabolism but it's hard to get your weight down because of your metabolism. While you might not be mentally or metabolically "ready" to really buckle down tight on the calories, there is no reason why you can't do a little sensible portion control in the meantime.

While far from being a Dr. Kruse groupie, I do think he has a sensible eating plan that is a good place to start for many people looking to break out of the catch 22. Have you tried it?

Paleobird Guest
    re Demuralist and sbhikes' comments on IF. This is a case of , "Know thyself". I have never had the mental binging tendencies like have been described around here but I do have a tendency to take a good thing like what's for dinner, to far like eating seconds just because it tastes good when I'm not really hungry.

I find that two meals a day is working well for me, breakfast and dinner, about 9am and 5pm. So that is technically a 16/8 IF every day but I don't think of it that way. I just think of it as meals only and no snacking. I think the rigid scheduling aspect of some IF protocols can really make them feel confining. What I'm doing just feels natural. I don't have an appetite for three meals.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, what I'm doing feels natural, too. If I eat a real meal for lunch I often am not hungry for dinner. If I eat a decent breakfast and dinner I don't seem to be hungry for lunch. If my breakfast and/or dinners start to get a little skimpy, I do seem to get hungry for lunch, in which case I will eat it, even if it's something small like a couple of hard boiled eggs, or something large like some meat and avocados.

In my mind, the word 'snacking', being a verb and all, is really just a synonym for 'recreational eating.'
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    I'm so glad this thread was revitalised - I'd planned to go looking for it this morning! After 9 months of paleo, I finally have a pretty good handle on my IBS issues. One of the last pieces of the puzzle has been about meal composition and quantity - well, I'm still working on that I guess, trying to find a balance between eating the type and quantity of food that supports energy levels (including my first ever exercise programme ), with small enough quantities at the right time of day, so my gut can handle it. I've enjoyed some success with IF, but coming off it is a challenge. I have a feeling I'm going to be a person who needs 3 smaller meals a day, with an IF day once a week with a careful reintroduction of food.

I had to laugh last night - I watched a Graham Norton episode where he was interviewing Joanna Lumley. He asked how she kept her 'svelte' figure. Joanna replied that she probably ate less than most people. When he raised an eyebrow at her, she explained that she doesn't like to eat breakfast and 'never eats lunch'. The rest of the guests were in an uproar, but here is this fantastic older woman just blowing CW right out the window .
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Speaking of CW~ I was the kid that felt sick all morning long when I ate breakfast~ as soon as I was old enough to make my own, I didn't. It certainly was not the most important meal for me! And for years as a teen and on into my 30's, I usually skipped lunch too~ partly habit, partly not hungry~ I ate what I wanted for dinner, never had a weight problem except right after my second child was born, took me about 5 months to lose my 'baby weight'. But then, I was getting older~ started picking up a pound or two each year~ kept hearing how I needed to eat breakfast, how I needed to cut the fat, eat whole grains~ all that CW crap

So now, I'm fighting middle age pounds, menopause pounds, and a seriously bad attitude If I had just listened to my own body, well, I might be a few pounds up, but not anywhere near where I am~

Anyway, back to the point! Seems all those years, I was doing IF as in Fast-5~ And I am trying to go back to it, but now I have all these bad (for me) habits! Ugh~ I wanted my life to get easier as I got older~ now, I'm living *too soon old, too late smart*

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    I'm so glad this thread was revitalised - I'd planned to go looking for it this morning! After 9 months of paleo, I finally have a pretty good handle on my IBS issues. One of the last pieces of the puzzle has been about meal composition and quantity - well, I'm still working on that I guess, trying to find a balance between eating the type and quantity of food that supports energy levels (including my first ever exercise programme ), with small enough quantities at the right time of day, so my gut can handle it. I've enjoyed some success with IF, but coming off it is a challenge. I have a feeling I'm going to be a person who needs 3 smaller meals a day, with an IF day once a week with a careful reintroduction of food.

I had to laugh last night - I watched a Graham Norton episode where he was interviewing Joanna Lumley. He asked how she kept her 'svelte' figure. Joanna replied that she probably ate less than most people. When he raised an eyebrow at her, she explained that she doesn't like to eat breakfast and 'never eats lunch'. The rest of the guests were in an uproar, but here is this fantastic older woman just blowing CW right out the window .
    Hi Jac. I'm so glad the IBS is in retreat before the forces of Primal living.
    For me, skipping breakfast just makes me think about food all day. If I get a good breakfast in me, then I can ignore things that otherwise might be temptations. Some people just can't stomach breakfast. This is where I think Dr. K gets it wrong in assuming that his plan is one size fits all. It worked well for me but it was what I did naturally anyway. The only change was getting serious about the no evening snackage rule.

With your gut issues, I would think that you are right about three smaller meals being better than two larger ones.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    CW is definitely how I got here. Trying to starve myself thin since I was in 8th grade. Now I realize that what I eat for those calories is as important to my success as how many I eat.

What I am doing right now, feels right. I do 3 about equal sized meals and no snacks most of the time. I have not been able to keep up with an exercise program yet, but really want to start as I know that while it has very little to do with my losing weight it does make me feel so much better.

Deep down I know that if I listen to my body it will maintain a healthy weight, but I am not there yet. I believe that this process of tracking and paying attention to how things affect me will get me there. Hopefully in time for maintenance, which is a very long way off.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

Page 40 of 54 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast