Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Calorie Counting Revisited : Distillation and Update page 4

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    Yes, this. Absolutely.

I can EASILY eat a pound of meat and not realize it. I use a food scale and measuring cups. It might seem neurotic to some, but I need that to know what's enough.
    Not neurotic at all, just sensible.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I know I haven't been getting enough protein ... and just before I read your thread I ate half a bag of pork rinds!
    I've got probably 25 lbs to go to get to my HSIS weight, and I've been stuck for a couple of weeks, so your post is really timely.

Thanks for the reality check
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    I know I haven't been getting enough protein ... and just before I read your thread I ate half a bag of pork rinds!
    I've got probably 25 lbs to go to get to my HSIS weight, and I've been stuck for a couple of weeks, so your post is really timely.
    Thanks for the reality check
    You're welcome. I love me some pork rinds. The problem is they don't give you much protein bang for the fat buck.

Kelda is offline Senior Member
    Great round up Paleo for what was an epic original thread!

An update on me which has highlighted a couple of aspects of the importance of the whole picture.

3 weeks of counting and keeping around 10-30-60 carb-protein-fat at about 1700 calories and I lost 5-6 lbs. I was doing 5 - 8 hours of activity each week including 1 heavy weights, 1 body weight, 1 sprint-style session plus moving about slowing for the balance.

The following month (coincided with no tracking) has been hugely stressful and my sleep has gone to pot and my training dropped too. The result gaining back much of the loss but still eating the same ratios (just about - but more overall) the messages for me ...

Cortisol (the stress hormone) is the killer, it really disrupts the appetite and promotes fat storage - focus on reducing it where possible.
    Sleep is mega important, disrupt that and the cortisol is up and the grazing kicks in.
    Moving about - it does make a difference.

I liked the discipline of the tracking (but I like numbers) I felt more in control but now I really need to dial it into my head what are good portions, what are good food combinations so that when under pressure it is still my default setting! I love to eat, I love food and can easily hugely overeat all the good stuff and having such an uber-effcient engine the excess fuel just gets stored!
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    That's why it's so good that there are so many methods. I used an internal gage, rather than a measurement -- it's worked well for me. But, I am hyper conscious of it. People do think I'm a bit bats.

j_wren is offline Junior Member
    This is me. I've been PB now for nearly 3 months and while I feel great and have lost a little, I haven't lost much. I've only got about 10 'vanity' pounds left so it's pretty hard, but I think you may be on to something. I was wondering if you tell me what a typical day's menu looks like for you. I'm trying to play around with fitday and sparkpeople to find a good 1400-1500 calorie day with the macros you mentioned and I'm just wondering how you do it. I'm thinking lots of boiled eggs and lean meat? Any other advice?

grokina is offline Member
    I appreciate this discussion. I feel great on the PB, but, if anything, I've gained fat. And, TMI, but my PMS has gotten so much worse. Lately I've been looking into dairy in depth, and given all the growth factors and hormones present, even in organic/raw, I've chosen to eliminate it on a trial basis. Reading this thread and some other sources (berkhan, mcdonald, etc.) prompted me to re-evaluate my fat intake in relation to protein. This week, I've upped protein significantly and cut fat, and already my clothes fit better and I can see changes. I plan to continue this, in addition to IF. Feeling pretty hopeful!

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Very succinct Robin.

Here is a way of calculating your HSIS weight, based on BMI. I'll use a 5'7" woman as an example

1. Start with your ideal BMI. 22.5 is the normal midpoint
    2. Multiply by the square of your height in metres to get HSIS weight in kg. Eg 5'7" is 1.7m (multiply height in inches by 0.0254) so that gives 22.5*1.7*1.7=65 kg
    3. Multiply by 2.2 to convert to pounds - 65*2.2=143lb
    4. At HSIS weight, a woman will have approx 20% body fat and a man approx 13%. Call this number x. Lean body mass is then (1-x/100)*HSIS. So our hot woman will have (1-.2)*143=114lb LBM
    5. Target protein should then be this number in g, ie 114g of protein per day

Like Paleo, I got to where I increased fat and lo & behold I stopped losing. I lowered fat intake recently and am noticing that I do seem to be losing fat now. This is my question(I suck at math so forgive me). I got through to step 3 in the HSIS calculations but can't seem to figure out what to do from there. I'm 5'5 and multiplied by .0254 and got 1.651. Multiplied 22.5x1.7x1.7=65.025 kg. 65.025x2.2=143lb. I can't figure out the rest. I am totally lost.
    Georgette

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelda View Post
    Great round up Paleo for what was an epic original thread!

An update on me which has highlighted a couple of aspects of the importance of the whole picture.

3 weeks of counting and keeping around 10-30-60 carb-protein-fat at about 1700 calories and I lost 5-6 lbs. I was doing 5 - 8 hours of activity each week including 1 heavy weights, 1 body weight, 1 sprint-style session plus moving about slowing for the balance.

The following month (coincided with no tracking) has been hugely stressful and my sleep has gone to pot and my training dropped too. The result gaining back much of the loss but still eating the same ratios (just about - but more overall) the messages for me ...

Cortisol (the stress hormone) is the killer, it really disrupts the appetite and promotes fat storage - focus on reducing it where possible.
    Sleep is mega important, disrupt that and the cortisol is up and the grazing kicks in.
    Moving about - it does make a difference.

I liked the discipline of the tracking (but I like numbers) I felt more in control but now I really need to dial it into my head what are good portions, what are good food combinations so that when under pressure it is still my default setting! I love to eat, I love food and can easily hugely overeat all the good stuff and having such an uber-effcient engine the excess fuel just gets stored!
    Hi Kelda, Great to hear from you.
    I think a 30/60 protein /fat split is still too far in the direction of fat and doesn't give you enough protein. Mine keeps coming up about even. about 45% each with the 10%carbs.

That said, you are so right about the cortisol factor. While nobody can wave a magic wand and make your stressors go away, you are the one in charge of how you deal with them. Perhaps people could include a yoga or tai chi class in their workout schedule if they feel that this is the case for them. Or get a massage (preferably from a friend). But I find just about any exercise to be a good stress buster particularly if it gets me out in nature, out of the house.

I hope you find your ideal balance. Keep me informed on your progress.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    That's why it's so good that there are so many methods. I used an internal gage, rather than a measurement -- it's worked well for me. But, I am hyper conscious of it. People do think I'm a bit bats.
    Yes, you are a bit bats, but we love you anyway.

Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast