Page 37 of 54 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Calorie Counting Revisited : Distillation and Update page 37

Paleobird Guest
    It seems that this thread had a bit of a revival while I was on vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    I am not sure that Mark advocates 'fatty meat" in his book, I don't remember seeing it there, truth is that the whole "add more fat" chorus seems to come from people who have not read the book.
    Now that I have read his book, I can see his philosophy falls more in line with the things on this thread than other things that I have read on the forum.

How to Eat According to the Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple
    Yep. NMG, I'm so glad that you are taking the wisdom from several places and making it work. And Demuralist, I hope you are able to get off that CPAP monster soon and get some good quality sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Nuts *are* a fine thing if your 6:3 ratio isn't already way off.
    It's a temporary restoration thing, not a lifelong ban.
    Exactly. People don't get this and this becomes another addition to the "In Fear of Food" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Grok View Post
    BTW I am late to this thread. Excellent post Paleobird.

I admit that I'm having a hard time losing that last 10lbs of fat. I've been working on becoming more and more strict with my exercising (still not sprinting as often as I should but working on being more consistent) and not getting the fat off. I have recently been trying calorie restriction since a recent success story Mark posted about a woman who got the last few pounds off through calorie restriction. I'm also doing 24 hour fasts every Sunday now as well.
    You're welcome. Look at us being all civil to each other and everything, Sprinting really does work in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    Thanks Paleobird for starting this post! Its been soo very helpful!!!
    Glad it could help.

I would say that currently my calorie restriction is not forced. Eating the 3 meals a day and stopping at satisfaction is keeping them down naturally. I don't know how much I am losing right now as I only weigh in monthly, and well, while I have a whole lot more extra fat than most, the number on the scale is not nearly as important as my size.
    Now that I have gotten to a healthy weight, I also am able to do the stopping at satisfaction thing. The irony is that to get here, I needed a bit of imposed structure.

It is fantastic that you found what works for you! I went through a depression years ago (mine was from a chemical imbalance caused by a lack of deep REM sleep) and i know how fantastic it feels to come out of it.
    Yes. All natural cures work best for some and pills for others or some combo of both. What matters is that you are feeling better.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
    One thing I never quite understood was the "paleo lean meat vs primal fatty meat" split. Some meats are fatty, some are lean, some are seasonal.... sure fat may have been prized but that would be because of rarity, right? So never really got the drowning in lard theories. And it didn't work for me.
    And I've kept the Diet Chef plastic trays to remind me of portion sizing!

May have to look at this leptin reset though..
    Well done. If we could just call it "portion control" instead of "calorie counting" I think there would be a lot less vehement objection to the idea.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 10-17-2011 at 11:39 AM.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Just read the book S.P.E.E.D. essentially advocating Primal/paleo eating with 'portion control" Have been doing it this week. Very helpful, just enough structure, just enough flexibility. Lost 2.6 pounds. On vaca visiting family in Florida, but I usually do well when with them as they are very supportive and have both lost quite a bit of weight themselves. (WW but with a simple clean meal approach).

So I look forward to using what I learned in the book combined with this thread and finally losing the weight.

I did get rid of the CPAP monster!!!! Yeah, getting my 8 hours quality a night, such a huge difference. Now if I could just get this TTOM/iron thing worked out life would be great!

p.s. S=Sleep, P=Psychology, E=Environment, E=Exercise, D=Diet. They use real science to back up what they say and really what they say is pretty much what Mark advocates. Great book if you can't figure out why you aren't losing weight doing 'just' primal.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Paleobird Guest
    Just read the book S.P.E.E.D. essentially advocating Primal/paleo eating with 'portion control" Have been doing it this week. Very helpful, just enough structure, just enough flexibility. Lost 2.6 pounds. On vaca visiting family in Florida, but I usually do well when with them as they are very supportive and have both lost quite a bit of weight themselves. (WW but with a simple clean meal approach).

So I look forward to using what I learned in the book combined with this thread and finally losing the weight.

I did get rid of the CPAP monster!!!! Yeah, getting my 8 hours quality a night, such a huge difference. Now if I could just get this TTOM/iron thing worked out life would be great!

p.s. S=Sleep, P=Psychology, E=Environment, E=Exercise, D=Diet. They use real science to back up what they say and really what they say is pretty much what Mark advocates. Great book if you can't figure out why you aren't losing weight doing 'just' primal.
    That book sounds very interesting. Who is the author? I'm glad that they place such an emphasis on Sleep. So many people I think are "doing everything right" but are chronically sleep deprived and can't understand why their dieting is not paying off.

My bro in law has one of those CPAP machines. It looks and sounds like some sci-fi monster sucking the life out of another human test subject. Congrats on not needing yours anymore.

Malka4re is offline Junior Member
    in the same place.

Aloe is offline Member
    I've been reading the forums (and other sources) for Paleo life info for about 3 weeks. My bf and I (both on Paleo) had come to the same conclusion, so it's good to have our thoughts confirmed by someone with lots more experience

We're still not fully paleo, but getting close by the day. We average 1600 cals with 57% / 13% / 28% according to Fitday.

Thanks for the post!
    Height: 5ft 9"
    Current pants size: 20 (Canada sizing).
    Goal: I'll let you know when I've reached it.

“The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind
    is a faithful servant. We have created a society that
    honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.”
    ~Albert Einstein~

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aloe View Post
    I've been reading the forums (and other sources) for Paleo life info for about 3 weeks. My bf and I (both on Paleo) had come to the same conclusion, so it's good to have our thoughts confirmed by someone with lots more experience

We're still not fully paleo, but getting close by the day. We average 1600 cals with 57% / 13% / 28% according to Fitday.

Thanks for the post!
    Welcome, Aloe. And thank you.

I found if I focused on getting enough protein then all the other puzzle pieces fell into place. Pick a target for grams/day then work your other eats in around that.

Keep me posted on your progress.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Just thought I would compliment Paleobird once again. Each time I see the Before and After Pics pop up with new pictures on the forum, I have to go back and look at the pictures you posted. Awesome!

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    S.P.E.E.D. - Evidence Based Weight Loss I think these guys are really well educated (in the sense that they back up their 'beliefs' with science/research)

I agree about concentrating on getting my protein and letting everything else fall into place. I am also mostly now, choosing leaner protein sources.

I cannot tell you how many times my hubby got into bed saying "Luke I am your father", very sexy. Thrilled to be done with it!
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Aloe is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Welcome, Aloe. And thank you.

I found if I focused on getting enough protein then all the other puzzle pieces fell into place. Pick a target for grams/day then work your other eats in around that.

Keep me posted on your progress.
    Thanks for the welcome!

I've always thought protein was important, even before becoming Paleo. Ever since I was 12 and was taught the body repairs itself with protein, the importance of B12, and that it gives you a nice satisfied feeling, I knew I would never become a vegetarian Besides, nothing is better than a well BBQed steak!

So, the bf and I take care in having lots of protein, and as you said, the rest falls into place after that. Will keep you posted.
    Height: 5ft 9"
    Current pants size: 20 (Canada sizing).
    Goal: I'll let you know when I've reached it.

“The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind
    is a faithful servant. We have created a society that
    honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.”
    ~Albert Einstein~

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    Just thought I would compliment Paleobird once again. Each time I see the Before and After Pics pop up with new pictures on the forum, I have to go back and look at the pictures you posted. Awesome!
    *blush*

Thank you John.

Page 37 of 54 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast