Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Calorie Counting Revisited : Distillation and Update page 3

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    The problem for me about using being happy as a data point is that I am perfectly happy massively overeating. I love good food and I'm a really good cook. I need to exercise some self control because PB foods are what has always been my favorites anyway. Pre-PB I was kept in check by the CW about fat and red meat being evil. Once that is removed, it is really easy to go, "Whoopie!" and go overboard even on good heathy food.
    That pretty much sums me up too. Way to easy to overeat on the good fatty, salty stuff. Great to hear that your tweaking PB is still working in the right direction for you.

Paleobird Guest
    Thank you tfarny, mozzy10, Greensprout, and Dragonfly. The original thread had 20k plus hits on it. It's clear that I'm not the only person who has ever been in this situation.

I would hate for people to drift away from PB not seeing results and thinking, "Yep, just another fad diet". PB does work. You just have to put a little effort into it.

Camille is offline Member
    Awesome post. This is EXACTLY what I needed to read. I posted last week about not losing and having to start calorie counting. Your original post was referenced, and yeah, I was overwhelmed. I have no doubt in my mind that calorie counting is the way to go for me for now. I've done it for just a week and I feel much more in control, and things are moving down already. I can eat 1300-1500 calories easy and not feel like dying. I was eating too much because I thought I was supposed to. I read the book and everything but I got sucked into the "eat more bacon" propaganda.

Thanks again for the post! Totally bookmarking this.

- Camille

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Camille View Post
    Awesome post. This is EXACTLY what I needed to read. I posted last week about not losing and having to start calorie counting. Your original post was referenced, and yeah, I was overwhelmed. I have no doubt in my mind that calorie counting is the way to go for me for now. I've done it for just a week and I feel much more in control, and things are moving down already. I can eat 1300-1500 calories easy and not feel like dying. I was eating too much because I thought I was supposed to. I read the book and everything but I got sucked into the "eat more bacon" propaganda.

Thanks again for the post! Totally bookmarking this.
    - Camille
    Oh, Camille, I'm so glad it helped. The "eat more bacon" propaganda can be very loud in the echo chamber of the forum, but it was never what Mark had in mind. I was eating 2400 a day and being told that I was dieting myself into an eating disorder and that I should eat MORE and all my weight would magically disappear. Sorry folks, but reality doesn't work that way. Now I have set 1500 as my max but keep coming in between 1300-1400 without feeling hungry or deprived at all.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Oh, Camille, I'm so glad it helped. The "eat more bacon" propaganda can be very loud in the echo chamber of the forum, but it was never what Mark had in mind. I was eating 2400 a day and being told that I was dieting myself into an eating disorder and that I should eat MORE and all my weight would magically disappear. Sorry folks, but reality doesn't work that way. Now I have set 1500 as my max but keep coming in between 1300-1400 without feeling hungry or deprived at all.
    LOL - yeah, some of us have very healthy appetites!
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Well, I love food (and cooking) too -- discovered that while vegan -- but since I was working on the emotional eating side of things, too, the definition of happiness might have had a number of smaller data points! Satiety, feeling comfortable (physically and emotionally regarding food/whatever), and so on were part of that equation. I didn't want to feel deprived in any way, but I also realized that feeling "stuffed" wasn't great either, or not feeling good after eating a meal for whatever reason also wasn't within the definition of happiness.

So, i learned a lot.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    That pretty much sums me up too. Way to easy to overeat on the good fatty, salty stuff. Great to hear that your tweaking PB is still working in the right direction for you.
    Primalcon set me back a few pounds. Way too many macadamia nuts and coconut milk smoothies.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Well, I love food (and cooking) too -- discovered that while vegan -- but since I was working on the emotional eating side of things, too, the definition of happiness might have had a number of smaller data points! Satiety, feeling comfortable (physically and emotionally regarding food/whatever), and so on were part of that equation. I didn't want to feel deprived in any way, but I also realized that feeling "stuffed" wasn't great either, or not feeling good after eating a meal for whatever reason also wasn't within the definition of happiness.
    So, i learned a lot.
    If you have a tendency as I do to overdo it on the portion sizes, tracking like this can really be helpful to let you know visually what a sensible portion looks like. I don't always notice that I am getting stuffed while stuffing because I'm too busy stuffing.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    If you have a tendency as I do to overdo it on the portion sizes, tracking like this can really be helpful to let you know visually what a sensible portion looks like. I don't always notice that I am getting stuffed while stuffing because I'm too busy stuffing.
    Yes, this. Absolutely.

I can EASILY eat a pound of meat and not realize it. I use a food scale and measuring cups. It might seem neurotic to some, but I need that to know what's enough.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JKC View Post
    LOL - yeah, some of us have very healthy appetites!
    It's especially easy to hit astronomical calorie numbers when they food is very fatty like bacon. But then you end up hitting satiety without getting the protein you need.

Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast