Page 21 of 54 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Calorie Counting Revisited : Distillation and Update page 21

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    100% agree that increasing protein intake whilst watching calories is key to cutting down last few kilos. I used to count calories but found I was self-sabotaging and eating waaaayyy too much. So I'll take your advice and skip the bacon for now and choose leaner meats. thanks!
    I'm really enjoying kangaroo. I had to get it over the net and bloody expensive too but it's very tasty. Very dense lean protein. You should be able to find it easily there. Makes me want to move to Australia. (As if the gorgeous men weren't reason enough.)
    Last edited by Paleobird; 05-24-2011 at 08:41 PM.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    yeah, gorgeous australian men. kiwis apparently are good lovers. they travel the world and always bring home a girl or guy. it's amazing how many partners-of-kiwis I know. and one woman said to me "yes, good lovers." LOL

So, thre you go. meet a kiwi, come and move in near me.

no more dizzies here. upping protien helped.

Paleobird Guest
    Update at three months into this crazy program:

Waist has gone from 32" to 29"
    Hips have gone from 44" to 41"

Weight from 180 to 159 (and size 8 Levis fit)

Goal is 150. 21 down and 9 to go.

Yep, I just passed the two thirds of the way there mark.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 06-06-2011 at 12:16 PM.

Kelda is offline Senior Member
    That is amazing, congratulations :-)

I'm holding at 3 kg lighter than when I started the whole more-protein-bit-less-fat lark and since quitting dairy 5 weeks ago it's easier than ever.

You'll be at goal weight by that big mountain climb I would say!
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelda View Post
    That is amazing, congratulations :-)
    I'm holding at 3 kg lighter than when I started the whole more-protein-bit-less-fat lark and since quitting dairy 5 weeks ago it's easier than ever.
    You'll be at goal weight by that big mountain climb I would say!
    3kg, let see that is about 6.6 lbs. Not bad at all considering that you are pretty slim to begin with (and that you took a leave of absence from this "lark" for a bit due to family trials and tribulations) What do you think of as your goal?
    Also, I so agree with you about ditching the dairy. It makes everything easier. Maybe some people can handle it but I kind of have to throw in with the evolutionary argument here that just because you can tolerate something, doesn't make it the optimal fuel. (I do miss good cheese though, like a camembert or a brie).

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Hey Paleobird, so what calorie and macronutrient levels are working for you? I know we must all work this out individually, but I'm curious!

Do you find there's a lot of day-to-day variability in calorie level but that the average is what you shoot for? Or do you try to hit a steady level every day?
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Hey Paleobird, so what calorie and macronutrient levels are working for you? I know we must all work this out individually, but I'm curious!
    Do you find there's a lot of day-to-day variability in calorie level but that the average is what you shoot for? Or do you try to hit a steady level every day?
    I've had to adjust it a bit as the pounds have come off, re-calibrated BMR for a smaller sized person. When I first started I was getting about 1300-1400 a day. Now I find that I am fine with about 1000-1100. The ratios are still about the same, 45% each of fat and protein with 10%carbs (all from my veggies and daily bottle of kombucha).

Minxxa wrote something on another thread that really made sense to me. She said that giving up all alcohol had made a major difference for her. And she was saying that it is not just about the extra carbs or calories in a glass of wine, it is about how alcohol is processed in the liver thereby taking up the liver's time and attention from doing other important things like metabolizing your dinner so the dinner goes straight to the thighs. I'm finding that this is a good change for me too. I have no intention of giving up my Pinot Noir permanently, just until I reach my goal.

Calories vary a bit from day to day. I give myself a bit of extra fuel if I am planning a big hike that day. I seem to have settled into a two meal plan that really works well. If I try to make it just one big meal. there is a tendency to overdo it on quantity and have the beached whale stuffed feeling. Also I find my workouts are best if I have a solid breakfast, then go about my day without lunch, then workout around 4 or 5 pm and then have the well deserved dinner afterwards. Now I could say I am IFing with a 16 hour fast and an 8 hour "eating window" and that would sound really hip and cool. Or I could just say I only eat two meals and use some self control to abstain from snacking. Po-tay-to/po-tah-to. It all comes down to the same thing, less calories going in.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the summary!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Thanks for the summary!
    You're welcome. I hope your tummy healing is going well. I so empathize with the frustration of, "It was supposed to be all done and better by now but it's not".

Kelda is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Minxxa wrote something on another thread that really made sense to me. She said that giving up all alcohol had made a major difference for her. And she was saying that it is not just about the extra carbs or calories in a glass of wine, it is about how alcohol is processed in the liver thereby taking up the liver's time and attention from doing other important things like metabolizing your dinner so the dinner goes straight to the thighs.
    This is also true of fructose, it is a toxin and is given priority as far the liver is concerned for processing to 'harmless' triglycerides (hiking insulin to transport them to the fat cells in the process, and of course occupying the liver too).

I'm finding I can tolerate alcohol less and less, half a glass of a good red = fine, any more equals less than fine and grazing attacks - there is a strong correlation with sugar and alcohol dependency and links to dopamine pathways - my bipolar issues were dopamine focussed - it seems for some genotypes the disruption to endocrine systems caused by high levels of insulin and sugars and alcohols creates addictive/maladapative behaviours via the disrupted dopamine/serotonin systems.

Dairy - yes, I too love(d) a good camembert and brie but I really do seem better off without it, alas! Actually it's not 'alas' because I feel so mentally well it really isn't an issue to be honest.

I know now I'm highly sensitive to insulin hikes and of course the more insulin sensitive you become by eating Paleo the more a small hike seems to count! Dairy protein and IGF/insulin pathways do cause a hike, as it is 'designed' to do to get the baby growing! Dairy is one of those rather silent hikers I think, minimal carbs but it does have an effect.

As for a goal, well it was never really to lose as such, simply to readjust body composition as I'd gained fat pounds over the winter. I seem to have settled around 57.5 kg (just doing the math(s) for you ... 127 lbs) and this is actually easy to maintain, I'm never hungry and can do as much or as little exercise as I choose. Lifting heavy once a week (a session lasts up to 20 mins), riding my bike (very variable from once a week to 4-5) and swimming two 40 min sessions - easy stuff for fun, plus some yoga thrown in as well.

If you check out my Ornithology II post here you'll see the most recent pictures - I'm happy with where I'm at and now enjoying exploring some inner aspects and Taoism - I seem to have a new outlook, much more relaxed and chilled.
    Last edited by Kelda; 06-07-2011 at 03:15 AM.
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

Page 21 of 54 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast