Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Calorie Counting Revisited : Distillation and Update page 2

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Most excellent summary. You really captured the highlights from the original thread.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Very succinct Robin.

Here is a way of calculating your HSIS weight, based on BMI. I'll use a 5'7" woman as an example

1. Start with your ideal BMI. 22.5 is the normal midpoint
    2. Multiply by the square of your height in metres to get HSIS weight in kg. Eg 5'7" is 1.7m (multiply height in inches by 0.0254) so that gives 22.5*1.7*1.7=65 kg
    3. Multiply by 2.2 to convert to pounds - 65*2.2=143lb
    4. At HSIS weight, a woman will have approx 20% body fat and a man approx 13%. Call this number x. Lean body mass is then (1-x/100)*HSIS. So our hot woman will have (1-.2)*143=114lb LBM
    5. Target protein should then be this number in g, ie 114g of protein per day
    My HSIS weight is 150. At 20% BF that makes 120. So I set the target range for grams of protein on my Sparkpeople account to 120-150.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I think the elimination dieting part of paleo is the hardest. Jac is a perfect example. Just going through and seeing what inflames us takes a lot of focus and that is definitely data-point enough.

Of course, sensible portions are always a good idea.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by calluses View Post
    Thanks so much for posting this, Paleobird! This is a great help.

I have been so danged frustrated at my lack of weight loss and raising my fat intake wasn't working. But what you say makes sense.

Raising the protein should (hopefully) keep hunger at bay and may just be what I need to start dropping some weight.
    It is frustrating, isn't it? To feel like you are doing everything right but not seeing the results. The extra protein not only keeps hunger at bay, it also makes it much easier to work out at a higher intensity for longer durations. It's working for me. I hope it does for you too.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I think that another factor is simply your personality and self-awareness of that.
    I don't need a lot of data points. When I first lost a lot of weight (from several years of emotional eating and junk food), I just exercised and followed my intuition with eating. I used the question: do i feel good? am i happy and satisfied? And if the answer was "yes" -- then I was good to go. I lost a lot of weight in about 6 months -- and went from a size 14 to a size 4.
    I grant that I was a vegan and triathlete at the time, but I lost the weight and kept it off for many years, later going back to vegetarian, and now primal. I also changed how I exercised throughout that time, too, so it's not just a static situation. My life changed a lot in a decade, and so did my needs. But, I have learned how my body works -- what it likes for movement, sleep, food -- and how capable and adaptable it is. My only data point was whether or not I was happy. Which is the primary reason why I moved from vegan to vegetarian to primal anyway.
    I think that another person coming to primal (or any diet really) and needing to loose weight can do the same thing. Learn the principles, follow them, and have success without a lot of data points.
    It just depends upon the personality.
    But, what I think is fascinating is that when you actually look at the numbers -- and I went and recorded a few days worth of stuff just to see how it rolled out -- my diet is basically the same as yours. I eat about 1600 cals per day, across two meals (sometimes one; sometimes three) in a 35/15/45 or 30/20/50 split depending upon the given day.
    I discovered that most of the meat that we eat is lean: venison, flank steaks (they are less expensive), chicken, fish. We have bacon -- about 2-3 times per week, and I usually have 1-2 pieces. Eggs, of course, usually in butter. And lots of vegetables with olive oil or avocado (if we eat an avocado, we don't often have olive oil; if we are using olive oil, we won't use the avocado).
    It's fascinating, really.
    I love how people can have such different approaches and end up in the same place.
    (also, I'm really happy for your success! Congratulations!)
    Thanks. Yes, personalities do make a difference. I kind of find all the data gathering to be fun. It appeals to my inner geek.
    Your diet sounds like where I will end up for maintenance after I have finished losing what I want to.
    The problem for me about using being happy as a data point is that I am perfectly happy massively overeating. I love good food and I'm a really good cook. I need to exercise some self control because PB foods are what has always been my favorites anyway. Pre-PB I was kept in check by the CW about fat and red meat being evil. Once that is removed, it is really easy to go, "Whoopie!" and go overboard even on good heathy food.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    More protein also solved our light-headed-ness.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    More protein also solved our light-headed-ness.
    Well that's a good thing. Light headedness is a sure sign that something is out of order.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Thats awesome. Congratulations on your success. I was reviewing some of Mark's blogs on what to do if you get stalled and noted that he recommended counting calories as one thing that you could try if you were stalled. If it works for you, then keep at it! I have stalled for a couple of weeks and may well have to go that route as well, and if I do, so be it. I felt awful before and now I feel great and if I need to count to get to where I want to be weight-wise, who cares? I feel 10x better than I did before.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JKC View Post
    Thats awesome. Congratulations on your success. I was reviewing some of Mark's blogs on what to do if you get stalled and noted that he recommended counting calories as one thing that you could try if you were stalled. If it works for you, then keep at it! I have stalled for a couple of weeks and may well have to go that route as well, and if I do, so be it. I felt awful before and now I feel great and if I need to count to get to where I want to be weight-wise, who cares? I feel 10x better than I did before.
    Exactly, calorie counting is a means to an end. It doesn't have to go on forever. Just until you reach your goal. With 12 less pounds on me I can already feel a real difference in my knees when I hike. It's worth it.

Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast