Page 14 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Calorie Counting Revisited : Distillation and Update page 14

Paleobird Guest
    @ Dragonfly
    Thank you. I was evidently formulating my response while you were typing the above. I appreciate you stepping in. It's kind of cute really. On the one hand he says that carb cycling won't work unless you are under 20% bodyfat but yet he keeps advocating it with such zealotry. Other than people with serious eating disorders who are trying to gain weight, I can't think of anyone on this forum in that category. I'm sure there are a few but then they wouldn't be reading about a middle aged lady's quest to lose 30 lbs. The people reading this are all the other middle aged ladies wanting to lose some weight.
    Good message, wrong audience.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    The funny thing is that I have been doing carb cycling--and it is working for me--and I am probably close to 20% bodyfat ATM, lol!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    The funny thing is that I have been doing carb cycling--and it is working for me--and I am probably close to 20% bodyfat ATM, lol!
    I'm not really sure about my exact percentage. How did you have yours measured?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I'm not really sure about my exact percentage. How did you have yours measured?
    I'm simply guessing, based on comparison with the pics in Batty's "grokettes" thread. Methinks bf measurements are good for tracking progress, but aren't necessarily going to be accurate, in any case.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I've found this whole discussion (yes, both sides!) quite interesting.

Paleobird broke through her plateau by going higher protein, lower fat, low carb.

Chocotaco broke through his with carb cycling, heavy on the starches.

And Eelnus must go through a pound of butter a day.

Just goes to show how very different we all are and how nothing is a given for a specific person, but it doesn't mean we can't try any or all of the above to see what works for us.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Gender and age are still the two most influential factors. And, of course, there are always a few exceptions that prove the rule, hence statistical distribution.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    I've found this whole discussion (yes, both sides!) quite interesting.

Paleobird broke through her plateau by going higher protein, lower fat, low carb.

Chocotaco broke through his with carb cycling, heavy on the starches.

And Eelnus must go through a pound of butter a day.

Just goes to show how very different we all are and how nothing is a given for a specific person, but it doesn't mean we can't try any or all of the above to see what works for us.
    add to that those that had to increase calories to get past a stall or to see results at all.

Kudos to those that find what works for them. I don't believe in the 1 size fits all.

finngirl71 is offline Member
    Paleo, I have to tell you that I've spent hours going through forum posts on different ideas, and yours have been, by far, the most helpful for me. I'm 40, but I have a body that loves to hang on to every precious ounce of body fat. Since jumping on here and following your "plan", I'm finally seeing the scale consistently move for the first time in 20 months.

I have *always* been a believer in monitoring calories - it just makes sense that if you want to lose, you need to create a deficit of some kind. When I was doing 1200-1400 calories, 100g protein, under 50g of fat, I could NOT lose. I'd drop a pound, get all excited and then gain it back over the weekend (love my alcohol!!). I can't tell you how many times I've busted my ass working out, put on pants only to have them tighter than the week before, and stood in my closet and cried about my shitty body. Now I'm consistently at 1550-1700 cals, 120-160g protein, 100g fat, under 30g carbs - usually under 20 - and losing like crazy. Pounds and inches. Of course I know it won't last forever and it will take some adjustment since I'm probably 10-15lbs from goal, but it is really working. (My fat count is probably off because I have been incorporating chunks of coconut oil into my day, but that seems to be a non-issue as well.)

Anyway, with Choco being as he is, I wanted to give you another "hey, it's working, don't question it!!" experience. Men are sooooo different in their loss. My husband can drop 3lbs overnight after a good workout and decent dinner. It's lovely that Choco's method is working for him, but weight loss is obviously not a one size fits all undertaking.

And please, give yourself a giant hug from me!!

Kathy

greek_girl is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I'm not sure why you're being so defensive. It's always my goal to give someone an alternate perspective to think over. You being older than me is irrelevant. That fallacy is one of the first you'll learn in any critical reasoning class. There's a reason why I asked you what your method was when you tried. For example, you mention fruit. Carb refeeds deal with starches. If you tried a refeed with fruit, it would be a terrible failure. You want very little fructose - maybe 1 to 2 servings a day. None would be much better than copious.

Here's the reality - none of us truly know what works best for us. We may think we do, but 6 months from now, a new study will get released that'll show us something we've been doing horribly wrong for years. This forum is all about providing alternate methods to help us all out. It's not about speaking authoritatively and striking down anyone with a thought different than ours. If ANY of us were doing everything right, none of us would be here at all. Outside of a 7 week CKD, I have done a total of 2 48 hour carb refeeds since going primal a few months ago. They truly did help me bust a plateau I was stuck on since before I went totally primal. That is why I'll be doing a third. It really works.

I'm not here to "push my agenda". I'm here to help you, and sometimes help means tearing down your defenses and letting go of preconceived notions. If you choose to sweep everything I'm saying under the rug, that's fine, but if this all so much as helps one other person on this forum, then it was worth it.
    I really like and found very informative Paleobird's post. It really made me think about my fat intake and portion control. However I think ChocoTaco is right when he is saying that Paleobird is being defensive. Unless this thread belongs to her, I think anyone can post their views and methods on how to achieve their personal goals. I have tried cyclic carbing without success because I probably didn't do it correctly and more likely because I couldn't stand the thought of counting carbs on every single day. This is a forum and not a place to tell people to back off!
    Last edited by greek_girl; 05-05-2011 at 07:20 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes!

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    On the subject of "carb refeeding" I'll add a bit - twice when I was on my big weight loss cycle, I took a trip abroad for about two weeks and lost control of primal food choices, more or less. Both times upon coming back I immediately lost several pounds - and it wasn't all water, and I kept it off - I do think there is some virtue in changing things up in general, both with food choices and exercise. The body seeks homeostasis and if you are trying to reach a new "stasis point" (fat %) then disrupting the general state of affairs may well have benefits. My suspicion is that this general principle explains part of the appeal of the "leangains" approach as well. Male, 39, was fat now skinny.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 14 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast