Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alien vegetables at Trader Joe's! page

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

See what I got at Trader Joe's today for $2.99:

http://www.doyletics.com/images/92bstree.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of brussel sprouts, but I've never seen them on the stalk before, and I just HAD to get one! Is that one of the coolest vegetables you've ever seen, or what?

I'm leaving it on the table today for a centerpiece. The house is so darn cold (our heater is broken) that it should last till tomorrow just fine.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

DM: What a beautiful sight!!!

Never had a "tree" of them before, but we bought sme sprouts at the Farmers' Market yesterday and sauteed them. How are you going to cook your little beauties?

Del Mar Mel Guest

Oh wow! Those are very cool. I actually do like them steamed. I'll have to grab some of those this week.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Bake it whole!!

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

I haven&#39;t decided yet: either baked, steamed or sauteed. Not sure if I want them in some sort of sauce, or just drizzled in coconut oil.

By the way, that&#39;s not a personal photo; it&#39;s an image I found through google. That kitchen looks way too organized to be mine!

Griff is offline Senior Member

My favorite way to cook brussels sprouts:

12 Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved

2 cloves garlic, minced

4 slices bacon

2 TB olive oil

Black pepper to taste

2 TB walnuts

Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until crisp, rendering fat. Remove bacon to paper towels to drain. Add olive oil, garlic and brussels sprouts to pan. Cook for 8-10 minutes, or until sprouts begin to caramelize. Crumble bacon and return to pan. Season with pepper.

Toast walnuts in dry pan over stove. Add to sprout pan, toss, and serve.

Serves 2.

Nutrition information per serving:

Calories: 345

Fat: 19g

Cholesterol: 32mg

Sodium: 620mg

Carbs: 6g

Sugars: 2g

Fiber: 3g

Protein: 16g

Om, nom, nom.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

That does look good; I&#39;ll have to see if I can pick up a small pack of bacon at the store tomorrow.

I rarely cook bacon, not because I don&#39;t like it, but because it always makes such a mess spattering all over the place.

Indiscreet is offline Junior Member

I&#39;ll try that, Griff.

Yes you can get brussel sprout trees in UK around Christmas (since they are part of Christmas dinner here) although you can get the brussels any time in small bags.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

I saw them on the stalk at the farmer&#39;s market last year for the first time, it&#39;s so cool! It&#39;s amazing to see how things are actually grown, I think.

Griff, that recipe sounds really good! I haven&#39;t been a huge fan of brussel sprouts in the past, but maybe I&#39;ll like them after being carmelized in bacon grease Works for just about anything else! I&#39;ve heard they&#39;re very good halved and roasted as well.

Oh dragonmamma I cook my bacon in the oven, so that it doesn&#39;t spatter everywhere. I hate that! It takes about 10 minutes per side in a 375 degree oven for chewy-ish bacon (my fave), and as long as you don&#39;t use a flat cookie sheet with no sides, you&#39;ll have lovely bacon grease to fry with as well!

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

But then doesn&#39;t it just spatter all over the oven? If there&#39;s anything I hate worse than cleaning up a greasy stove-top, it&#39;s cleaning up a greasy oven!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast