Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calluses' Journal page

calluses is offline Junior Member

Calluses' Journal

Shop Now
    I thought it was time to post an update and it occurred to me that I may as well journal my experiences. My status: Iím still here. Fat and disgruntled, but here.

Background:
    I am an overweight post-menopausal woman who works long hours at a sedentary job.

Iíve read PB and WWGF as well as the Eadesí PP and a number of relevant blogs. I eat a primal, low sodium diet: veggies, meat, eggs and fats plus a bit of fruit. No grains, no soda pop, no caffeine, no ďlow-carbĒ frankenfoods. I sleep about 7 hours each night, sometimes a bit more.

I posted in the forums about two weeks ago to complain about my lack of weight loss and was advised to track what I eat, eat less and cut back on the nuts and cheese I was eating. I have done so and worked hard to stick to my meat, veggies and eggs. Iíve added coconut oil and some light exercise --- around 15 or 20 minutes --- not every single day, but most days. That's not a lot, but it's 15-20 minutes more than I was getting before.

After two weeks, my clothes fit no differently than before, so I weighed myself today. The bottom line? Iíve gained three pounds. Three frakking pounds. Gee, thanks, Primal Blueprint, now I have three pounds more to lose.

Not only have I gained three pounds, but I have often spent my days frustrated and hungry. I feel like going outside and slamming my head against the sidewalk.

Iíve been monitoring my food intake via SparkPeople and have been eating between 1900 and 2000 calories a day. Here are the last three daysí intake:

Day 1
    1994 calories
    47% fat
    39.4% protein
    13.5% carbs

Day 2
    1924 calories
    48.8 % fat
    36 % protein
    15 % carbs

Day 3
    2010 calories
    53% fat
    28% protein
    18% carbs

In general, I eat eggs for breakfast (sometimes fried in coconut oil, sometimes baked into breakfast muffins with veggies); salad with chicken or beef for lunch with an olive-oil-based dressing; celery dipped in olive-oil-spice dressing for a snack or eggs (sometimes Iíll have an apple with 1-2 tablespoons of hazelnut butter) and meat (steak or rarely, fish) with veggies for dinner. This isnít enough food to keep me sated --- like I said, often I have ended up frustrated and hungry because I donít know what more to eat (or if I *should* eat more).

Whatís really frustrating is to learn that I have actually *GAINED* weight this way.

I ate a small bowl of ice cream tonight. Anyone who starts spouting that this isn't a weight loss diet but a way of life blah blah blah and that I shouldnít have eaten ice cream blah blah blah can bite my lily-white three-pounds-heavier a**.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    It's unfortunate that you're not seeing any benefits and are getting even more frustrated, but I think you might benefit from reading Paleobird's calorie counting thread that she posted today http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29501.html

From reading her post, I know that I'm plateau'd because I've been taking in too many of my calories from fat and not enough from protein.

It can be really confusing when you've got athletes, men, women, recovering anorexics, former vegans, etc. etc. all giving advice from different points of view ... and I think we're all giving you advice because we don't want you to quit, we know that PB will help you, you just have to figure out the right ratios.

I think you're probably still taking in too many calories for your current activity level (congrats on starting exercise BTW!) but if you up your protein percentage, I think you'll feel a lot fuller. Also, are you drinking enough? Thirst can masquerade as hunger. If you don't like to drink a lot of water, have a broth soup with your meal.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Paleobird Guest
    With only light exercise and depending on your height, I think 2000/day is more like maintenance. You need to create a deficit to lose. I'm 5'10" and I'm aiming for 1500/day for weight loss and it's working. Don't listen to all the people telling you "it's a lifestyle not a diet". That drives me up the wall. (And, frankly, I get the impression that they are the ones who are too darn complacent{read lazy} to make any changes). Right on the cover of the PB it says "Effortless weight loss". Yes, it is possible to be thin and unhealthy but, for those us us struggling with excess weight, getting thinner IS getting healthier.

Whatever you do, don't give up. You can do this.

Robin

Thanks!

Thanks, Belinda. After I posted here, I *did* come across PaleoBirdís thread and what she wrote made a lot of sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    It can be really confusing when you've got athletes, men, women, recovering anorexics, former vegans, etc. etc. all giving advice from different points of view ... and I think we're all giving you advice because we don't want you to quit, we know that PB will help you, you just have to figure out the right ratios.
    And I really, really appreciate the support. It truly IS confusing for a newbie to read conflicting advice, particularly when some peopleís advice is so contrary to the PB book. But itís nice to know someone cares whether or not I can benefit from this program.

Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    I think you're probably still taking in too many calories for your current activity level (congrats on starting exercise BTW!) but if you up your protein percentage, I think you'll feel a lot fuller. Also, are you drinking enough? Thirst can masquerade as hunger. If you don't like to drink a lot of water, have a broth soup with your meal.
    Youíre right --- I am definitely taking in too many calories for my current activity level. I had taken Mark S. at his word when he wrote (in PB) that one could enjoy a higher than normal caloric intake and still lose weight. Thatís not to mention all the people in this forum who write about eating all you want while the pounds melt away. I should have known it was too good to be true.

As for exercise, I know itís pathetic. I need to exercise more, but donít always find the time or energy. Thatís just my life right now.

I am sipping water and herbal tea all day long, so Iím definitely well-hydrated.

Thanks again, Belinda!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    With only light exercise and depending on your height, I think 2000/day is more like maintenance. You need to create a deficit to lose. I'm 5'10" and I'm aiming for 1500/day for weight loss and it's working.
    I need to get someone to help me measure my height. I was always 5í10Ē, but last month my doctorís nurse measured me at 5í9Ē. When I remarked about people like me losing height as we get older, she said, ďNope, you woní t lose an entire inch.Ē (But apparently I did . . . )

Anyway, I saw your thread about calorie restriction and higher protein, and it made sense. I should probably aim to hit something closer to 1500/day as well.

Don't listen to all the people telling you "it's a lifestyle not a diet". That drives me up the wall. (And, frankly, I get the impression that they are the ones who are too darn complacent{read lazy} to make any changes). Right on the cover of the PB it says "Effortless weight lossĒ.
    Yes, youíre right. Not only does the cover say that, but chapter 8 is entitled ďA Primal Approach to Weight LossĒ. The index references 54 pages under the topic ďweight lossĒ. This website says ďIf you want to lose weight, gain muscle, increase energy levels, reduce stress or just generally look and feel healthier you've come to the right place.Ē and ďWhat if you could flip switches in your body that control whether youÖStore fat or melt fat awayĒ. Anyway, I know, Iím preaching to the choir, but just wanted to say that I totally agree with you.

Whatever you do, don't give up. You can do this.
    Oh, what kind and helpful words for you to post! Thank you.

Another Day; Another Salad

Todayís posting:

Today didnít go so well. I mean, it did and it didnít. I didnít scarf down a three-layer cake or anything, but I found myself at a loss as to what to eat.

PaleoBirdís calorie-restriction thread was inspiring. I followed up reading it with another read-through of ones of the Eadesí books (donít recall which one). That was last night.

So I started out the day with three hard-boiled eggs for breakfast (7:00 AM) and quickly deteriorated to eating a morning snack of celery with two tablespoons of almond butter. (9:00 am) Shouldnít have had the nut butter. By 10:45 a.m. I was feeling a bit peckish, but didnít know what to eat. So I started nibbling on my lunch: roasted chicken on a truckload of lettuce.

I left work early and came home, only to end up standing in front of an open fridge with a furrowed brow. I need to figure out what to eat so I can have it on hand when I get hungry. I had a bit more chicken, at a small piece of cheese (less than an ounce).

That didnít hold me long. I saw that someone had left some sugar-free Jello in the fridge (mmm, lemon!). Five calories, zero carbs, zero fat and one gram of protein. So I ate it. Then I ate another one. I don't know what is wrong with me --- eating Jello?!? That's not what I want.

I donít know what Iíll do for dinner tonight. More lettuce and chicken, I guess. This isnít going to work unless I can figure out what to eat.

Can you push your breakfast back to say 9:00? This gives your body a couple hours to use its fat reserves for energy, then perhaps you could make it through to lunchtime without snacking. That's what I try to do.

Fridge-raiding type snacks for me would be deli roast beef or turkey or maybe some frozen berries. For the next 30 days I have to try and up my protein (doing a 30 day challenge) so I think I'll be buying and eating a lot more deli meat.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!

F/49/5'4"
    GW 140 lbs

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    Any time I've been able to lose weight it all really came down to planning. I absolutely have to have at least a skeleton of a plan, or I will do exactly what you did today. In fact, I did spend too much time yesterday just grazing and therefore never feeling satisfied. I had wanted to skip lunch, but didn't plan well, and didn't get the pot roast into the crock pot until late, so dinner was hours away and I was hungry. I would have been better off just making myself a meal instead of eating a little bit here and there over the course of several hours.

Since you work long hours, can you cook on the weekend? If you don't mind eating the same thing several times over a few days you could do something like a pot roast, meatballs, or a roast chicken. I always hard boil 6 or 8 eggs and leave them in a bowl in the fridge and then eat them for breakfast, or sliced in a salad or even add them to soup. Every now and then I'll roast a chicken, and eat it that way for a dinner or two with some vegetables, then pick the remaining meat off and make a chicken salad, and then use the carcass for broth. Later I can just throw a bunch of vegetables in the broth and maybe break an egg or two in there to poach too. That's makes a really nice breakfast. It'll take some experimenting to figure out what you like and get prep times down to a minimum. Even chopping a bunch of vegetables on the weekend would make it easy to throw together a quick salad or a curry with a can of coconut milk and a little curry paste. I have also been trying to figure out some quick dinners, and honestly, one of my favorite things so far is just to grill up a steak and steam some vegetables, it takes maybe 10 minutes, and I usually end up cooking a huge steak, eating half and then having the other half for lunch the next day, or with eggs for breakfast. Have a look through the recipes threads in the forums, there are a lot of good ideas there. I don't do any sort of rigid weekly menu, I'm just grabbing a combination of vegetables and meats and fish that I like when I go to the store (no more than once or twice a week, I don't have time for shopping either), and mixing & matching through the week.

As for weight loss, I am in pretty much the same boat, after a month, it seems like it might actually be moving in a downward direction (by a whopping 1 lb!). I have been tweeking and adjusting, and I'm hoping that what I'm doing now will work. I cut back on dairy and stopped eating nuts, but I actually added a few more carbs in the form of sweet potatoes.

Really, don't give up, there are a lot of us here who haven't had the pounds miraculously melt off while eating spoonfuls of butter! I do think that this is a sustainable way for me to eat, and I do feel better in a lot of ways, so I'm definitely going to stick with it, even if it means that it takes a year to lose the 70 lbs I need to lose!
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

So much for starting a journal. I havenít been posting here, because it doesnít feel like I should do so if Iím not eating primal. It feels like I don't belong.

Iíve been trying to figure out what I should be doing. I havenít had any grains in well over a month. Iíve tried to focus on salads with meat for my main meals, supplemented with eggs and veggies, but itís not enough. I find Iím quite hungry between meals, so then I lose my focus and determination.

I keep a plastic container of hard-boiled eggs in the fridge, but I can only eat so many eggs before I'm covered in an itchy rash. I nibble on leftover chicken, but the nibbles quickly turn into much more. I find myself standing in front of an open fridge, not knowing what else to eat.

My weight is still up. I am quite obese, with a BMI of more than 31. Itís very frustrating --- I'm frustrated at myself. (Why can't I eat spoonfuls of coconut oil and watch the fat melt away?!?)

Iíve been exercising every day and re-reading the Eadesí ď30-day Low Carb SolutionĒ. I think Iíll re-read Taubesí ďWhy We Get FatĒ next. Maybe if I understand it better, I can figure out how I can do this.

Anyway, this is pretty disjointed but I just thought Iíd pop in and post an update, in case anyone was interested.

Gee, I hoped you were posting that you were seeing some positive changes. Even exercising every day is a positive change

F/49/5'4"
    GW 140 lbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast