Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toning hips/Thighs/butt page

Toning hips/Thighs/butt

Primal Fuel
    I've lost almost 40lbs (and 3 pant sizes) on the PB since January...I've toned my upper body alot and I'm starting to actually see some stomach muscles and abs for the first time ever I think in my life. Extremely happy with the progress in those areas so far. My thighs, hips/butt though is still very flabby and I don't feel like I've seen much progress in those areas. I know I've read several times you can't spot target weight loss, but my arms, chest, and stomach have definitly improved at a faster rate than my bottom half...

I've been doing a lot of squats, I can do 50 un weighted prisoner style ones without completely exhausting myself (its tough don't get me wrong but I'm not collapsing on the floor when I'm done). I've also been mixing it up using a 40lb single dumb bell holding it with both hands squatting (I can do about 30 of those). I've tried holding a 40lbs dumbell in each hand and squatting but it seems to bother my lower back (not got the right form I'm sure) Also with an unweighted barbell above my head. I've added 50lbs to the barebell and that definitely adds to the difficulty but I feel like I'm using my upper body again more to help stabalize it than I am really working my legs. I can do about 15 of those before I need to bring the bar down.

My quads have gotten much tighter and I can definitely feel the muscle improvement there, but the other areas...not so much. I've also read that you should concentrate on putting the weight on the back of your feet, even lifting your toes up off the floor. 99% of the time I'm doing squats barefoot so thats easy and I do that also most of the time.

What do I need to do, add more weight? Do lunges instead? (They are really akward feeling to me for some reason) Are there any other alternative/additional movements I can do to help strengthen and tone these areas?

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    Try single leg hip thrusts to target the butt.

Melody is offline Senior Member
    when you do them with weights how deep are you squatting? deadlifts and squats and sprinting are all you really need for awesome legs without getting fancy.

I try to go all the way down. Its uncomfortable for my shoulders to be up in the air doing the prisoner style or with the barbell if I go ass to the grass, but definitely below horizontal

Melody is offline Senior Member
    why not do a regular barbell squat instead of holding it overhead?

Conner P. is offline Senior Member
    I second regular barbell squat and do it HEAVY. Your legs are used to being work horses and wont care if you do pansy stuff with them. If you want to whip them into shape, you need to push them until they almost can't go anymore. Legs are mostly mind over muscle. Your legs can do it, you just have to have the will power to do it. And when you are doing squats, you should need to be using both quads and hamstrings. If you are lifting heavy enough, your quads won't get you the whole way through the lift. You will need to use your hamstrings to get out of the bottom of the lift and your glutes to finish it.

Same exact thing with sprints. Push your legs till they can't go anymore. It's all mind over muscle.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    OP - it sounds like you are making good progress (in both bodyfat reduction and performance). How much more bodyfat do you have to lose? We are all pre-disposed to lose bodyfat in sequence - it may well be that it will start to shift from your hips last.

PixieKitten is offline Senior Member
    At this point I would remind you that simply walking a lot will get a lot of excess fat off. If you were looking for something outside a gym and you're not allergic, I would definately recommend horse riding as it uses your entire body and it really strengthens your legs and core especially!

But you know, squats and stuff work too, as everyone else has said. I'm just more of an outdoorsy-work-out-without-thinking-about-it person than a gym person xD
    Bunny trainer extraordinaire!

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    are you squatting down like you're about to sit in a chair? pushing off from your heels? squeezing your butt cheeks?

variety-wise- sumo squats, plie squats, lunges, walking lunges, jump squats, box steps, side lunges, split squats, stiff leg deadlifts

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    OP - it sounds like you are making good progress (in both bodyfat reduction and performance). How much more bodyfat do you have to lose? We are all pre-disposed to lose bodyfat in sequence - it may well be that it will start to shift from your hips last.
    This.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast