Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CW Catching onto Fruit Juices page

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Big story in the LA Times about increasing concern about the overconsumption of sweet fruit juices.

http://tinyurl.com/yg87qsu

They had some good quotes from Dr. Lustig of "Sugar: The Bitter Truth." Frankly, I was surprised to see how the write really spoke out against juices. The spokespeople for juice were coated, but she stuck to the "this is too much" slant.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Wow, OTB---thanks for the link.

Maybe there's hope for CW after all ;-)

wug
    wug is offline Junior Member

Not long after reading your link, I had to go try fix someone's phone and we got to talking about diet (she wanted to lose a few kgs) and then she proceeds to tell me that it was so hot today that she couldn't resist having not one, but TWO juices from the caferteria!

I had what my sister would call a "dot dot dot" moment. Like in the comic books, when a character is left speechless/flabbergast/confused/etc.

I did suggest maybe that wasn't the way to go about reaching her goal. Very nicely, of course.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

"I'll bet you wouldn't eat the sugar in six oranges, would you?"

"No!"

"That's what a glass of OJ is. Not an orange, but six."

Niklas Guest

Seems overstated. When I used to squeeze my own juice from orange I would get a glass of OJ out of two oranges.

Acmebike is offline Member

Overstated or not, fruit juice is THE SAME as washing a vitamin down with a soda. Sugar is sugar is sugar. The CW "all things in moderation" angle was evident in the LA Times piece, they talked about "too much" juice being bad nutrition. I'd put forth the statement that any fruit juice is too much fruit juice.

halloweenbinge is offline Junior Member

I never understood why people think fruit juice is a healthier alternative to fruit. Even if you don't know that all it does it have a higher sugar concentration and a quicker hit on the insulin, wouldn't logic tell you hey.. an orange, a glass of oj, isn't this the same sh.. stuff?

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

I found a cookbook in my cupboard entitled somethin got the effect of 'Cooking without Sugar'. But, almost every recipe that I was interested in called for concentrated fruit juice. Ugh!

I grok, therefore I am.

my_second Guest

@Niklas:

Although squeezing 2 fresh oranges would yield a glass, notice that you didn't add additional sugar. The boxed juice companies did. So that might well amount to the sugar in six oranges in a glass.

maba is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Thanks for the article OTB. Good to know news like this is becoming mainstream. One of my colleagues was sick and she came back this morning and was telling me how she treated her cold. She said she drank lots of OJ (better than coke I suppose) and right now she's drinking Red Bull so she can feel energetic. I looked at the ingredients and they read: sucrose, glucose, caffeine,... sigh. I just forwarded this link to her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast