Remind her that you're a growing boy, and your inner carnivore demands meat to reach your full manhood potential!
Ok, I know this is a newbie question and its in the book, but im 17 and for some reason my parents think grains are necessary! So i told them we will debate it tonight at dinner, and i can do a decent job, however i was wondering if you guys could give me some research. My stepmom kept saying studies have shown that grains are neccesary to prevent cancer(BS). So i know this may have already been covered, but i appreciate the help
Search MDA. "The Definitive Guide to Grains" I think? Just google "grains". Mark has plenty to say about why they're poisonous. We're not gonna do that for you!
Tell her a lot of studies are sponsored by companies. Ask her to print the studies and examine the studies for how well they are set up.
(this is asking a lot of a 17 year old, but you could start learning about what making scientific research valid)
She is probably living under the assumption that everything will be okay if listens to Conventional Wisdom, which is an easy way out for not taking full responsibility for learning about nutrition. If you want to really know about something, you have to invest time to learn and do your own research.
Also you could tell her the following things:
- carbs can't be used to repair the body, fats and protein can, grains contain a lot of carbs
- carbs in grains have a higher glycemix index than those in vegetables, increasing likely hood of energy mood swings trhu insulin release throwing off energy levels, which leads to hypertension and food cravings.
- grains contain less vitamins and fibre than do fruits, meat, fish and veggies + the vitamins they do contain are poorly absorbed by the body
- the fact that you can't eat grain raw tells you something about nature's intentions
- no animal eats grains in their natural environment + human beings only started eating grains very recently in evolution
- a lot of grain products contain shitty additives like glucose fructose corn syrup which has poisonous effects on the body
You don't have to convince her neccessarily, just stop eating grains.
Thanks Guys i appreciate it! I will use that and i found Mark's post. I have done research as well but im not the best at being able to debate and communicate these ideas but i think i will be able to especially since i wish they would stop eating them.
Same here I can never recall information when I'm debating. Seems most people aren't interested anyway, in nutrition in general. They're quite happy on their grainy carby diets.
Tends to be people who aren't in good health to start with who are open to intelligent debate.
There is nothing in grains that are good that vegetables can provide with nothing but benefits. Take a diet based off a food pyramid or almost any modern diet recommendation with plenty of "healthy" grains, you WILL be in a vitamin/mineral deficit as defined probably by the same people who made those food recommendations, while when you eat paleo you will have exceeded the recommendations for vitamins and minerals... But seriously lets pretend grains dont have lectins, glutens, and phytates, there is still no reason to eat grains unless you want a calorie dense meal that makes you hungry and store fat. Only argument is that they are cheap, but then you will be paying for it later in life anyway.
Tell her grains give you the runs. I bet if you cut them out then have some again, you'll find that's true anyway.
I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
"We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".