Thread: Just call me Grokkunzel page

Bevaboo is offline Senior Member

Just call me Grokkunzel

Primal Fuel
    My little girl's favorite princess is Rapunzel, so I can be Grokkunzel, right? I can't remember when I started PB. I can figure it out, but that would require effort on my part, and it's Saturday. That effort thing ain't gonna happen.

I started out by joining the gym in January. I didn't care about my weight, I was just tired of being weak all the time. I was in a car accident in '01, and I was seriously injured. I can't remember anything for a couple months. I was only in a coma for a small part of that time, but I remember very little until I was released from the hospital. Long story short, I broke my left arm and leg and was cobbled back together with titanium rods, plates and pins.

Physical therapy was both arduous and painful, and there was only a brief effort to get stronger after I was released from the hospital. Because I had neither the tools nor the knowledge, though, I gave up on that pretty quickly. Before the accident, I was size 3, 119#. In the next two years, I ballooned to 155#.

At that point, I got married (fat bride!) and got pregnant twice. Pregnancy kept me from becoming ginormous, of that I am sure. I ate better while I was pregnant and breastfeeding, and, of course, breastfeeding helped take off some weight. I was 129# when my youngest was weaned almost 4 years ago, and I've been yo-yo dieting until I got up to 163#. When I saw that on the scale, combined with 4 diabetics in the family (including my father and sister), and my growing frustration at not being able to even climb that flippin' stairs, I decided to join the gym.

The gym really helped, but I didn't really know how to work out, per se. I am woefully uncoordinated, so I knew I was better off doing weights than anything. I couldn't use the elliptical or the exercise bike (still can't with my knee), so I stuck with the treadmill and weights. I felt at loose ends with the weights, though. I was desperately searching the web to try to figure it out when I ran across Primal Blueprint. I tried his workout, and I absolutely fell in love with it by the end of two weeks. It was doing me such good that I decided to try Sisson's dietary recommendations.

In the first two months I did the gym, I lost 5# and got my legs strong enough to climb the stairs without hanging on. Since I went primal, I've lost 14#, can carry laundry up the stairs without a struggle, and I'm seeing actual muscle-looking indentations on my arms and legs. I'm not doing this for vanity, to LGN or anything else. I'm doing this to get better, stronger than I was before the accident.
    Your book club may have scintillating discussions. But my book club can drink your book club under the table.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Grokkunzel. I hope primal continues to work for you.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Congrats on your successes so far!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Thanks for the welcomes! I feel happy for my successes thus far, but I know I've still got a long road ahead of me.

I find myself constantly correcting my husband when he calls primal a diet. It's not a diet, it's a WOL. I think he's still having trouble with realizing that things ain't gonna change once I'm happy with my fitness level. I do not want to go back to where I was. Already, I feel so much stronger, so much healthier. Why would I ever want to stop doing this?

Today was a LHT day at the gym... I love doing the 5 essentials right now. Now that I've learned to pad my bad knee during pushups. (I hate having a bad knee; I have to figure out a way around it so much. It can be a total PIA.) I'm so grateful for having found Primal Fitness. It's made such a difference. The one thing I really wish I could see is a thread on the improvements women have made in going primal. The inspiration would be invaluable. I've looked at the success thread, but finding women on that thread has proven difficult. And I have children, so I really don't have the time to dig through things, lol.

I have 9 months before my contract at the gym is up. Hopefully, that will be enough time for me to evaluate whether to renew. Right now, the only equipment I use is the chin-up bar. I'm just not sure I will make myself work out without the ritual of going to the gym. And working out in a place with nothing to distract me. I dunno. I've got time to think about it, though.
    Your book club may have scintillating discussions. But my book club can drink your book club under the table.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I don't do the gym thing, but since going Primal at the start of March I'm down a total of 22 lbs (lost some CW from Jan - March). I've been doing lots of low-level cardio (about 40 min walking, biking per day), wall pushups, squats, and a bit of lifting heavy things (well, heavy for me, usually a bottle of laundry detergent instead of a kettlebell).

DH is quite impressed by the biceps I'm building, how I've slimmed down my thighs, and that he can actually feel my ribs when he puts his arms around me (almost twice he says!) He's also commented on the improvement in my facial skin, which has more colour, less bumps, feels way less doughy (to me) and I swear I can almost see cheekbones!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Kettlebell, laundry detergent. Whatever works for you. Walking and body weight exercises is about the extent of what I do right now. I'm just not sure I'm not psychologically dependent on the gym. I joined the gym a couple months before I found out about Primal Fitness, and PF has really helped me so much more than just plain lifting weights. But, but... I'm not sure I don't need the gym just for the fact that it gives me a place where my only focus for half an hour or an hour is working out. My gym has childcare, which is a big plus, too. No crazy little girls to distract me, and all that. That may be my favorite part of the gym!

I'm so happy you mentioned the improvements to your skin. I really wasn't sure if I wasn't just imagining things, but I swear I don't really need makeup now. Except for my scary blonde eyelashes that make me look like I don't have any if I don't put color on them.

Day of Reckoning, since I forgot about doing this on the first. No movement on the scale for the past week, BUT I did my monthly measurements, and they tell a different story. I've lost a total of 12.5 inches from my chest/bust, waist, and thighs. No change in my calves or forearms, or, surprisingly, in my upper arms. I was quite surprised by my upper arms, since they're so much more toned than before. Probably replaced some fat with muscle, but they look better, so I'll be satisfied with that.

Well, I didn't get the chance to weigh myself today, so I'll go with my weight from yesterday. I was kind of afraid it was an anomaly, now I won't find out for awhile, yay!

Hated today, had a few slip-ups, kind of stressful. Tomorrow promises to be just as hectic. My newly turned 5 year old's birthday. Fourteen kids coming, ugh! Not looking forward to dealing with this particular evil of parenthood... *sigh*

Been awhile, but I'm back. Did I miss me, lol?

The longer I do this primal thing, the better I feel about it. I've decided that the people who freak over micronutrients, etc., are a little more obsessive than I'd like to be right now. Never say never, but I feel fine saying Not now.

I've been experimenting with my WO's, going to the gym twice a day M-W for different types of workouts. Because of the things I have to do for my kids, that's just what's working out for me until summer. This is what it looks like:

M - LHT in the AM, nap at lunch, 1 hour MS in the PM
    T - 1 hour MS in the AM, nap, then sprints in the PM
    W - Same as Monday
    Th - afternoons are booked, so 1 hour MS in the AM
    F - light LHT session before school lets out at 12:30
    S-Su - 'Rest', and all that that entails

I've decided to give up shampoo and deodorant, I'll let me know how that goes. I'm also trying to get started on raw feeding my cats, just not sure if they'll co-operate. Oh, I pray they will, that'll save me so much money!