Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perfect Dental Check-up page

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member

Perfect Dental Check-up

Primal Fuel
    Five years ago my dentist told me that I had "deep pockets" between my teeth and gums indicating some bone loss due to decay. He insisted that I see the periodontist. I never made the appointment and avoided the dentist all together until last October. I had been Primal only a few weeks, but that coupled with "oil pulling" with coconut oil gave me a pretty good check up. The hygienist still wanted to "Map" my pockets in yet another attempt to get me to the periodontist.

So, On Thursday I had my six month check up. It was to be a long appointment for cleaning and mapping.

Due to being Primal over six months, I had very little tartar buildup. My gums were in great shape and barely bled even though I am on Coumadin (a blood thinner). The doctor pronounced me to be in great dental health and they did not even bother to map the pockets because they were a normal depth.

The dentist commented on my weightloss and asked me what I was doing. I told him about the PB. I wonder if he made the connection between the turn around in my dental health and the lack of sugar and grains in my diet?
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 04-30-2011 at 12:54 PM.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, Paula. That is so inspiring!!

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    Outstanding! I too had a couple of pockets, one was really big, had become abcessed and hurt like hell. Before going Primal I had two treatments with some kind of specialized machine - reminded me of a damned mig welder - that cauterized the gum tissue and killed the cooties, supposedly allowing the pocket to heal. If this didn't work the next step was a root canal. I was sweating that because the first two sessions didn't have much affect in diminishing the pocket; it wasn't much smaller and it still hurt.

Life got in the way, I missed the next two appointments for the third treatment. Was so busy with work and home issues I don't know how long it took me to realize my gums didn't hurt any more and there was no tenderness even when I pushed on the spot. Next appointment went just like Pebbles' - pocket healed, no sign of infection or receeding.

Now, the two treatments I received may well have helped and/or accelerated the healing, but I'm betting most of the improvement was due to losing the grains & sugars.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Congrats, Paula!

I, too, oil pull with CO and eat a lot of it and got a surprisingly good exam, especially considering I had been lax in flossing. I was figuring my dental hygienist would be coming after me with a stick (due to sporadic flossing only). Instead, my gums were all of a sudden in the best shape they've been since they've been seeing me (four years).
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    My last checkup was a year ago. My teeth have been in bad condition for a long time and I expect a lecture and two fillings every time I go. Last time they said, "you ought to come more often, but everything looks fine" - first time in my life. Lack of sugar, more vit D, more general health? Who knows.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations! Finally having good dental check-ups was the biggest, happiest surprise I had getting off the carbs. I've got more money in my mouth than any automobile I've ever owned (even with good dental insurance), so this was more than good news for me. I've heard the same from several low-carb/primal friends.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    That's great!! I noticed a huge difference in my teeth after going primal... not more coating on my back teeth all the time. That drove me crazy.

thepaleochild is offline Senior Member
    I actually just posted about Quinn's first dental visit. Most dentists are pretty happy with Paleo and Primal diets. And yes, the way we eat DEFINITELY makes a difference. The only thing my teeth feel icky after is drinking coffee. And occasionally the crazy broccoli bit. :P

SammD234 is offline Junior Member
    (Newb here) what's 'oil pulling' ?

Sol y Sombra is offline Senior Member
    Oh, I do hope I don't get as much tartar buildup in the future... I always have a lot of tartar, I had quite a lot this time too, but I hadn't been to the dentist's in two years and I have only been primal for 6 months now... Luckily the dentist found no cavities or other issues, just the tartar buildup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast