Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Perfect Dental Check-up page 2

cdub is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm 27 and have generally had good dental health in the past, but I've been more than a year overdue for a cleaning and general checkup. I finally went in (to a new dentist, at that) about two weeks ago. For the past 8-12 months I've been using almost no "conventional," chemical-laden toothpaste and instead been using Tooth Soap (found at Amazon) almost exclusively. I occasionally use some whitening conventional toothpaste just to keep the teeth a bit whiter, but typically I only do this about once per week.

Even without any "almighty" floride, the dentist said I have immaculately clean and strong teeth. They took x-rays and said the bone looks great.

I didn't tell them about my primal efforts, or my natural toothpaste, but I'm going to keep doing things the natural way for the next six months and see what he says at the next checkup. If things are still really good, I'm tempted to enlighten him and see what he says.

Anyway, just take a look at some of the chemicals in your traditional toothpastes. Nasty, nasty stuff you're putting in your mouth!
    Charlie
    28 y/o male, 6 feet tall
    Starting weight, 1/1/2011: 215 lbs. -- Current weight: 179 lbs.
    Starting waist size: 38 in. -- Current waist size: 32 in.

Primal Bob is offline Member
    I went for about 12 years without a dental check up until last February when my then girlfriend-now fiancee basically forced me to go. The first time, I had to do a periodontic cleaning becuase I had so much tartar and plaque buildup, and my gums bled like a Middle Eastern oil field.

Around my 6 month check up last September, I had just started doing paleo stuff the first time around and went back and had a perfect cleaning. Between my dentist and hygienist being really good at their jobs and switching my eating habits, I've had perfect checkups the past two visits.

I'm skeptical of natural toothpaste, though. I tried it once and it felt like it left a hippy-film on my teeth. No thanks, I'll stick to Crest.

Bron is offline Senior Member
    I'm hoping for a similar result next visit. I had to go in cos the amalgam fillings caused one corner of my molar to break off (bugger! damned expensive repair job coming up but I'm going for the ceramic crown, which will last for life. Better at about $2000!)

Anyway, I worked this morning and was de-cobwebbing and got dust in my eye again (I will learn to wear the safety glasses!) and was checking out my eye in the mirror and I noticed my teeth were brown!! Since going primal (though the hygienist thinks it may be age related) my teeth have stained The only things I eat in the brown category are chocolate and curry mix, but not that often. I now have whiter teeth

twa2w is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bron View Post
    but I'm going for the ceramic crown, which will last for life. etter at about $2000!)

Don't bet on it. I have a few of these and there is one tooth that I had to have the crown replaced 2X. The last time I went with a gold crown and it has been golden every since. I have had that about 10 years now with no problems. I have just had another ceramic crown chip off a few months ago but I am not replacing that one.

Cheers
    J

Bron is offline Senior Member
    Don't tell me that!! I hope it is guaranteed then

misspudding is offline Junior Member
    My dad's dad was a dentist. He always hated working on dad's teeth because they were so bad. He's had a dozen root canals, but he's always been meticulous about his teeth and still has them all at 66.

Fast forward to this year with my son's diagnosis of fructose malabsorption. My dad has all of the same symptoms, which I always assumed was gluten intolerance/celiac disease. My poor kid had to have a cavity filled in a baby tooth last year before being diagnosed. It was a bad year.

Upon tons of personal research, I figured out that fructose malabsorption basically causes cavities. The bacteria in the gut break the excess fructose down, causing hydrogen gas to be produced, which is painful! Here's the deal, though...hydrogen ions, when they bond with Chloride or Sulfide or any pretty basic ions in our body...form acids! So if you have HCl (hydrochloric acid) or HS (sulfuric acid) floating around from all of that hydrogen you're exhaling, you're going to have teeth that dissolve (it's the same thing that happens with acid rain and limestone = caves).

So it really is true that eating too much sugar gives you cavities. Just not the way you might have thought.
    Am I still allowed to lick rocks on this diet?

I was a vegetarian once. You should have seen my awful cholesterol back then...

5'8"
    SW 220 lbs / CW 200-ish lbs / GW 160 lbs

My paleo blog: http://meatbabe.wordpress.com

SalGal is offline Junior Member
    I've been doing Primal for several months, not perfectly, with some non-primal days. Today I had my six-month dental check-up. The hygienist said, "Your gums are so much better than before! The pockets you had are now normal. What are you doing differently? New toothbrush, different toothpaste?" I told her the only difference is that I'm not eating any grains or processed food. She was amazed and so was my dentist. And so was I.

richroberts972 is offline Junior Member
    to tell the truth i'm afraid of dental check-up. haizz. i have a decay and i want to heal it, but i'm too scared of seeing the dentist

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12