Thread: Exercise plan to counter type II diabetes / insulin resistance page

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member

Question Exercise plan to counter type II diabetes / insulin resistance

Primal Fuel
    Hello,

I have a question. I have recently been asked by someone diagnosed with pre-diabetes what the best exercise program to address insulin resistance would be. I have read repeatedly that exercise is good, but I did not find much more detailed information than that.

Based on my own readings and experience I have put a few recommendations together, and I would love to get your feedback on this, to ensure that those recommendations are indeed optimal. The post is rather long'ish (I apologise for that) and therefore I have not reproduced it here. It can be found on my blog at Exercising for Diabetes – Insuline Resistance Protocol | Thor Falk

I would be grateful for any comments, either here in the forum or directly on the blog. Thank you very much in advance!

primalclubber is offline Senior Member
    You do it by eating Primal. That's how we got our 72-year old mother off her diabetes meds. Not by an exercise program. I exercise for my well being and fitness. I eat for my health.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Proper diet first, then glycogen depleting activity.

I agree that proper diet is an absolute must, but it is not a cure, just a treatment - it simply avoids the "toxic" carbs. Exercise on the other hand has the potential to reverse insulin resistance, which in my view is as close to a cure as it gets.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Exercise can combat insulin resistance in a lot of cases, and it's really non negotiable for diabetics anyway. That said, I was heavily insulin resistant (long time T1 here) and exercise didn't improve it at all. Systemic enzymes cleared it up very quickly though. Your plan looks great by the way.

Phil-SC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    Proper diet first, then glycogen depleting activity.
    I agree with the others that diet is by far first and foremost. After that...strength training to burn the sugar in the system. Cardio helps, but make strength training the foundation.

There have been some recent interesting articles surrounding the old CW protocol to "do your cardio first, then strength train" if you do them together in single day. (as does the Youtube video above) Admittedly, these were geared towards fat burning, but it is interesting to note that the author stated that the ST burns up the sugar in your system first (in the muscle), so when you do your cardio work you are burning primarily fat as a fuel.
    Last edited by Phil-SC; 05-01-2011 at 06:13 AM.

TonyE is offline Member
    What are Systemic enzymes and what do they do?

Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
    Exercise can combat insulin resistance in a lot of cases, and it's really non negotiable for diabetics anyway. That said, I was heavily insulin resistant (long time T1 here) and exercise didn't improve it at all. Systemic enzymes cleared it up very quickly though. Your plan looks great by the way.
    Thanks a lot for your post - and congrats for your successes. This is amazing! I see from your sig that you did LC for a while, and then switched to Primal VLC (and I suppose dairy/fruit/starch free at the same time). Was this a big difference as compared to LC alone? And same qn as tony: what are systemic enzymes?

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've always been very low carb since I started off on Atkins, the only difference is now that I cut the frankenfoods from my diet. I identify with being VLC primal because the way I eat is very low carb compared to a lot of other Groks.

Here's some info. on systemic enzymes Systemic Enzymes: What they do and Why We Need Them!
    Feel free to message me or ask me any more questions on here.

Fiona