Thread: Started 30 day challenge AND CrossFit this morning! page

rocknroll is offline Senior Member

Started 30 day challenge AND CrossFit this morning!

Primal Fuel
    After stalking the website for over a month I finally took the plunge and joined a CrossFit gym. They halved the workout today because I'm a noob, so I ran 1.25 miles and did 75 wall ball shots with a 14lb ball. Time was 22 minutes or so. I haven't worked out in quite a while, and all the wall shots made my ass sore. I'm gonna be feeling it tomorrow.

The gym is doing a paleo challenge over the next two months. First week cuts sugar, second week cuts grains, then dairy, then they start the full 30 day challenge with prizes! I decided to be a badass and start the full 30 today.

I would say something like "tell me your experience with CrossFit" but so far I haven't found anyone that didn't love it. Hopefully I'll have some good before and after pictures as well!
    "Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." - Mark Twain

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Congrats on taking the first step! Sounds like you're off to a good start!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

lexsi340 is offline Senior Member
    Awesome job! And boy, trust me, if I walked into a crossfit right now, my "noob" workout would NOT come close to 1.25 miles, or 75 wall ball shots (more like five..).

Thanks for the bit of inspiration though and keep us updated!

Hey thanks guy, I appreciate the support.

And Al, great blog. I've headed over there a few times but now that I'm taking exercising more seriously I'll have to start reading it more often.
    "Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." - Mark Twain

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknroll View Post
    And Al, great blog. I've headed over there a few times but now that I'm taking exercising more seriously I'll have to start reading it more often.
    Thanks! I've accumulated a lot of posts since starting in '09 - dig in!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

JenCat is offline Senior Member
    My boys and I started XFit on Wednesday. So far, so good. It was really cool to see my boys (10 and 12) do their first front squats and thrusters. I can't wait to see what they are capable of. They loved climbing the rope and pushing the 80-lb. sled out back.

The coach says she is sure I could compete and do well. This was really not something I had considered, but who knows. I came in able to do a few strict pull-ups and have been lifting DBs in my basement for some time. My endurance sucks, though. My first WOD was a half Cindy - 5 pull-ups, 10 push-ups, 15 air squats AMRAP for 10 minutes. I only managed 4 + 9. The push-ups did me in. The 2nd WOD was 5 rounds of 5 Thrusters and 10 calories on the rower (set at 10). Managed a time of 9:4? and was sucking wind. While I was doing that, the boys were doing 10 box jumps, 10 thrusters w/DBs, and sprints for 12 minutes.

It's definitely a challenge. I'm anxious to see what the regular class is like.

JenCat,

I'm glad you like it. I've officially passed a month and I LOVE it. The box is quickly becoming a second home.

It took me no less that four weeks to break through the endurance barrier. Every single workout ended in near-tears and near-hyperventilation. It was worth it through when we did Murph at the end of my first month... and it didn't suck. Now it's me vs. the workouts instead of me vs. my out of shape body.

JenCat is offline Senior Member
    Today kicked my butt. Started off with a mile run - just to warm up. (I HATE running!) Learned some new lifts (very cool!). Work out was 50 burpees for time. I have no idea what my time was. I forgot to ask, but she wrote it all down. My boys only had to do 30, and they busted them out like nothing. After only 15 or so, I started doing them in sets of 5. Well, it can only get better.

A quick follow up on how that month turned out -

The 30 day challenge went great! Except that week I was sick. I caught a stomach flu and lived off a small amount of saltines for about three days. That whole week was a loss because I got off track with eating and rarely got out of bed. But, I got back on my feet and finished out the month strong.
    I've started eating cheese and greek yogurt again, as well as some butter here and there, but the best thing about the challenge was learning that I didn't need dairy. Coconut oil and milk goes a long way. All in all, I lost about 5 additional pounds and probably added some muscle due to CrossFit.

Al, in another thread you suggested I try ring dips (as preparation for some cool pull-up bar workouts). I decided to try a 3x5 set and WOW! Those are hard! I think I did two up and down, then did the rest of it as negatives. Watching Olympians work those rings is a lot more entertaining now that I know how f&*king hard that is. I can't even imagine doing an L-sit on those.

So the plan now is keep eating primal plus a little dairy, and continue going to CrossFit and yoga 5 times a week.