Thread: What is your experience with binge eating before/after PB? page

Stephanie A. is offline Member

What is your experience with binge eating before/after PB?

Shop Now
    I was a binge eater for many (20+) years. I went through psychotherapy and it did not help. While I do believe there is a behavior component, I believe that for me, the physiological component came first. My body clearly cannot handle high-glycemic foods (sugars, starches, and alcohol). When I eat a little, I have a huge insulin response that results in an all-consuming desire to eat. After years of this response, I believe the behavior element was learned.

Since reducing carbs significantly and eliminating all processed foods, most dairy (I have a huge insulin surge from milk or yogurt) and starch, I don't binge anymore. I found this to be true with several years of following the Zone diet... unless I had something like Zone packaged foods -- my body just can't handle it. Now that I have been doing primal and eating all whole foods, I have had zero binges. The behavior rears its head under times of stress and I find myself standing in front of the snack cupboard or in the fridge searching. But I am not hungry and just walk away because the physiological based need to eat is no longer there.

I do find that I can tolerate 1 glass of wine sipped slowly with a meal, but more than that or if I drink it quickly, I have an overwhelming desire to eat. I am sure it is an insulin response to the wine.

I also think this is why Weight Watchers never worked for me... so many carbs, so little fat, I can only imagine the level of insulin in my blood. I binged continuously on Weight Watchers.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    As I aged my cravings for sugary-starchy carbs grew progressively until I was having 1-2 binges a week; so, I eat no carb, meaning the good ones now, except in the presence of protein and/or fat. For me, even a banana or butternut squash can trigger that craving cycle we call a "binge" if I don't have it with protein-fat. Therefore, I can occasionally have a glass of wine with my dinner works for that reason. You have to figure out what you can tolerate.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie A. View Post
    I was a binge eater for many (20+) years. I went through psychotherapy and it did not help. While I do believe there is a behavior component, I believe that for me, the physiological component came first. My body clearly cannot handle high-glycemic foods (sugars, starches, and alcohol). When I eat a little, I have a1) huge insulin response that results in an all-consuming desire to eat. After years of this response, I believe the behavior element was learned.

Since reducing carbs significantly and eliminating all processed foods, most dairy (I have a huge insulin surge from milk or yogurt) and starch, I don't binge anymore. I found this to be true with several years of following the Zone diet... unless I had something like Zone packaged foods -- my body just can't handle it. 2) Now that I have been doing primal and eating all whole foods, I have had zero binges. The behavior rears its head under times of stress and I find myself standing in front of the snack cupboard or in the fridge searching. 3) But I am not hungry and just walk away because the physiological based need to eat is no longer there.
    I do find that I can tolerate 1 glass of wine sipped slowly with a meal, but more than that or if I drink it quickly, I have an overwhelming desire to eat. I am sure it is an insulin response to the wine.

I also think this is why Weight Watchers never worked for me... so many carbs, so little fat, I can only imagine the level of insulin in my blood. I binged continuously on Weight Watchers.
    I've been a binger for a couple of years as well, and I nodd at everything you write! For example:
    1) I remember one day I had been doing really well one day, no binging or bad eating. Then I was facking stupid enough to reward myself with a piece of carby crap, and BOOM - I started a binge.
    2) While I've only been primal for a little less than a month, I have still not had any binges. There was one night with excess 85% dark chocolate, but that was it. And that was at least a week or two ago. JUST before going primal, and had daily binges - sometimes more than just once a day, and now I don't even THINK about or WANT to binge. It's simply amazing and SO freeing!
    3) I also realise that I am in fact not hungry - and very most often respond to it (by not eating). Sometimes I'm low on energy (may still be carb flu, idk) but I usually grap nuts, a little avocado or shredded coconut.

Another thing I've noticed is how I get tired of eating. Previously, I'd shovel food (greens) down my throat to the point where my tummy was very protruding - stuffing myself, because I didn't feel satisfaction after having eating. All protein and greens, no fat. Another thing is that I was constantly hungry for "something". Those days are practically over! I still have days where I feel like I could eat a horse (but then again, I have four of them, so problem could be quickly solved, lol).

Have you read Evolutionary Psychiatry? She has some posts about EDs and carbs.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    I have struggled with binging, binging and purging, and the dreaded starve and binge cycle. Primal has tremendously helped with this, and I haven't purged in years. I am learning more and more as I go, from each binge. What triggered it, what I can do to stop it in its tracks, what I can do to avoid it in the future.

So far, it seems that meal planning is very important for me. If I am without a plan, I'm doomed to binge. Also, I have been very successful lately with eating healthy the very next meal, rather than letting my binge spiral out of control. I'm an emotional binger, so that is a constant battle too.

IF'ing has been the biggest help though. I never feel the urge to binge and listen to my body much more carefully when I'm fasting, or breaking a fast.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon