Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vinegar Warning??? page

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

Lead in red wine vinegars could hurt kids

Jane Kay, Environmental Health News

Monday, November 9, 2009

""Balsamic and other red wine vinegars often contain lead, a potent neurotoxin, and could pose a risk to children who consume it regularly, according to a new analysis by Environmental Health News...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/11/09/BA4C1AEJKK.DTL

I don't exactly know what to make of this tidbit of bad news....thoughts, anybody?

maba is offline Senior Member

Kuno, I read somewhere that the balsamic vinegar available in stores now is no where close to the original balsamic vinegar made in Modena, Italy. The counterfeit ones are loaded with sugar and caramel. And it doesn't surprise me that the commercial varieties may have lead in them.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

It's not like I use much Balsamic; it really tastes too sweet for me since PB. But I am worried that the article also mentions red wine vinegar, as I HAVE been using a lot of that. But I'm not a child, so....

This is right up there with finding out my wonderful Pakistani Kajhal eyeliner was 20% lead :-(

Kajal used to be made at home traditionally. Let me see if I can find a recipe. Or I can get it for you from India when I visit next

Oh, and Geoff suggested making wine vinegar at home and that's what I did with some left-over wine - added a bit of Bragg's ACV and it's sitting in a corner in my house.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Maba:

1. UMMMM can I get some stuff from India? My friend went a couple years ago and I got those jingley ankle bracelets (they made fun of me b/c nobody actually wears them... whatever). But I could go for more... lol.

2. How long does this red wine vinegar take to make?

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Interesting Kuno, thanks for posting that

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Tara, I will get the stuff you want provided you cook me a duck Hahaha, I know what you're talking about. I had those anklets as a kid but refused to wear them because I thought they were so old-fashioned.

I'm not sure how long it takes to make the vinegar - I made it w/ white wine btw - but I keep sniffing it every now and then to see if it smells vinegary enough, I think it might be there already. It's been about 3 weeks since I made it.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

DEAL. Where are you located? I think a primal girls night would be so fun. I met Hannah the other day and she's such a sweetie. Anyhow, yeah, they said only kids wore the anklets. Hehe. I still wear mine in the summer though, you can always hear me coming!

I think I might try some red wine vinegar soon, we shall see what happens.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Let's keep this in perspective. How many kids do you know that consume ANY of these vinegars?

It's obvious everything is lethal in some way or some quantity. That's life. That's the way the world is. This fact can control you, or you can control it.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Maba, the report actually says that the expensive ($100 per bottle etc) versions have more lead than the cheap versions!

I cook with balsamic a bit, but I agree with OTB, 2 tbsp per day, what kid could possibly be ingesting that!?

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast