Thread: Primal Baby page

Kristen Guest

I was just introduced to the PB after I gave birth and now, 5 months later (and 20 lbs lighter than BEFORE I got pregnant!!), I'm starting to think about introducing solids into my son's diet. I obiviously want him to be healthy, PB style, but are there other considerations I need to be aware of if not going CW's way of feeding babies?

maba is offline Senior Member

Kristen, Nina Planck's "Real Food for Mother and Baby" is a good book. It's based on the WAPF principles and if you omit the grains - which she doesn't recommend until after the baby is a year old - it's almost Primal.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

I'm not a mum, but I have heard of something called "baby led weaning" which intrigues me - the idea being you don't mush stuff up for them, but give them a nice big stick of carrot (for example) and they teach themselves to chew and not to choke (after a few gags / dramatic scenes).

The chewing then apparently helps develop the jaw muscles for speaking etc.

Just a thought

amandamarie is offline Junior Member

My son recently turned one, and I have been feeding him primal foods since we began solids at 6 months. His first food was avocado, and then pureed vegetables, fruit, and meat. Most people (our pediatrician included) found it odd that we didn't give him baby cereal, but I think he is the better for it. I do try to work in a lot of different fats daily, like heavy cream, coconut oil, and nuts. He is happy and healthy!

Tarlach is offline Member

We just gave our kids strips of steak at 5-6 months. They had no problems eating meat (with no teeth)

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Kristen Guest

Maba, Thanks for that! I'll be checking that out on my next visit to the bookstore. Everyone thinks I'm crazy (especially my family!) when I tell them I don't want him to eat baby cereal, granola bars, and other "normal" baby geared carb foods. Amandamarie, one of my primal friends mentioned being aware of getting the proper fats for my son, do you have any further insights? Tarlach, what kind of cut was it? and how small were the pieces?

Tarlach is offline Member

We usually have t-bones when we have steak. We used to just cut off a strip and give it to them (maybe 3'x1&#39. A big enough piece to be able to hold and get in their mouth.

They also had mince, or slices of roast pork, etc (whatever we were having).

We just made sure we watched them closely in case they tried to swallow a bit that was too big. It was extremely rare for them to do that though.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Kristen I did child led weaning with both of my babies. Pretty much it's waiting till they are actually ready to eat, rather than forcing pureed food into them. Babies are ready to eat when they can:

1. sit up unassisted

2. use pincer grasp

3. the tongue thrust reflex is gone

Most kids aren't really ready for food at 6 mo, though some are.

My boys started with fingers of sweet potato, chunks of avacado, butternut squash, shredded chicken, beef etc. they pretty much just ate what we eat, minus spicy seasonings.

You're baby doesn't need to be spoon fed. Letting your little one fed himself will not only help his hand eye coordination, it will help him stop when he's full, and he will use utensils with greater ease once you introduce them. I wasn't hard core about this aspect, I often spoon fed things like soup and yogurt, but allowed them to self feed at all other times.

Try it out, you'll be amazed at the capabilities of your child.

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Kristen Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Thanks for your help. It defenitly gives me some perspective (is saying food for thought too cheesy? - oh! I did it again!! lol) to hear from other primal parents, and knowing I'm not the only one out there who chooses to have primal kids (not crazy, afterall!). It will be interesting to see how they develop differently than regular kids. And thanks, earthmomm, i will defenitly be checking into that led weaning method.