Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tomatoes page

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Might seem like a strange question, but does anybody know anything about the inflammatory properties of tomatoes and other members of the nightshade family?

Potatoes are a member (and I don't eat them) but I was wondering if anyone knew if tomatoes could also be a problem? Given that I've been suffering from sciatica (unknown cause as yet) which results in inflammation, I was wondering what info there was available. Apparently arthritis can be exacerbated by them...

Anyway, if anyone has any comments/opinions, do let me know!

62shelby Guest

Have you had a look at MSM? Its in some glucosamine supps, but taken alone in bigger doses it can work wonders. Google it and see what you think. I get a sciatic/pyriformis thing going on sometimes and I take it for a while and it goes away.

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

Thanks shelby. I'll take a look.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

I take MSM too, its supposed to help with joints and allergies. I use it more for the allergies part though. Do yourself a favor... get the pills. I bought the powder b/c it was a better value and it is NASTY!!! But I am stubborn so I take it anyway.

This coming from someone who LIKES seaweed, anchovies, natto, DARK chocolate and everything else people dont usually like. I can even take my liquid fish oil. Just FYI.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

http://www.fitnessspotlight.com/2008/01/06/nightshades/

for a personal opinion / take on the matter. I've no idea if any objective studies have been done?

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

I thought tomatoes were a fruit?

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I&#39;m sure SS - or is it Tarlach? - will chime in here. One or both are rapidly anti-solana (tomatoes, peppers, potatoes.) Indeed, a few people have sensitivity to something in them.

Most of us? Not at all.

Yes, MSM is NASTY in powder. But if you are PB, I realized, you don&#39;t need it. MSM is a dietary source of sulfur, which is needed for collagen, IIRC.

Sulfur is very much in abundant in MEAT. Probably not so much for the diets rich in hearthealthylowfatwholegrains.

62shelby Guest

From an ATHLETE&#39;S perspective, I have found it extremely useful, regardless of my meat intake, which is high. MSM occurs in natural whole foods, fruit, veggies, meat etc, but with soil depletion is further lacking in our diet, just like magnesium and other minerals in some farmed areas.

Nutrient absorption varies from person to person, so you cannot possibly speculate about what someone elses needs are. MSM works for myself and for my PB medal winning track sprinting masters athlete husband.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

"I believe in belief......"

Not saying you don&#39;t benefit, but unless you&#39;ve gone a month or two without, and then back on, repeated, it&#39;s hard to say. And even then, it&#39;s subjective.

62shelby Guest

and to you dear chap, "tedium ad nauseum".

lol, I dont know why you insist on weighing in on issues you know NOTHING about, and ZERO experience of, but thats your prerogative, just like its mine to have a freakin opinion, and share what I know works . I have indeed gone on and off MSM and only use it when the problem reappears, and then it exits upon supplementation.

I have recommended it to about half a dozen people now, all whom benefited almost immediately, without any other changes to routine etc, bar one, and he had irritation from the sulfur and is celiac. All were meat eatin&#39; athletes. One guy couldnt even ride his bike anymore, took MSM and can ride again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast