Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Primal blueprint as asceticism? page 3

groquette is offline Senior Member

Shop Now
    [quote]

I think that there is a HUGE link between asceticism and being a better person.
    </blockquote>

Better person, huh? I find that qualifier to be incredibly difficult to pin down.
    [quote]

I think when you stop focusing on physical pleasures you will actually have time to think about your life and how it is going.</blockquote>

Au contraire, I believe that when I slow down and enjoy life&#39;s pleasures I actually have time to remember who I am, how it is going, and what I want to do with the rest of my life.
    [quote]

Once your mind is not clouded by worldly desires, you can really start understanding who you are and what you want to do with the rest of your life.
    </blockquote>

I think that maybe our lives are so completely different that I just don&#39;t understand your point of view &mdash; which is fair enough. I think that if asceticism helps you feel better about who you are, then go for it.

I, however, will abstain.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

I feel much better now that I&#39;m not longer tempted by cheese, coffee, and believe it or not, nuts. I gave them all up!

¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
    ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

bobbylight Guest

Nuts are good for you! Get them back in your diet.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Last time I ate nuts (hazelnuts), they were possibly rancid and made me kind of sick. I got an itchy mouth/lips and a really bad headache. After that, I&#39;m done with them. Not worth all the anti-nutrients and crap! I&#39;ll have them once in a while, sure, but I&#39;ll spend my money else where.

¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
    ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

TaydaTot is offline Junior Member

I don&#39;t think aestheticism is bullshit. Self discipline and delaying gratification is HARD. I think the biggest problem with mindless indulgence is that it is mindless. But if you behave contrary to your urges and impulses you learn a lot about yourself - often indirectly.

"Once your mind is not clouded by worldly desires, you can really start understanding who you are and what you want to do with the rest of your life".

This isn&#39;t bullshit regardless of how dismissive groquette is of it.

When something is ubiquitous it can be almost impossible to understand your relationship with it; like fish in water. But if you separate yourself from it you can often learn more about it through it&#39;s absence.

I am an undergrad and during a summer class this year called Media Addiction we abstained from media for one week - no TV, movies, recorded music, radio, printed material, internet, or video games. Of course I thought this was bullshit and I would just be annoyed for one week without learning anything because I don&#39;t even watch TV or play video games so of course I think I&#39;m somehow more special than everyone else and all that bullshit. But I learned more about both myself and the media in that week then I think I have in years.

Anyways, you learn a lot about yourself and world through deprivation. And it doesn&#39;t have to be self-flagellation or celibacy or that bullshit that people are equating with asceticism. Just stuff to make you question your current behaviors and relationships with the world.

Anyway, heres a video of cute kids self-disciplining themselves.

7 min - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0yhHKWUa0g

Shameless media-ecology plug: Check out Neil Postman&#39;s "Amusing ourselves to Death".

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Great point, TT!!!

We should engage in activities because they are pleasurable AND valuable to us. Not strictly because of habit.

Appreciate!

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

[quote]

For second breakfast I eat 4 eggs fried in ghee, with onions, peppers, and sometimes tomatoes</blockquote>

What about elevensies? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper?

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

TaydaTot is offline Junior Member

I just want to add that I actually interpret Shine&#39;s example about sugar as supportive to the ascetic "ideal" (ideal isn&#39;t a good description but I cant think of better). I think considering its effects beyond the initial taste/convenience/accessibility benefits is pretty much a perfect example of taking a behavior and being conscious of more than just the immediate effects or pleasures obtained from it. And it&#39;s not like we are "depriving" ourselves, just being critical and applying foresight and perspective.

And bobbylight, I don&#39;t eat nuts either. They make me feel sick. I think it&#39;s the natural toxins or something.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

I think the main issue is whether aestheticism leads to increased personal happiness or not. I find hedonism completely compatible with my pursuit and achievement of personal happiness.

Could aestheticism help me be happy? Maybe. But I don&#39;t see how.

Perpetual hedonism would appear to be impossible, so the windows of time lacking mindless indulgence (which btw can perfectly be pleasurable intellectually), if used properly, could perfectly allow us to stay on track and ensure a constant flow of happiness.

It&#39;s all about knowing what males us happy and pursing it the best way possible. If we don&#39;t know what makes us happy, moving out of our comfort zone could help. But doing that would be aligned with ensuring future bursts of mindless indulgence, so you could see it as one step back for two steps forward.

Some see people who "choose the hard way of life", deprive themselves from pleasure as a route to enlightenment, or sacrifice their lives for the happiness of others as "better people".

I don&#39;t think that&#39;s necessarily true.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

bobbylight Guest

PrimalCon New York

Primal child, I eat 4 meals a day. I never know what to call them. Sometimes I say that I have two dinners. Sometimes it is two breakfasts. That meal just seems like second breakfast because eggs are considered breakfast food.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast