Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sea Salt page

Lee Miller Guest

Primal Fuel

Anybody try upping the amount of sea salt in their diet to change things up. I have been eating mostly salads, vegetables, and grass fed meats for a couple months now. Problem is, still feel like something is missing...and the one thing i can think of is that I have not been getting enough sodium/unrefined sea salt.

cool site about water and salt intake

http://www.watercure2.org/

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

You get WAY more sodium than you need. Guarenteed. There is no magic bullet in salt, regardless of the source.

Most natural foods are much higher in potassium. There is evidence trickling in that the SAD Na/Ka ratios are so far off that they impact our health.

For that reason I do spritz a lot of my food with salt substitute, potassium chloride. Not so much for the saltiness, but to keep that ratio better.

Lee Miller Guest

Thank you for your advice. I understand what youre saying, but as I stated I am not eating SAD. SO I take it, you are completely against adding sea salt into the diet.

I guess I am a little confused since there are many sites on the internet about benefits of sea salt and its trace minerals. Oh well, One mans food can be anothers mans poison I guess like they say.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

Lee Miller I wish more people understood that last point you made...

So the best experiment is personal trial, and if you do try it, aim for one from New Zealand, Celtic, or French. As we all know, much of our world is polluted, but many of these waters, especially New Zealand, seem to have some pretty clean water still.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Lee Miller Guest

Yup, I have to admit that sometimes I get great "tunnel vision" and sometimes feel that my way is the only way to eat ( kinda ironic since it doesnt always work even for me)

I think people get brainwashed and stay up hours on end browsing the internet looking for "evidence" for how they should eat. Beleive me I've done it myself. I think that people are scared to go off own their own and try things that are the exact opposite of what there brilliant doctor or internet guru says. I like to think I know how to listen to my body and interpret what it says.

Anyways, I have some himalayan sea salt here. gonna give it a try and see what happens.

Adding salt to food is "recent" in human time frames. You don't need it, period. Other than flavor enhancement, it does nothing for your body.

The praises for sea salt are from scientific morons, to be blunt. It is 99.5% sodium chloride. (I don't remember the exact number, but it's on that order.) Whatever other minerals are in it, you can get from eating a piece of fruit, or a salad, or meat.

Salt is not a nutrient and sea salt is just something to believe in.

bobbylight Guest

OTB, it is true that adding salt to food is relatively new to the human race. But, if you are a serious athlete or even if you work out a lot you are sweating out a lot of salt when you are training. And to be honest, this amount of sweating is actually reasonably new too. Think about grok just walking around, not doing much work that would make him sweat. Sometimes he would go hunt and maybe do some other things that would be a good workout, but most of it would probably just be leisure walking. Anyway, marathon runners supplement salt when they are running. Basically if you are sweating more than cavemen, you are going to have to eat more salt than cavemen.

Tarlach is offline Member

So walking around outside in Africa (and strenuously hunting for all of your meals) will make you sweat less than sitting around in an air-conditioned building in North America and going for a run every now and then?

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

How did Grok do it? I mean hunting mastodons w/o salt tablets? <grin>

I&#39;m familiar with the advent of Gatorade, I was at UF back then. Of course, I wasn&#39;t privy to the development, just all the talk about what started out as the secret weapon of the football team.

Since Gatorade and similar mostly just replaces electrolytes that one sweats and pisses out, it&#39;s surprising it took so long to "discover."

I don&#39;t pretend to have the answers here. Note that GA has a lot of potassium chloride (I think it&#39;s the chloride) in it. There is none in sea salt.

Here&#39;s a theory I just came up with: maybe the modern diet with so much sodium puts the body into a "gotta ditch this stuff as I&#39;m sweating" to keep minerals in balance in the body. Eh?

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member

David Brownstein has a book out called Salt Your Way to Health:

This book will show you why salt is the most mistunderstood nutrient. See how adding the right kind of salt to your diet can help:

Fatigue

Adrenal Disorders

Immune System Function

Thyroid Disorders

Headaches

Cholesterol Levels

Blood Pressure

For years, we have heard the following: A low-salt diet is healthy. There is no difference between table salt and sea salt. Low-salt products are better for you. These are the myths of salt. Dr. Brownstein will present the research on salt that will change the way you look at this vital substance.

All of these comments are believed to be true, both by physicians and lay people. Dr. Brownstein will show you what are the myths of salt and why adding the correct form of salt to your diet can markedly improve your health. Salt Your Way to Health will challenge each of the above statements and give you a healthier alternative to regular table salt.

This book will show you:

The Difference Between Unrefined and Refined Salt

The Toxicity of Refined Salt

The Mineral Content in Unrefined Salt < Low-Salt of Fallacy>

The Relationship Between Salt Deficiency and Hormonal Imbalances

http://www.drbrownstein.com/bookstore_Salt.php

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast