Thread: Looking to get some advice on this before school early morning workout page

digimattd Guest

Shop Now

So instead of hitting the gym M, W, F this week and Tabata sprints T, Th, I wanted to try an early morning cicuit consisting of sprints, squats, jumping jacks, pushups, etc. I have to be showered and out the door by 7:30 AM so I was wondering what would be the best combination of these for maximum workout and if/what I should eat before or after. Before sprints I usually have like half a banana or english muffin, wait fifteen to twenty minutes then sprint and have a breakfast consisting of (usually) the other half of the banana/english muffin, scrambled egg beaters and canadian bacon, somedays accompanied by hot chocolate (using just milk and cocoa) and some fruit directly after. So yeah, I'm looking for advice on reps, time to do them and when/what to do about breakfast!

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Omg, I'm in the same exact situation and have the same work out schedule as you haha.

No English muffin though....

I too have been wondering whether to eat breakfast before or after.

I've been eating it before for a month already, and fasted for 5 hours post work out, and I'm still building muscle.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

fotakou is offline Junior Member

I think that getting enough water pre morning workout especially in non strength training days is more important than a snack.....After all the idea of doing burpees or sprinting with food in my system seems like a bad idea.....It will go out during the workout :P

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

@digimattd, where does an english muffin come into play with a primal diet? Whenever I feel like doing a HIIT workout before class, I&#39;ll usually eat a little fat/protein before bed (a scrambled egg in coconut oil, some chicken and nuts, vegetable fried in butter, etc.) then wake up with some water/coffee/tea and get moving. A misconception is that you need to eat before performing sprints/HIIT for an increase in performance, but sometimes the contrary is true. Never eat before a workout if you aren&#39;t hungry. In terms of eating afterward, I would also wait until you&#39;re hungry. Don&#39;t be concerned about eating at a certain time or eating carbs at all. This is a misconception. Eat primally, when you&#39;re hungry. Simple.

Seriously though, why english muffins?

digimattd Guest

Well I won&#39;t lie to you, I&#39;m not a "primal" teen. At least, not as primal as you guys. I do eat as many meats and vegetables as I can, subbing cauliflower and carrot mashes for potatos and even (usually) foregoing all breads, but some mornings, nothing spells breakfast like an english muffin with some preserves or peanut butter to me. I know it&#39;s carby, but as far as english muffins go it&#39;s pretty dang good (15g net carbs a pop vs some other&#39;s I&#39;ve seen is good comparably) and since as a teen I can&#39;t truly get away from everything and as a person I truly don&#39;t think I want to, I just let myself enjoy it every other week or so. The reason I have them on sprint days is just for the upped carbs to work with during exercise and to replace glyco afterward. I guess I&#39;d like to consider myself healthy rather than primal, but I do like the idea&#39;s and advice I get from MDA