Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - onalark page 5

onalark is offline Senior Member

5/29

Primal Fuel
    Oh, weight. Why won't you go down?

Eh. I'm not too worried. Still feel great. And my family all commented on my weight loss...so I'm doing something right.

Speaking of doing something right: smoking my first brisket on the grill! The guy is hovering, asking questions, clearly wanting to make sure we get this right. I'm not quite as worried. It's my first time out so I expect to make mistakes. Looking forward to smoking bacon next week, and maybe also some ribs!

Food
    • Breakfast - Sweet potato "hash" (diced sweet potatoes and onions) with GF ground beef, mushrooms, and one egg. 12 oz coffee with cream.
    • Lunch - Grilled minute steaks with tomatoes (we had coals left over from smoking).
    • Snack - 1/3 apple and 1/2 Tbsp almond butter, 1 HB egg
    • Dinner - Brisket and primal sweet-n-sour slaw. 10g dark chocolate.

Exercise
    Should really do some of that.

Supplements
    Vitamin D3 and Fish Oil with breakfast.
    Continuing magnesium in the evening. I am consistently getting sleep at 9 PM now. Weird.
    Last edited by onalark; 05-29-2011 at 08:26 PM.

5/30

Back to work tomorrow. Had an excellenty relaxing day. Got most of my chores done. Wrapping it all up now.

Food
    • Breakfast - Eggs with brisket, hatch chiles, peppers, and onions. 12 oz coffee with cream.
    • Lunch - ...
    • Dinner - Carne asada on lettuce leaves. Homemade guac. Lots of crudites. Chocolate-almond-coconut thingies. 4 oz wine. Insides of a fruit tamale.

Exercise
    • 2 x 10 reps squats @ 20 lbs
    • 2 x 10 reps walking lunges @ 10 lbs
    • 2 x 10 reps push press @ 20 lbs
    • 2 x 10 modified pushups
    • 2 x 10 reps dumb-bell row @ 20 lbs
    • 2 x 10 reps skullcrushers @ 20 lbs

Supplements
    Fish oil and D3.
    Magnesium in the evening.
    30 minutes sunbathing.

5/31

I have a love-hate relationship with my knees. Thank god I found fitness that doesn't require running, or I'd be in a very special hell right now.

CSA today, which means probably a CSA salad tonight!

Food
    • Breakfast - Machaca! (Brisket, eggs, chiles, onions, peppers.) 12 oz coffee with cream.
    • Lunch - Gyro salad - romaine, red onion, peppers, tomatoes, beets, bacon, balsamic + oil, and six heavenly slices of gyro meat.
    • Dinner - Brisket and salad. Handful of strawberries and about 10g dark chocolate.

Exercise
    Day off.

Supplements
    D3 and fish oil in the mornings.
    Extra fish oil in the evening.
    Cut magnesium to 1 tsp due to stuff.
    Last edited by onalark; 06-01-2011 at 10:22 AM.

6/1

I'm sick and tired of friends who are sick and tired. I want to tell them to try dropping the grains, and I know what the answer will be: "Oh, but I can't give up bread."

Not even for a month? Or two weeks? What if it completely cleared up your diabetes? What if you lost weight without being hungry for the first time in your life? What if if if if if....

Sigh.

Food
    [LIST][*]Breakfast - Eggs with brisket, onions, peppers, and mushrooms. Coconut oil to cook. 16 oz coffee with cream.[*]Lunch - Beef satay and some sort of chicken-basil-onion thingie that was way too salty. Nicked one of my coworkers' salads for extra veggies; don't tell me what's in the dressing, I don't want to know. Lots of water![*]Dinner - Thai red curry beef soup (it was awesome), 10 oz dark chocolate, 5 strawberries.

Exercise
    Crapped out on exercise this morning as I had to prep dinner and breakfast simultaneously. May try to make it up this evening.

• 1 x 20 reps kettlebells @ 35 lb
    • 1 x 20 squats @ 20 lbs
    • 1 x 20 walking lunges @ 10 lbs
    • 1 x 10 modified pushups
    • 1 x 10 overhead row @ 20 lbs
    • 1 x 10 row @ 20 lb
    • 1 x 10 push press @ 20 lb

Supplements
    Fish oil and vitamin D3 as normal.
    1 tsp ionized magnesium in the evening.
    Last edited by onalark; 06-02-2011 at 01:31 PM.

Weight is up, inches are down. Hmmmm.

Resisted (easily) pizza at today's book club. Two months ago, unpossible! Even as a vegan, I would have snuck a few bites, maybe peeled off the cheese first. I still love pizza crusts soooo dang much, but I wasn't tempted, and that's awesome.

Food
    • Breakfast - Eggs with the last of the brisket, onions, peppers. 12 oz coffee with cream.
    • Lunch - Leftover Thai red curry beef soup.
    • Dinner - Kalua pork with cabbage and Thai beef salad. Man, I am all about the Thai, ain't I?

Exercise
    Day off.

Supplements
    Started 200mcg of Selenium to help with the thyroid T4/T3 conversion.
    Fish oil and D3 as normal.
    Magnesium in the evenings. Switching to 1 tsp has resolved my GI issues.
    Last edited by onalark; 06-02-2011 at 09:35 PM.

Aaaand weight is down again.

Food
    • Breakfast - Eggs and brisket with zucchini, onions, green onions, and avocado. 12 oz coffee with cream.
    • Lunch - Habit burger wrapped in lettuce; no mayo, no cheese. Side salad with balsamic; no croutons, no sprouts.
    • Snack - 5 almonds.
    • Dinner - Tuna on the grill, green beans and onions sauteed in bacon drippings with added bacon!, BAS with honey-cider dressing and assorted other stuff. Shot of scotch with soda.

Exercise
    • 2 x 20 reps kettlebells @ 35 lb
    • 2 x 10 reps walking lunges @ 10 lb
    • 2 x 10 reps squats @ 10 lb
    • 2 x 10 reps push press @ 20 lb
    • 2 x 10 reps row @ 20 lb
    • 2 x 10 body rows
    • 2 x 10 modified pushups

Supplements
    Fish oil and D3.
    Magnesium in the evening.
    Selenium at 200mcg.
    Last edited by onalark; 06-03-2011 at 09:25 PM.

6/4

I feel like I have nothing to do. Let's keep it that way.

Still in search of a great paleo pancakes recipe. Made these, and they had good flavor/texture, but were way too delicate. Closing in on a solution. I can feel it.

Food
    • Breakfast - 5 paleo pancakes, syrup, butter, 3 strawberries. 2 strips bacon. 12 oz coffee with light coconut milk. 12 oz tea with light coconut milk.
    • Lunch - Last of the brisket, 1 apple
    • Snack - 1/2 Quest bar (it was gross) and a small teaspoon of almond butter (to rinse out the flavor of the Quest bar).
    • Dinner - GF pizza with sausage and mushroom, 1 scoop chocolate-toffee-pecan ice cream.

Exercise
    3.5 mile walk on the beach.

Supplements
    Fish oil, D3, and Selenium as per usual.
    Magnesium before bed.
    Last edited by onalark; 06-05-2011 at 10:08 AM.

6/5

I was sleep walking last night, which is not a great sign. But it was also a fairly benign sleep walking experience -- I woke up, I walked around, I went back to bed. No panicky running around. Hm.

Even the "smart" cheats are killing my weight loss, and that makes me sad. Just being GF isn't enough. That also makes me sad. My birthday is coming, and I don't want to eat cake, and everyone is going to insist I do. This would make me sad, but it's my choice, and they can bugger off if they don't like it.

Not terribly impressed by The Paleo Cookbook. It reads like it was written by a doctor (and it was). The recipes are elementary and there are only a couple that I would say piqued my interest. At least the formatting was good! It's the kind of cookbook I'd probably recommend to my mom; traditional flavors, no crazy surprises.

That said, I am looking forward to Everyday Paleo, which is coming to a mailbox near me!

Food
    • Breakfast - 2 eggs with zuchinni and onions, 1 breakfast sausage, 1/4 avocado, 1/2 navel orange. Lipid of choice: bacon drippings. 9 oz coffee with coconut milk.
    • Lunch - Steak stirfry with ginger, garlic, broccoli, and green beans.
    • Dinner - Smoked ribs, red cabbage slaw, and steamed artichoke with butter. 5 oz red wine. 10g dark chocolate for dessert.

Exercise
    Day off.

Supplements
    D3, fish oil, selenium as usual.
    Magnesium before bed.

(I switched my Levothyroxin to the mornings recently so that I can take the magnesium closer to bedtime without worrying about it affecting my synthroid absorption.)
    Last edited by onalark; 06-06-2011 at 09:34 AM.

Body weight's up, but lean mass took a noticeable uptick according to the scale.

I've been gradually waking myself up earlier and earlier to get ready for the 5:20 am mornings I'll be facing when I start Crossfit. I'm a little bleary, but coping well. I think.

Food
    • Breakfast - 2 eggs, sausage, zuchinni, onions, cooked in bacon fat and 1/4 avocado. 12 oz coffee with light coconut milk.
    • Lunch - Ahi tuna salad. Did not notice until too late that the cafeteria added ranch dressing and chickpeas. Picked my way around the chickpeas, but had to live with the dressing. Oh well. At least it wasn't loaded with sugar, right?
    • Snack - 5 marcona almonds.
    • Dinner - 1/2 lb GF ground beef (w/avocado, pickles, mustard, ketchup), chard with homemade bacon, salad with avocado, tomato, egg and homemade primal Russian dressing! 10g 72% cacao dark chocolate.

Exercise
    • 1 x 10 reps modified pushups
    • 1 x 10 reps plank pushups <--- awesome!!!
    • 2 x 20 double crunches
    • 2 x 10 push press @ 20 lbs
    • 2 x 10 rows @ 20 lbs
    • 2 x 10 squats @ 10 lbs
    • 2 x 10 walking lunges @ 10 lbs
    • 2 x 20 kettlebell swings @ 35 lbs

Supplements
    D3, fish oil, and selenium as usual.
    Magnesium in the evenings.
    Last edited by onalark; 06-06-2011 at 09:26 PM.

6/7

Deep thoughts in the morning: for years I cut out fat from my diet, trusting that fiber would fill me up. It didn't, so I cut out grains and added the fat back, and voila. I don't starve anymore. :P

Another sleepwalking incident. Tinycat came in and curled up near my knees, which caused me to wake up. Again, it wasn't panicked, I just woke, got out of bed, and then went back to bed. Cat was very confused.

Food
    • Breakfast - 2 eggs, sausage, zuchinni, onions, bacon drippings to cook in. 1/4 avocado. 12 oz coffee with light coconut milk.
    • Lunch - Packed homemade chicken soup, extra (smoked) chicken, and some broccoli to steam. Will throw some primal Russian dressing on the broccoli.
    • Snack - Apple
    • Dinner - Lamb chops, yams with butter and salt, cucumber-tomato salad.

Postscript: felt awful after lunch, went home. Tried to nap and couldn't. Ate dinner, felt way better, went to movie. Hm.

Exercise
    Day off.

Supplements
    Fish oil, D3, and Selenium as usual.
    Magnesium before bed.
    Last edited by onalark; 06-07-2011 at 10:41 PM.

Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast