Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31394041

Thread: Primal Journal - onalark page 41

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I agree with badgergirl, at least in that you should probably give your body some time to heal with just the lovely powers of good nutrition. Babies have been on my mind lately, and apparently Boyfriend is game for babies when it's financially logical, so I've been thinking about "what I would do" quite a bit. Of course, I'm sure it's very different when you're ACTUALLY pregnant and reading stuff and have a doctor and whatnot.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Long time no post. How's everyone doing? Here's some of what's been going on with me.

I had mah baby. Well. That was fun. Basically, after a more-or-less ideal pregnancy, my blood pressure went up in the last week and I was diagnosed with preeclampsia after peeing into a lot of containers. This after being told by birth counselors that so long as I ate plenty of protein, this wouldn't happen. As someone who never had a meat aversion during pregnancy, and who eats plenty of meat, I am finding the whole "a protein-rich diet prevents preeclampsia" claim pretty spurious...but hey, n=1.

After getting the preeclampsia diagnosis (which happened 3 hours after my baby shower ended -- timing!), I was sent to the hospital by my midwife and my ObGyn doc tried to induce me, as this is the "cure" for preeclampsia. My ObGyn -- who is otherwise awesome -- also put me on a really terrible drug called magnesium sulfate (or "the Mag" as the nurses kept calling it). The implication was that it would lower my blood pressure, but that isn't what it does; all it does is prevent seizures, I later found. He also warned me that it might give me flu-like symptoms, AND OH YES IT DID. Everything that went into my mouth got puked right back up. Food, water, ice chips, anything. While pregnant. And going into labor. So yeah. THAT SUCKED.

I had a c-section. I did not want a c-section. I did not intend to do a c-section. The husband and I fought the c-section, especially when it seemed I was going into labor all on my own. But then my oxygen levels tanked, and the baby's heartrate tanked, and by that point I was so full of wires and tubes and drugs that I wasn't particularly coherent (at one point they were trying to give me oxygen via a mask; I kept trying to claw it off). And I was in labor. And so, after sending the gaggle of doctors and nurses out of the room, my husband and I talked, and we decided I'd gone as far as I could without endangering the nubbin. We agreed to the surgery. I was whisked to an OR, and at 8:50 AM on April 7th, my daughter was born.

Four hours at a birth center? Nope. More like four days in a hospital. Nubbin wound up in the NICU for the same amount of time. And here is the point where I really get twitchy, because the more I think about it the more I think it was a CYA situation and wholly unnecessary. Someone, somewhere, got it in their head that I had had a blood infection. I didn't. But the pediatricians thought I had, and that caused them to be extra-careful with the nubbin. So they cultured onalarklette's blood, and the culture took three days...during which she stayed in the NICU the whole time I was recovering from surgery. Oh, and that first day? They wouldn't let me see her. Because I was still on "the Mag". And oh, that was not good.

But....

But we lived.

And we went home.

And I love her more than anything.

And right now she is thrashing in her sleep and I should really go up there and nurse her. Aside from that sudden adventure that none of us had in mind, we're doing good. I've had difficulties breastfeeding -- no advice requested, I have tried literally everything and I'm tired of being told I'm doin' it wrong when I've done everything I can to do it right -- and so I supplement with The Evil Formula -- and no recommending the WAPF formula, either, thanks; I've weighed options and made my choices.

She still gets a fair amount of breast milk from me, and in a week she'll be 5 months. 5 months! That's one month away from her first sweet potato smeared with coconut oil! I have already tried egg yolks. She stares at me as if each spoonful is a personal betrayal. I don't think even a half teaspoon has made it down her gullet.

Oh, and last month we decided to move.

And I'm sort of eating more of a traditional foods diet than primaleo these days.

Will explain in my next post. Need to go rescue the husband from the baby.
    Last edited by onalark; 09-02-2013 at 12:32 AM.

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Woo! Yay! It's all good. You lived. Nublet lived (preeclampsia is not something to mess with). And now you're all happy and healthy. WONDERFUL! It's wonderful
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard! 3D printed miniatures for sci-fi RPGs.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Oh, wow, Onalark. Congratulations and the warmest welcome to your little one. No one can ever prepare you for the initiation to motherhood, but here you are!! Wishing you (and husband and little one) all the very very very best x

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations and so glad to hear you are all doing well I have wondered how you guys are doing.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey everyone! Thanks. We're doing great. Very happy. Glad to see there are still a few out there who remember me. ^_^

Okay, where was I? Right. Had baby! Took two and a half months off work to adjust to baby and heal up post-surgery. I healed really, really fast! And the onalarklette has hit all her milestones with grace and aplomb; she's a very good baby! Formula did not cause her to sprout horns and wings. I'd say on days I'm not working, she's half-formula, half-breast milk. Not ideal, but not bad. And it gives her dad a chance to bond with her as he's the one who gives her bottles. I'm not super thrilled by bottles, but I like to see the silver lining. And that is definitely one of them.

Prior to the delivery, I'd been eating higher carb. Not as high-carb as your typical pregnant lady, but higher carb than a primaleo eater. Potatoes at lunch, some white rice (usually boiled and organic to try and minimize any arsenic in there) here and there. I also stayed mostly GF, though unlike a lot of people who eat primaleo, I don't get any particularly strong physical reactions to gluten in my diet. Excessive amounts of white sugar and vegetable/seed oils are way, way worse on my body than white flour, and guess what usually gets massive amounts of sugar and veg oils? White flour products. Doughnuts. Cake. Pies. Anything pastry-like, pretty much. My sweet tooth, let me show you it.

Now I am nursing (when I can) and still eating higher carb. There's been some stress; the unplanned surgery, adjusting to a new baby, and more recently we got news about his job that indicated we needed to move or lose our house. It wasn't a hammer blow -- we could have survived quite a while without getting to a point where we couldn't make house payments -- but it was very clear that if we didn't get out of the mortgage we were in, we were going to be boned.

Fortunately, we'd already been planning this. My husband and I, despite liking our jobs, would both like to quit the "rat race" and pursue our own interests. Also, Onalarklette has brought great joy to our life, and we'd like to have another one, except that our daughter's current caretaker (his mom) told us she doesn't think she can do another one. So we've made a plan to downsize our home and try and live on one salary (or, better yet, live on the money we make from our own personal pursuits). And good news! Selling our current house has not been a problem (so far), and buying a new one hasn't seemed like a problem...but it will add to my commute. A lot. :\ But hey, I'm going to be taking the train and that's a chance to decompress and do some writing. I hope.

And part of our "financial freedom" plan has both of us working for the next year and a half...but it's all good. Goals! We has them.

Soooo...what have I been eating? Well, I can't call it paleo. I can't call it exactly primal, either. I eat oatmeal in the mornings -- soaked in yogurt, with butter and raw honey, but it's still oatmeal. I still eat some rice and some potatoes. I like raw dairy, and don't seem to suffer from it. I avoid wheat, but the big culprit for me are those seed oils and sugar, so I let myself have slices of sourdough on weekends, and on days like today (when I am the cook), I'll make things like pancakes made with soaked and sprouted wheat...so far, so good. I know, though, that wheat is little more than a paste that holds things together. It's calories, and more important -- it's gluten-containing calories. I know. That's why I don't eat it that often.

I'd call what I eat WAPF-esque...except that WAPF drives me nuts with its fringe-activism (homeopathy, anti-vax, scaremongering) crap. I LIKE reading about traditional food preparations and eating plans...I HATE the pseudoscience bullshit that goes with it. Same problem I have with a lot of primal/paleo sites that regurgitate some of the same old science that has since been debunked. I have probably come to That Point. You know, the one where you say: "Just eat the fucking food and find out what works for you"? Yeah, that point.

I am trying out a higher fat diet because I have about 12 pounds of pregnancy weight that's sitting on my hips. Still nursing, though, and that might be part of it; mom claims she couldn't lose weight when she was nursing. I'm adding a lot more butter and coconut oil to my diet, while scaling back other macros, to see if I can hit satiation without breaking the bank (or killing my already limited milk supply). So far so good! But again, I'm not sure I'd call it primal (and it's definitely not paleo).

Anyway! I hope all is well with everyone, I hope you're finding what works for you, and I hope if you're not you're still looking! I don't think I'll post here much in the future, but I know I disappeared abruptly, and I wanted to let people know why.

All is well. All is well. We are happy and healthy and moving toward our own financial/personal independence. It took a daughter to nudge us in that direction. She's wonderful. Light of my life. Kids or not, I hope the same for everyone.

Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31394041