Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3038394041 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - onalark page 40

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Primal Fuel
    Hooray, heartbeat!

Mmm cottage cheese sounds really tasty. I think I'm ready to test the waters with dairy again. I should get some digestive enzymes and/or lactaid though.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Hooray, heartbeat!

Mmm cottage cheese sounds really tasty. I think I'm ready to test the waters with dairy again. I should get some digestive enzymes and/or lactaid though.
    I recommend the Nancy's cultured cottage cheese if you can find it. I don't eat anything else anymore. It's like yogurt and cottage cheese had a baby. So good.

Hi. How have you been? I'm great. I have a crapton of stuff to make for Thanksgiving day, but I'm great.

Next ultrasound a week from Monday, and I'm hoping this'll finally settle the "when are you due?" question. Not that "due date" means anything for a first time mother, which is why I keep telling people "April-Mayish". Baby gets here when she gets here. That's it.

I think? I'm feeling kicking. I can't tell. It feels like post-workout muscle spasms -- the painless ones where your muscles twitch as they relax and cool. Though my husband has no idea what those are, and neither does my mom. I don't think I'm the only one who gets these, or maybe I am. Anyway. It feels like that.

I am on the last pair of pants that fit around my belly. Thighs are fine. But when I tried to wear some of my regular non-stretchy pants the compression was like whoa. Nope. Not doing that. So I bought a Bella Band which should show up Wednesday, and I'm making do with skirts and tights. I haven't worn skirts and tights in about five years. I'm just not much of a girly girl.

Diet wise I'm trying to keep "cheating" down to one day a week, and avoiding grains and snacking. I was hungrier in the first trimester, interestingly enough. Though I'm eating higher carb than I normally do, I am eating lower carb than a typical pregnant lady.

I'm reading Birthing from Within and skipping the crazy hippy art sections. Ugh. There's some good stuff in there, but you have to dig through a lot of "now let's get in touch with our feelings" and "how did that make you feel?" and "imagine you are the womb and your partner is the child" stuff. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. This is not for me. We are signing up for Bradley courses instead. :P I am hoping I don't roll my eyes too much.

Yeah, so, baby kicks! Squirms and wiggles, really, but she's definitely moving. We got to see her doing it on ultrasound, and it was so neat to see. Mr. Onalark hasn't felt it yet, but he will.

Finally broke down and bought maternity pants. Hate to say it, but they're wonderful.

Am on an Indian food kick lately. Made rogan josh last night and a simple chicken curry the night before. Indian food is remarkably primal, so long as you're good with yogurt and ghee (and I am). I've also been eating it with rice. Yum.

Tired lately. I think if I was smart I would start packing nice, meaty lunches to fuel me through the day. Um. Maybe I should do that. -_-

I intend to make slow cooker kalua pig starting tonight. That would cover lunches for Thursday and Friday.

Exercise hasn't happened at all, though I work in squats when I remember to. The days I can sleep in, I do. The days I can't are because I have an appointment to go to. When you're pregnant, everyone wants to take your blood/check for a heartbeat/clean your teeth. It's wearying.

Also, the holidays.

And I'm off.

It's been a while, I know. Holidays. Family. Pregnancy. Things.

We're at 22/23 weeks, and I have a very active Onalarklette who does not seem to sleep. She is always moving, squirming, kicking. I fall asleep to kicking and I wake up to kicking. I am pretty sure she thinks the uterus is a bouncy room and I really don't mind.

That said, all that movement was distinctly weird for the first few weeks; disconcerting, even. Hey, I've never had someone kicking me from the inside. Rest assured, my brain has adapted, and the sentiment has now settled into "that's not weird, that's my baby".

Oh, and grains of any sort are giving me massive heartburn. Ha ha ha. I am so, so glad I found paleo before I got pregnant because otherwise I'd be one of these women making sad faces and yelling WHY SO MUCH HEARTBURN ALL I'M EATING IS TOAST AND RICE. Argh. The foods they tell pregnant ladies to eat! ARGH, I SAY.

We're three months out from full term, and looking forward to meeting our girl. Today, for Christmas Eve dinner, I'm making deviled eggs, pumpkin soup, duck, and pumpkin custard, so you could say I'm feeling pretty good. And yes, even though we're both more or less secular humanists, my husband and I are celebrating Christmas anyway. It's tradition, and I can't turn down an excuse to make duck.

Hope all is well with everyone, and have a joyous season, however you celebrate.

Paleobird Guest
    Merry Christmas to you, Hubs, and Nubbinette.

Dr. Bork Bork who is about 2-3 weeks out from popping out a new grokling was just saying that she was looking forward to "getting her rib cage back" to herself at last. She's got a rather feisty bun in the oven as well.

I'm so glad such good people as you folks are reproducing the tribe.

Oh, I ended up going in splits with the poster known as "Him", whose parents live near me, on some meat from that Eden Tropics place. They have a holiday combo pack of beef, lamb and goat that gives a nice variety. I will let you know how it turns out. Maybe you would like to go in with us on a whole cow or something someday. "Him" is buying it as a Primal Christmas present to his folks who he is trying to coax along the primal path.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 12-25-2012 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Merry Christmas to you, Hubs, and Nubbinette.

Dr. Bork Bork who is about 2-3 weeks out from popping out a new grokling was just saying that she was looking forward to "getting her rib cage back" to herself at last. She's got a rather feisty bun in the oven as well.

I'm so glad such good people as you folks are reproducing the tribe.
    Thanks. She's gonna eat soooo much bone marrow and butter.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Oh, I ended up going in splits with the poster known as "Him", whose parents live near me, on some meat from that Eden Tropics place. They have a holiday combo pack of beef, lamb and goat that gives a nice variety. I will let you know how it turns out. Maybe you would like to go in with us on a whole cow or something someday. "Him" is buying it as a Primal Christmas present to his folks who he is trying to coax along the primal path.
    Believe it or not, I have thought of you a few times and wondered if you ever bought your cow/goat/pig/lamb.

Glad you did! I know things were getting a little hectic for you for a while there with your dad. Things have wound down a little for me finally. Second trimester stress eased significantly when I started to feel her move. That combined with NaNoWriMo (which forced me to focus on writing, not reading forums), kind of killed my urge to come back to the forums.

Still like updating the diary, though. Probably will come back and do so post-New Year's, when all the partying calms down and every post isn't: "Welp, I ate a cookie today."

So, I haven't lost my appetite, but I do seem to be getting fuller way faster. Which I'm perfectly fine with, but it is weird to sit down to a meal that I know I could have polished off easily 6 months ago, and that I now have to quit halfway through. I have been adjusting my serving sizes accordingly so that we don't waste anything.

Also, wheat. Alas, wheat. Ugh, wheat. I've been cheating on weekends and the end result has been getting worse and worse, and always wheat is involved. I eat a hamburger on a bun, or a bit of pasta, or a sourdough roll, and six hours later my intestines feel like they're knotting up, and it takes days to clear. It is literally the most painful thing I've experienced so far in pregnancy.

So...no more wheat. Or at least, no bitching if I eat wheat and it hurts. And it really, really hurts.

Been looking at carb-backloading. It's a bit...neurotic. But post-birth I want to try and get back in shape and I like experimenting. The premise is basically this: take advantage of your naturally ketogenic state in the mornings and skip breakfast, with the exception of coffee with cream (okay, no problems there). Keep carbs low at lunch. In the afternoon, do a heavy lifting routine (around 30-45 minutes). Eat carbs immediately after, and in the evening, eat more carbs. On days you don't lift, don't go crazy with carbs. (There's more to it than that, but that's the Reader's Digest version.)

This is sort of what I naturally already do, with the exception of Pancake Saturday. I'm not hungry in the mornings, and most food looks pretty gross (I suspect that this is responsible for my dislike of eggs more than anything else). By evenings, though, I want something substantial: protein, fat, carbs. Not much seems to get me past the 150 lb barrier aside from flat-out starvation (which I don't recommend), so I'm willing to give this a shot when I get back to my pre-baby weight.

And, of course, being a chick, I don't actually need as much carbs as Keifer (the guy who "wrote the book" on carb-backloading) actually prescribes. Probably a potato and some sort of ice cream would do it for me. I could live in that sort of world.

Speaking of which: aside from an initial gain in the first few months, I seem to have leveled out. Onalarklette is still growing, still getting plenty of nutrients, but my lack of stomach space and overall ambivalence toward food has kept me from going too far off the scales. I started at around 156, and I'm now at 175. If I only gain 5 pounds between now and the birth, then I shouldn't have too much trouble getting back down to my old clothes. That makes me happy. I am already sick of maternity wear, and we're still three months out.

But enough griping! I'm still pregnant! And she's doing great! Huzzah! Happy New Year!

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Are you intending to breastfeed? If so, please don't start the carb backloading until you're well established - give it at least three months. In fact don't do anything rash - diet or exercise - until BF is going well. Honestly, cut yourself some slack - you might well need it.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard!

Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3038394041 LastLast