Sauerkraut turned out great! Beets are also pickled, but I'm not sure how I feel about 'em. Still -- success!
Definitely going to drop the stevia. Fiddling with cream and cinnamon. Need to do some HIIT either today or tomorrow. Saturday is Crossfit. If I decide to go with it, my exercise schedule will shift to Tues-Thurs-Sat instead of Mon-Wed-Fri.
I learned today that Koichi Tohei-sensei passed away. I studied ki-aikido for 3 years, and I owe him for the patience and discipline it taught me. Many humble thanks, sensei. Rest in peace.
- Breakfast - 2 eggs, 2 oz cooked ground beef, onions, peppers, mushrooms, coconut oil. 12 oz coffee with cream, cinnamon, and stevia.
- Lunch - BAS with 4 oz of chicken and about a tablespoon of (real) bacon bits. Jicama and bacon are a magic combination.
- Dinner - Decided to eat out. Ordered the (very meaty) short rib with mushrooms and collard greens. Also split some homemade sausage with the guy. And the sausage came on a bed of sweet potato fries, which we nibbled on conservatively. All in all an excellent meal.
- Post-dinner - Chai with cream. Skipping the stevia.
...and let me just say that three months ago, we went to the same restaurant for dinner and all I could feel was GUILT GUILT GUILT while I ate that same damn short rib. Now I'm all like GET OVER HERE NOM NOM OM NOM. I freakin' love this.
Last edited by onalark; 05-19-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Ditching the stevia as of today. I seem to have gone down to a 35" waist while I wasn't looking. My skinny jeans are still a little too tight, but they're getting there.
- Breakfast - 2 eggs, 2 strips bacon, spinach, mushrooms, onions (cooked in bacon fat)
- Lunch - El Pollo Loco 3 piece chicken (2 thighs, one drummie), some so-so steamed veggies, and I picked the meaty toppings off the pizza the guys brought in for a group lunch.
- Dinner - Grilled Ahi Tuna steaks (delish!), steamed green beans, BAS heavy with eggs, avocado, tomato and with a sherry vinaigrette myMike adored.
- Dessert - 5g dark chocolate
Held off today as I'll be doing Crossfit tomorrow.
Last edited by onalark; 05-21-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Yarrr, mateys. Today be cheat day, but I am down weight and kinda thinking I'll go easy on it.
The CrossFit gym was closed due to special event. Boo! I'll go Tuesday instead, and makeup exercise tomorrow morning.
And now, on to geekdom: it's D&D time! (Aaaaaall together now: NERD!)
Made primal pancakes for breakfast, and I think they're a bit heavy. May go for a half coconut flour, half almond flour cake next time, to see how it works.
- Breakfast - 3 Primal Pancakes with maple syrup and butter, 3 slices bacon.
- Lunch - Didn't so much eat "lunch" as grazed on stuff like corn chips, velveeta and salsa (what we call "goo"), roasted vegetables, cherries, and corn. Also, a chocolate peanut butter cup. And pear cider.
- Dinner - Steak with a BAS (avocado, eggs, leftover roasted vegetables) and a corn on the cob. White wine.
- Dessert - Luna & Larry Coconut Bliss chocolate bar. Soooo goooood.
Last edited by onalark; 05-22-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Yesterday was definitely the faileo (failmal?) diet. Gained weight, but I expected that. The corn is not digesting well. myMike also mentioned a lack of sleep, though I slept GREAT (I also started taking Natural Calm).
So, one of my other "things" aside from hypothyroidism, PCOS, and reactive hypoglycemia (jeez, Steph, diagnosed much?) is a sleep disorder. Basically, I wake up screaming. This was diagnosed by a for realz sleep doctor who told me he had no idea what caused it, but gave me clonazepam to try and treat it. This works about 80% of the time when I take it correctly. When I don't, or it doesn't work, I wake up screaming. Sometimes, I also try to run out of my house!
This is fun, really! Just my body's wait of getting in some sprints!
I'm trying the Natural Calm to treat this. I'm highly, highly skeptical, of course. I have tried lots of other things -- Ambien (gave me migraines), antihistamines, and meditation -- but always go back to the clonazepam. If it really is a magnesium deficiency, I am going to be very, very annoyed. Because it'll mean I've been subjecting myself to a potentially addictive medication for four+ years.
Evicted some more stuff from my freezer. Good bye, Boca sausage. I'd like to say I'll miss you, but...I won't.
- Breakfast - BPT Eggs - Bacon, Parsley, and Tomato! With onions and mushrooms. 12 oz coffee with cream. 12 oz tea with cream.
- Lunch - Ground chicken cooked in coconut oil with curry spices, basil, spinach, and onions. "Meh."
- Afternoon snack - 1 apple with 1 1/2 Tbsp almond butter (because I was going to DIE, ya'all)
- Dinner - Pot roast with leeks and carrots, BAS with walnuts, egg, peppers, radish, tomato, and myMike's favorite sherry vinaigrette.
I did the MWF routine (on Sunday -- I know, I know) and it knackered me. I probably ought to go eat something right. damn. now.
- 20 x glute activations
- 15 x pointing bird canine what thing
- 20 modified pushups
- 5 regular pushups
- 3 x 20 rep kettlebell swings @ 35 lbs
- 20 crunches
- 20 reverse crunches
- 20 squats @ 35 lbs
- 10 lunges @ 10 lbs
- 10 raised one-legged squats @ 10 lbs
30 minutes of sun worship. I got a bit of red going on.
Last edited by onalark; 05-22-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Oh, Modern Lady. I love you, too.
Uhhh, night two without clonazepam. Honestly, did not sleep well. Occurred to me at 2 am that after four years of being on a medication, my body might be, like, adapted to it and stuff! So I'm just going to roll with it because despite being underslept, I feel pretty good today.
- Breakfast - 2 or so eggs, 2 oz grassfed beef, onions, peppers, and mushrooms, cooked in gheeeee. 12 oz coffee with cream and cinnamon.
- Lunch - Sharky's shrimp and veggies, with guacamole and broccoli. Iced tea.
- Snack - 5 almonds
- Dinner - GF steaks, roasted sweet potatoes with rosemary and shallots, BAS with all the fixins.
- After - Tea with cream.
Last edited by onalark; 05-24-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Sleep was better, but I am waking up achy. Clonazepam. Withdrawal? Maybe.
My department is going to a churrascaria today. Tonight I'm going to CrossFit.
Had a friend over for dinner last night. She got about halfway through her meal and said, "Is this the way you eat EVERY night?" I said, "More or less." I have this feeling if I could cook dinner for all the Doubting Thomases in my life, there'd be more primal/paleo converts. :P
- Breakfast - 2 oz boneless pork chop, 2 eggs, spinach and mushrooms and onions. Cooked in coconut oil. 12 oz coffee with cream and cinnamon.
- Lunch - Churrascariarama! I ate a lot of meat, and a lot of vegetables, and two of the tapioca cheese things. Iced tea to drink.
- Dinner - Ahi tuna steak and BAS with egg, avocado, cucumber, tomato, and peppers. Water.
- Dessert - 10g dark chocolate
CrossFit kicked my butt. Looooove.
- 1440 mg EPA and DHA fish oil (half in the morning, half in the evening)
- 350 mg Magnesium (evening)
Last edited by onalark; 05-24-2011 at 10:38 PM.
I am exceptionally sore, but not so bad that I can't, like, walk and stuff. My soreness tends to ramp up the second day after a workout, though, so I may be regretting this statement tomorrow.
Trying not to take painkillers. Definitely eating more protein to speed up muscle recovery, but also listening to my body's "okay, I'm full" signals. It's hard to do so when you're eating really delicious homemade food....
Also, I bought pork belly today. And you know what that means...BACON.
- Breakfast - 2 oz GF beef, spinach, mushrooms, onions, 2 eggs. Coconut oil. 16 oz coffee with cream and cinnamon.
- Lunch - 1/2 rotisserie chicken (ate about 3/4 of it), steamed veggies, salad with Greek dressing. Garlic sauce of some sort. Iced tea.
- Dinner - Surf n' turf (shrimp scampi and sirloin) with steamed veggies, salad, and crab cocktail. The guy made me do it!
- Fish oil - 900mg EPA, 600 mg DHA
- Vitamin D3 - 4,000 IU
- Magnesium - 2 tsp Natural Calm
Last edited by onalark; 05-25-2011 at 11:54 PM.
Got up suuuuuper early because we had a team event today. We played paintball, which was fun, exhausting, and dirty all at once.
Though it could have been easy to succumb and eat the pizza that was catered in, I packed a tiffin instead and enjoyed cold pot roast and salad. In the future, I may not bring pot roast because it looked a bit like dog food (though it tasted much, much better). And despite playing my heart out and really getting my heartrate up, I wasn't shaky or hungry, so it was definitely the wise choice.
Speaking of wise choices: I feel pretty good for someone who is otherwise pretty beat up. Despite going to a CrossFit session that kicked my hiney, and despite having just spent 10 matches of paintball (about 6 hours at the site) tensely running around and shooting at people, I'm not as exhausted or as sore as I would have been six months ago. I am really loving this.
Now I'm roasting sweet potatoes to eat with dinner because dammit, I've earned it.
- Breakfast - 2 eggs, 2 oz boneloss pork chop, onions and peppers. 12 oz coffee with cream.
- Lunch - Hunk of pot roast, salad with cucumbers and tomatoes and sherry vinaigrette. Water.
- Roasting sweet potatoes, and will probably eat that with bison burgers and salad.
A lot of crawling, running, squatting, equipment lugging, and excitement.
Daily D3 and Omega 3s/6s.
Day off. I slept until 8 AM and made breakfast for FutureHubbie. I am now enjoying coffee, checking emails, and plotting the next four days of time off work.
My legs are super sore, and speaking of which: I will be starting a CrossFit On-Ramp course in mid-June. I love learning! This should be fun.
Tomorrow will mark a week without Clonazepam. If I continue to have restful sleep, I'm going to chalk it up to the Natural Calm and invest in the company.
- Breakfast - 2 eggs, 12.8 oz GF ground beef, onions, mushrooms, coconut oil to cook in. Coffee with cream and about 2 tsp of honey.
- Lunch - Meeting a friend, so anyone's guess.
- Dinner - Pork chops on the grill, I hope!
I am a big ball of pain, so day off.
Usual dose of fish oil and D3.
30 minutes of sun bathing.
Last edited by onalark; 05-27-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Normally this would be my cheat day, but I'm giving that up. Goodbye, dairy. Farewell, peanut butter. I will miss you only a little.
Big family cookout tonight. I am bringing the salad. Of course. I, the most Paleo member of the family, always bring the salad, even from when before I was a filthy vegan. Hm!
- Breakfast - 1 1/2 primal pancakes, butter, maple syrup, 3 slices bacon. 12 oz coffee with cream.
- Lunch - Didn't really, but did snack on salad fixin's (1 HB egg, cucumber, strawberries, nuts) and some homemade kale chips.
- Dinner - 2 burger patties, salad, some potato salad, olives, pickle chips, watermelon, and a couple of the gluten-free puddings my aunt brought!
Still recovering from the one-two punch of CrossFit and paintball. Should have an update tomorrow.
Fish oil and D3.
Continuing the magnesium in the evenings.
Last edited by onalark; 05-29-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Tags for this Thread