Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - onalark page 38

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Nom Nom Paleo (the blog) loves those SP bars. It's probably the only reason why I'd buy the book, I'm totally interested in making them hahah. I'd probably eat them all for a few days of meals though =P
    Yeah, the book's not worth it. If you've read Sisson/Wolf/Cordain, you've got what you need. The recipes are okay, but nothing amazing; maybe if I was more active or interested in putting more calories in my diet I'd be more interested in them. That's my three-sentence review.

And yeah, Nom Nom's photos are what keep reminding me that I want to make these. :x Derp!

Here's the sweet potato bar recipe:

• 1/2 cup yam puree (bake a medium-sized yam until soft and scoop out the insides; she recommends 1 hour at 400 degrees)
    • 1/3 cup honey
    • 2 eggs
    • 1 cup blanched almond flour
    • 1/4 tsp ground sea salt
    • 1/2 tsp baking soda
    • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
    • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
    • 1/4 tsp cloves

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Process yam flesh in a food processor until puree consistency, then add honey and eggs and process for 2 minutes. Add dry flour and seasonings. Pulse for 1 minute.
    2. Pour into a greased, 8-inch baking dish. Bake 30-35 minutes. Cut into 9 squares. Serve.

Had a headache this morning. Went out and did yard work, during which the headache briefly surged and...now is gone.

Also, I have no heartburn.

Ugh. This all just sort of indicates that working at a desk is a general malaise that isn't doing me any favors. And yet, that's what I do. That's what makes us money. That's what I enjoy. Blargh.

Notes on the sweet potato bars:

• Juuust a touch too sweet. Will drop the honey down to 1/4 cup next time.
    • I added ginger. In fact, I amped up on all the spices. Doubled the cinnamon, used mace instead of nutmeg.
    • Dried tart fruits (raisins, cherries, apricots) would probably also be welcome batter mix-ins. Nuts, too. Chocolate chips? Don't be crazy. (Okay, maybe be crazy. I bet they'd be good, actually. White chocolate especially.)
    • Used a 9x9 pan, and glad now I didn't trust my new oven. 30-35 minutes would have overcooked them. 20 minutes was just enough.
    • As long as paleo baked goods keep sticking to my bakeware, I will continue using Pam. SORRY, PALEOSPHERE.
    • These are good with sunflower butter. Going to take a wild guess and say that they'd also taste great with jam.
    • Going to take an even WILDER guess and say that a cream cheese-cinnamon frosting would turn these into an unspeakably good snack cake.
    • Hm. Wonder if this could be rolled like a spongecake and turned into a jellyroll? Hmmmmm.
    • Speaking of jam: if I ever want to make a paleo "fool" (or parfait), these would probably fit the bill for the spongy cakestuff.
    • Sidenote: I love fools.

Pretty easy. Would make again, provided I have blanched almond flour in the hizzouse (I often don't).
    Last edited by onalark; 10-28-2012 at 01:08 AM.

Got a pork roast roasting away, low n' slow (250 degrees until it's done), which I will later turn into what my mom calls "pork barbeque" (really just shredded, roasted pork with a sauce of vinegar and sugar). Pork roast is stupid simple; I expect the coleslaw to actually take longer to prep than the chunk of meat. Get your baking vessel (I use my 6 quart enamel dutch oven), scatter a sliced onion along the bottom, put the chunk of meat (3-4 pounds, frozen or fresh, though frozen will obviously take longer to cook) on top of the onion bed, and then season it. Seasoning can be salt and pepper (in which case, use a lot of pepper), or what my mom does: salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. I'm actually trying it without the Worcestershire this time, instead using a leftover rib rub I had in my cupboard. Then you add about a half inch of water, put a lid on it (if it isn't tight-fitting, then seal it with some aluminum foil, because you want to keep moisture IN), and shove it in an oven to be forgotten. You can cook it hotter than 250, depends on whether you want it to cook 3 hours or 5, but I wouldn't go over 350 degrees. When it's shreddable, shred it, then toss it in a 30/30/30 mix of brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, and the leftover juices in the pot. There should be plenty, but if there isn't, then use water.

I'm also planning on using a little mustard in my sauce this time, because that's Carolina barbeque to me. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

Also in the pipe cooking-wise: Dill pickles, and planning on pre-prepping a chicken pot pie from Joyful Abode. She used to post here, and I like her blog, so I figure it's worth giving it a whirl.

Breakfast
    Apple-onion-sausage hash with 1 duck egg
    Sweet potato bar with pumpkin cream cheese
    Triple H (Half-caff with Honey and Half-n-half)

Lunch
    1/2 chicken breast, some mayo and sriracha
    1/2 carrot (raw)
    1/2 cheese stick
    1 cup spiced apple cider
    Sweet potato bar with pumpkin cream cheese
    Eating assorted scraps of food from food prep and tasting. Not really lunch so much as, "I'm hungry. Let's eat this chicken breast I just stewed."

Dinner
    Mom's "Pork Barbeque"
    Buttermilk Coleslaw (homemade)
    Green beans with butter
    Gluten free chocolate chip cookie and milk
    Last edited by onalark; 10-28-2012 at 09:34 PM.

Two and a half pounds of pork left over. Froze a pound, fridged a pound, put five ounces of it into a tiffin along with the remaining coleslaw and green beans.

The chicken pot pie filling tastes great. Tweaked the hell out of it, but the framework is there. I added rosemary, sage, and thyme, nixed the zukes in favor of fennel, and double-downed on the celery because I lurrrrv it. My husband claims he can taste the cashews, but I just rolled my eyes at him. Looking forward to eating that Tuesday or Wednesday. We'll see where it lands.

So again today...no heartburn, my headache is still there, but not nearly as bad as it was during the week. Either I've turned a corner, or work is impacting my health. Hrm. We'll see how the day goes tomorrow.

Failed to bring my lunch. D'oh.

No heartburn, headache is gone (I got a bit of an exertion ache when I walked up the stairs this morning, but it vanished quickly), and I feel...good? Yeah, I feel good. So at this point, some theories:

1. I was sick with {SOMETHING} last weekend, and Mr. Onalark avoided it because it was either foodborne or my immune system is handicapped by the pregnancy (thus turning it into a regular, normal immune system instead of the superimmune system I usually have).
    2. My flu shot on Wednesday made me a bit ill/prolonged last week's illness.
    3. Work stress.
    4. I'm pregnant.
    5. All of the above.

And today Mr. Onalark is at Disneyland for a team event (LIFE IS HARD) so I go home to an empty house and make me some nachos. TAKE THAT, DISNEYLAND.

Breakfast
    Sweet potato bar
    1 Tbs sunbutter
    1/3 cup cultured cottage cheese
    12oz 1/2 caff

Snack
    1/2 serving fruit snacks

Lunch
    Headache came back right around here.
    Turkey cobb salad with ranch dressing (tomatoes, olives, bacon, bleu cheese, salad mix)
    Water

Exercise
    25 minute leisurely walk

Snack
    Cheese stick

Dinner
    Baked potato with butter, sour cream, and cheddar cheese
    5 oz pork barbeque
    1 sweet potato bar
    Water
    Last edited by onalark; 10-29-2012 at 11:25 PM.

Made another batch of sweet potato bars, this time trying to make it more "gingerbread" like. Did half honey, half molasses, and replaced the spices with ginger and cinnamon exclusively.

It's tasty, but not really gingerbread. Ah well. I had to try! At least it'll make a great breakfast and dessert this week.

Crockpot is stewing up a pile of sausage chili, and while I'm happy for that, I'm not thrilled that it took 45 minutes to prep. Blargh. Oh well.

Slight, hovering headache, which is basically telling me it'll blossom sometime later today. Charming. Still no heartburn, though!

Breakfast
    Sweet potato bar
    1 Tbs sunbutter
    1/4 cup cultured cottage cheese
    12 oz half-caff

Lunch
    Pork barbeque w/sriracha
    Coleslaw
    Green beans
    Water
    Remembered my homemade lunch. Hooooraaaaaay.

Candy
    Wait, what? Yeah, I'm afraid I had a small mental break there and kind of ate a bunch of Halloween candy. Blargh.
    3 funsize Snickers
    2 funsize peanut butter cup
    1 funsize Milky Way
    1 funsize Almond Joy
    1 funsize bag of Skittles
    What the hell?

Dinner
    Sausage-bean chili with sour cream, cheese, and green onions
    1 blue corn tortilla

Okay, this was worth all that time this morning. Really tasty, if not necessarily primal. I think next time I make a batch of regular chili, I'm going to throw in some chopped up andouille. This made me really happy.
    Last edited by onalark; 10-30-2012 at 09:02 PM.

I made gluten-free mini cheesecakes for the company Halloween party. Then I ate half of one. :x But...they're pretty good. Not too sweet. And I really don't want anymore now.

Breakfast
    1/2 mini cheesecake
    1 sweet potato bar
    1 hard-boiled egg

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    All I'll say about yesterday: I have no desire for candy anymore.

Breakfast
    1 sweet potato bar
    1 Tbs sunflower butter
    1 cheese stick
    12 oz half-caff

Lunch
    2 chicken satay
    Thai beef salad

Snack
    1 persimmon

Dinner
    Ribs
    Pork barbeque
    Tomato-cucumber-avocado salad with homemade yogurt dressing
    1 chocolate-honey mint
    Last edited by onalark; 11-02-2012 at 12:05 PM.

Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast