Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - onalark page 37

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Primal Fuel
    I am going to be a nightmare when/if I ever have children. I imagine I'll have more self confidence by then and not terribly polite to pushy nurses or doctors.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I am going to be a nightmare when/if I ever have children. I imagine I'll have more self confidence by then and not terribly polite to pushy nurses or doctors.
    When I was younger and on my family's medical coverage, I wasn't comfortable finding a new doctor if my current one didn't agree with my lifestyle choices.

I am older now, and blessed with great PPO insurance. If I don't like someone, I don't have to see them, and I have dropped doctors in the past because they were bullies or didn't really seem to give a shit. The gynecologist who left me bleeding heavily because he ratcheted the speculum too hard and chewed me out for not having had a Pap smear in two years at the age of 22? He did not get a repeat visit.

And yeah, I know my situation is not typical for a US resident, but I am grateful that I have these choices. Some of them are my own; I pay for the privilege, but I'm glad to have the option to do so.

In her defense, she seemed like she was new. The last nurse there was very polite. This one was young and, I suspect, idealistic.

My doctor's great, though, and that's really all I care about!

Rant ovah!

All good news I also have PPO and it's pretty good. My doctors office is very holistic oriented, so people aren't weirded out by me using 5-HTP for depression instead of Prozac, but they are still rather CW with grain-pushing etc. Easy enough to deal with, but I get nervous about seeing someone new because some doctors can be real jerks when you resist them.
    Last edited by namelesswonder; 10-24-2012 at 12:38 PM.

All good news I also have PPO and it's pretty good. My doctors office is very holistic oriented, so people aren't weirded out by me using 5-HTP for depression instead of Prozac, but they are still rather CW with grain-pushing etc. Easy enough to deal with, but I get nervous about seeing someone new because some doctors can be real jerks when you resist them.
    I think the key is often to find a younger doctor.

Yeah. I just remind myself that they're providing a service, and if they aren't going to bend, I should go get my service elsewhere.

Accountability and Sujeonggwa

I made sujeonggwa (persimmon tea - 수정과) last night after reading that persimmons are a natural remedy for heartburn. I cut the sugar in half (the recipe asked for a full cup; I used 1/2 cup of honey) and I have it cooling in my work fridge. We'll see if it works! Aferwards I had a bunch of dried persimmons left over, so I brought those in to snack on. They're delish.

Breakfast
    2 strips thin bacon
    1 banana
    Couple bites of cottage cheese
    12 oz Half-caff

Lunch
    Chopped basil chicken
    Salad
    1/2 cup sujeonggwa

Snack
    Frozen yogurt
    Dried persimmon

Dinner
    Bunless cheeseburger
    Salad
    Fries with ketchup
    Chocolate coke
    I really need to stop stress eating like this.

And here's my recipe for sujeonggwa. Note that I haven't tasted it yet, and I've never made it, so who knows if it's any good?

• 10 cinnamon sticks
    • 1 medium-sized hand ginger, sliced (I didn't bother peeling it, just rinsed and scrubbed a bit)
    • 10 cups water
    • 1/2 cup honey
    • 4 dried persimmons, stems removed
    • Pine nuts, garnish

1. Bring water, cinnamon, and ginger to a boil and set a timer for 30 minutes. Your house will smell amazing and your significant others may wander in and stick their faces in the pot to get a whiff. At the end, strain into a large enough container and add the honey. Stir to incorporate. Add the persimmons and leave to cool completely. Serve in small cups with a couple pinenuts sprinkled on top, if desired.
    2. To me, this smells/tastes highly concentrated. I will probably dilute it with water, but that's up to you and your particular tastes. You may also want to add more or less honey. You can fish out the persimmons and eat them, or slice them and add them to the tea. Or throw them away. Though you'd be a horrible person if you did that.

My Korean coworkers are very curious to try this, and I'm nervous to share it with them, but who knows? Maybe it'll be great.
    Last edited by onalark; 10-26-2012 at 09:19 AM.

I've had a headache since Sunday. Not exactly fun. It gets worse throughout the day and seems to increase when I exert myself. So I'm guessing stress and blood pressure. Maybe I should ponder doing yoga before bed?

I stress ate yesterday. My last hour of work was fighting fires, and then when I went to drive home there was a massive back up on the freeway and my normally 20 minute commute turned into an hour+. I somehow didn't snack between 3 and 8 PM (lunch did not sit well), and so by the time I got home I was exhausted, grumpy, and ready to curl up on the couch. Mr. Onalark opted to take me to a diner. And that, my friends, is how I ended up eating french fries.

Breakfast
    2 thin bacon strips
    1 banana
    1 hard boiled egg
    12 oz half-caff coffee
    Scrambled eggs are still making my stomach turn. Hard boiled are easy to eat. No idea why.

Lunch
    Chicken Ensenada platter, no tortilla strips, ranch dressing

Snack
    Fruit snacks
    Hardboiled egg
    Cheese stick

Dinner
    1/4 oz grassfed steak
    Green beans
    Salad with tomatoes and cucumbers
    King mushrooms sauteed with butter, garlic, and shallots
    Dark chocolate and sunflower butter
    Despite all the veggies, was still hungry after dinner. Hence, the chocolate and sunflower butter.
    Last edited by onalark; 10-26-2012 at 09:47 PM.

More salt, or less, maybe? I got dehydrated recently and downing some warm water with sea salt seemed to get rid of the headache. Now I'm not sure how long I need to keep that up before I'll dehydrate myself from the salt =P

More salt, or less, maybe? I got dehydrated recently and downing some warm water with sea salt seemed to get rid of the headache. Now I'm not sure how long I need to keep that up before I'll dehydrate myself from the salt =P
    Anything's worth a shot! Yeah, I've pondered if it's a too much/too little salt thing. Thanks.

Sitting around and knitting, watching episodes of Teen Wolf, waiting for Mr. Onalark to wake up. Your typical Saturday.

My massage got canceled. This makes me sad. Was looking forward to it, and unfortunately they can't find another therapist on short notice who'll touch a pregnant lady. QQ moar, I know.

Thinking about making sweet potato bars from Sweet Potato Power. Got one sweet potato baking away as I type. Also probably going to make another batch of garlic-dill pickles because the last batch was soooo goooood.

Breakfast
    Half-caff with half and half and honey
    1 spoon sunflower butter
    Raspberries
    1/2 persimmon
    I need to get something in my stomach while I wait for the other half to crawl out of the bedcave. The queasiness is mostly subsided, but most mornings if I haven't eaten within an hour or so of waking, I'll regret it.

Brunch
    Buckwheat-buttermilk pancakes
    2 strips thick bacon
    1 duck egg
    Syrup, butter, raspberries, persimmons
    Half-caff with half and half and honey

Dinner
    Cheeseburger
    Pickled beets
    Ice cream
    This is my actual, planned 20% day for the week.

Snack
    Sweet potato bar
    These are baking right now!
    Last edited by onalark; 10-27-2012 at 11:37 PM.

Nom Nom Paleo (the blog) loves those SP bars. It's probably the only reason why I'd buy the book, I'm totally interested in making them hahah. I'd probably eat them all for a few days of meals though =P

Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast