Page 35 of 41 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - onalark page 35

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Nice morning. Relaxing. Nothing much to report.

Snack 1
    Black tea with sugar and cream

Lunch
    Assorted Greek meze (dolmas, hummus, baba ghanoush, falafel, tzatziki)
    Greek salad with gyro meat
    1/2 toasted pita
    12 oz mocha coffee
    20% meal #1 for the weekend. Tomorrow night will be the next one.

Snack 2
    Couple Skittles, Starbursts, and gummy Lifesavers.
    Halloween candy I bought for the local kids. They were kind of gross. Which means the kids will love them.

Snack 3
    1 oz dark chocolate cheddar

Dinner
    Roasted lamb
    Mashed sweet potatoes
    Sliced tomatoes

Dessert
    Slice of berry pie
    Decaf with cream and sugar

And water, water everywhere.
    Last edited by onalark; 10-14-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Typical Sunday. Woke up way before the other half, took an hour and a half to hit the hardware store, farmer's market, and Trader Joe's. Now intending to stay home, put away boxes, and eventually make a dinner of slightly-cheaty yum.

I'm also going to start making little half-pints of yogurt to take to work (hence, the hardware store trip). One nice thing about TJ's: most of their organic milk is NOT ultra-pasteurized. I'm thinking of doing 3/4th milk, 1/4th cream, because I'd like something with a slightly higher fat content when I'm at work, staving off hunger.

Kinda-Sorta-Breakfast-Snack-Thing
    3 juiced valencia oranges (that's just a fancy way of saying "orange juice", but I wanted to specify that I juiced 'em)
    1 organic honeycrisp apple
    1 organic kalamata fig
    Slice of leftover lamb
    All eaten over two or three hours as I zipped around town. A little fruit-sugar-heavy, I know, but I got a new juicer and wanted to give it a test run.

Brunch
    Buckwheat pancakes with grassfed butter and maple syrup
    2 strips thick-cut bacon
    1 duck egg
    Half-caff with honey and half-and-half
    Duck eggs! I finally snatched up the duck eggs from my egg farmer before anyone else could! And the yolks are H-U-G-E! And so bright and orange!

Snack
    Cold slices of lamb
    Hot-sweet mustard
    Cornichons

Dinner
    Quinoa pasta with tomato-basil-butter sauce
    Roasted garlic-aleppo pepper shrimp
    Grated fennel salad with cilantro
    Homemade citrus syrup with mineral water

Aaaaand the big cheat meal of the week. As GF pasta replacements go, I'm giving the Ancient Grains quinoa pasta pretty high marks. People often say, "Oh, I could serve this to my family and they'd never know it wasn't XYZ!" and they are totally lying. I can confidently say that I could serve this to my parents and they wouldn't know it wasn't wheat. I wish the whole restaurant world used this stuff, because personally I'd rather eat semolina than another mouthful of that fucking awful brown rice crap.

Dessert
    Four squares dark chocolate
    1 Tbs sunflower butter
    Last edited by onalark; 10-14-2012 at 10:58 PM.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I haven't made my own juice in a looooong time. My dad used to do that with us when we were quite little. I have fond memories of that And hey, I'm pretty sure he still has that fruit-presser thing! Awesome idea.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I haven't made my own juice in a looooong time. My dad used to do that with us when we were quite little. I have fond memories of that And hey, I'm pretty sure he still has that fruit-presser thing! Awesome idea.
    Mom got me the juicer as a housewarming gift. Truth be told, I'm more likely to use it for making carnitas than juice, but I must admit I love me a fresh squeezed glass of OJ.

Er, I should say it's one of the old fashioned electric reamer types. Not a Jack LaLane special. No "juicing" kale for me. I'd rather eat the stuff.

Went to Quest this morning for my monthly thyroid blood screen, and learned a valuable lesson: don't go to a major nationwide blood collection facility without an appointment. 45 minute wait. Yikes. I left and made an appointment for tomorrow afternoon.

Oh hey, and fun fact: when you are a hypo pregnant they want to test your blood monthly to make sure your thyroid isn't going haywire. I was cautioned that my dosage "may need to be adjusted a few times". Awesome. Just what every hypo loves to hear.

The nausea appears to be gone. Still occasional queasiness, and certain smells really jump out at me and twist my overly-sensitive nipples, but otherwise I seem to be coasting into the second trimester honeymoon. Hooraaaaay.

Breakfast
    1 fig
    1 banana
    1 egg (scrambled)
    2 strips bacon (regular, not thick)
    12 oz half-caff

Lunch
    Grass-fed cheeseburger, no bun (lettuce, tomato, onion, ketchup, mustard)
    Tater tots (sriracha and ketchup)
    Tater tots! I'm sorry, body. I had lunch all picked out for you and then I forgot it on my kitchen counter. Accountability, keep me honest.

Snack
    Coconut chips (about 1 Tbs)
    Liberte lemon yogurt, 6 oz

Dinner
    Roasted chicken (thigh and leg)
    Roasted parsnips and carrots
    Baby tomato and fresh fig salad with parsley, basil, and simple vinaigrette
    Last edited by onalark; 10-15-2012 at 09:22 PM.

Roasted chicken carcass is on its way to becoming stock, and I have six little jam jars in my water oven turning into yogurt. I hope! We'll see. I upped the cream content so...hopefully that doesn't cause things to go awry. This is what experimenting is for!

Tomorrow night is Korean BBQ with coworkers. I think I'm doing something with the lamb on Weds. And I guess Thursday we'll have chili. Friday we're heading down to the desert for a family thing, which means dinner with family. Which means I really need to seal up some of the lamb; there's no way we're going to eat it all between now and Sunday. Hmmmm.

Chicken stock succeeded, yogurt is a little less tangy than I'm used to, which I think is the result of the added cream. I'm looking forward to sampling it for reals come post-lunch hunger craving.

I did some quickie math to figure out how much I'm saving by making my own individual servings of yogurt. It came out to this:

1 6 oz (quality) yogurt = $1.50
    1 6 oz mason jar = $1.08 (one-time cost)
    5 oz organic milk = $0.24 (figure a half gallon costs $3)
    1 oz organic cream = $0.19 (figure a pint costs $3)
    Total initial cost: $1.51 (let's say $1.60 if you include energy costs and the spoonful of honey I threw in)

Cost next time: $0.43

Yup, that's a win. Bonus: I get to eat it out of glass and I don't have to clutter up trash with plastic cups. Definite win.

Aside: my work cafe charges $3 for Chobani. Seriously. WTF? Even with the mason jar cost, this comes out cheaper. Argh. It's annoying because the food in the cafe is supposed to be "subsidized" for the workers (it's one of the perks of working here). In what universe is a $3 yogurt cup subsidized?

On to accountability.

Breakfast
    10 oz oatmeal
    1 Tbs butter
    1 Tbs brown sugar
    2 Tbs raisins
    1 banana
    I felt terrible when I woke up this morning (pounding headache, queasiness), and the eggs and bacon made my stomach turn. Oatmeal isn't ideal, but it did the trick.

Lunch
    Leftover shrimp
    Leftover tomato-basil-butter sauce
    Parmesan cheese
    This is practically soup, and fairly delicious. I threw out the pasta. I don't need it!

Snack
    6 oz homemade yogurt with 1 tsp honey
    1 cheese stick
    Yogurt consisting of 5 oz whole milk and 1 oz cream. About 210 calories, if my measurements and math are right. Oh, and it tastes great!

Dinner
    Korean Barbeque
    Lots of variety meats (sirloin, rib, brisket, tongue, marinated pork and steak) and all the starch-less banchan (pickles, kimchi, lettuce, radish wraps). I am known as a bit of a kimchi freak on my team, and so one of my coworkers told the servers to bring us extra because otherwise they knew I would eat it all. They had to refill us twice. :3

Succeeded in not eating rice or potato. Also ate way too much. It's just so easy. I am now ridiculously full of meat and banchan.
    Last edited by onalark; 10-16-2012 at 09:40 PM.

So as much as I enjoyed my lunch (and for leftover seafood, which is notoriously finicky when it comes to reheating, this was very good), my digestive tract is somewhat less thrilled. Raw tomatoes are just...not kind to me.

I has a sad, because I was thinking it would make a nice soup. Too bad my body is AW HELL NO'ing that idea.

Ah well. Me and nightshades have never been buddy-buddy, but it looks like me and raw tomatoes are definitely not on speaking terms anymore.

Champagne toast today at the company, which means people grab whole bottles of champagne and spray each other with them. Tremendous fun. I watched and cheered and enjoyed the spectacle, but did not participate. The smell is...woof. Barely tolerable when I wasn't pregnant, gag-inducing now. Also, last time I was part of one of these, I took a cork to the head. Hah.

Managed to remember my lunch AND my coffee this morning, which is better than Monday and Tuesday. Go brain.

Thyroid came back in normal ranges. Doc still wants to see me. Am hoping she isn't going to give me the third degree about being older and opting for a midwife. She's been a fairly reasonable doctor, and it's probably just my paranoia talking, but I am curious as to why I need a follow up when all my testing is coming up "normal".

Breakfast
    @1 oz of leftover lamb
    1 bacon strip
    1 scrambled egg
    1 banana
    Half-caff ice coffee with a splash of half-n-half and 2 drops of stevia

Lunch
    Mixed greens with carrot, beets, marinated artichokes, olives, parmesan cheese
    5 oz leftover lamb (cold)
    Ranch dressing

Snack
    6 oz homemade yogurt
    1.5 Tbs blueberry-plum jam
    Cup of herbal lemon tea

Dinner
    We ate out. I wanted goat cheese and, honestly, not to cook. So we had goat cheese and ribs and sweet potato fries. Now I'm sleepy and hoping that tomorrow I don't wake up with a headache like I have the last two days in a row.
    Last edited by onalark; 10-17-2012 at 10:25 PM.

Last night, it turns out, was a bit of a pre-celebratory dinner. Today I called the clinic to see if my results were in -- and they were. Baby Onalark is not at risk of the major chromosomal genetic conditions (21, 18, 13) and...we found out she's a girl.

(I didn't know the test also determined gender, though I speculated on Saturday that it ought to. After all, it's looking at genetic material, which means it HAS to know gender. Then I speculated that they probably wouldn't tell us anyway, or charge us an extra $50 for that privilege, but I guess I was wrong! Science, I love you!)

This, as my husband said, "makes it real". I'm so happy. And next week, I swear I will start exercising so our little lark is acquainted as soon as possible with proper squatting technique.

Breakfast
    Coconut-banana muffin
    Sunflower butter
    Half-caff
    Last of the muffins. I need to make a new batch. They are the best el-cheapo quickie breakfast in town.

Lunch
    Ham
    Green beans
    Roasted potatoes with ketchup

Snacks
    Fruit snacks
    Sprite Zero
    Homemade yogurt with homemade kumquat preserves
    Cheese stick
    Last edited by onalark; 10-18-2012 at 05:28 PM.

Page 35 of 41 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast