Page 33 of 41 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - onalark page 33

Annieh is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    ♥ ❤♥ ❤♥ ❤♥ ❤♥ ❤♥ ❤♥ ❤♥

We have a heartbeat.

Now to just get out of the first trimester.

That's the only thing I care about today. Take care, all.
    Fabulous exciting news. Blessings to you.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    That is WONDERFUL news. I'm all made up for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Fabulous exciting news. Blessings to you.
    Thank you both.

Radio silence means I am in the process of moving. We also celebrated our one year anniversary on Sunday. He gave me a clock made of forks and spoons. I made him garlic pickles. That's love.

Nausea still ongoing, and ginger is the greatest thing ever and so are banana-coconut flour muffins and cultured cottage cheese. When I look back, these are the things I will accredit to first trimester mornings not being so bad.

Just a quick hit. Still moving in. Still busy. Radio silence still (mostly) in effect. I live in a land of boxes.

I was lamenting that I hadn't had nausea in a week or so, and that it worried me because it's technically too early for the placenta to be fully formed. This morning (still lamenting my lack of nausea) I didn't eat breakfast because I woke up, didn't feel particularly hungry, and wanted to unpack some boxes in lieu of breakfast.

The thing is: for the last two weeks I have been eating something -- either a coconut-banana muffin or an egg -- within about an hour or two of waking. And today was the first time I didn't.

So by 9:45 I was gagging. Because the thing I was doing? It was working. But I'd stopped noticing that it was working, because I'd gotten used to it. So I was lamenting that the good habit I'd gotten into was doing what it should be. Herp derp.

Anyway, long story short: I got eggs and bacon from the cafe, and a peach. I wasn't hungry, but a peach is a good way to "prime the pump" so to speak; it's sweet, it's easy, it's got decent nutrition, and it told my stomach that it was okay to accept the eggs next. Which it did. Huzzah.

Here is what's working to reduce early pregnancy symptoms for me:

* Nausea - eating 1-2 hours upon waking. I have to wait a little bit because of my thyroid meds (my dose is calibrated for taking them on an empty stomach), but pretty much if I get about 200-300 calories of fat and protein, I'm good. I try to stay lower carb at breakfast. It makes it stick longer.

* Heartburn - two words: starch and cooked tomatoes. Anytime I've "cheated" with wheat or fried rice or marinara during the pregnancy, I'm destined to get a heartburn hit. Pizza is completely useless to me. I don't even crave it anymore.

* Sore boobs and constipation - I got nothin'. Though actually, the constipation hasn't been so bad lately. Maybe it's the kale salads I've been eating. (I love kale salads.)

Cravings have died back in the last week, and I'm back to eating mostly primaleo. My appetite has also reduced, which is nice. I generally eat salads and meat at lunch and something fleshy for dinner. Seafood is still piquing my interest.

Okay, just had to brain dump all that. Back to work and boxland.

Ugh nausea ugh. I need to make some more banana muffins. They just make life that much easier.

Ugh. :X <- that's my trying-not-to-gag face

Ugh nausea ugh. Oh wait, I already said that. :x

Morning nausea had me gagging into the sink. Afternoon nausea is like, "Ugh. I need to eat. Ugh. I don't want to eat." Then I eat, and it goes away. Hey body, what is the evolutionary advantage of this? BECAUSE I'M NOT SEEING IT.

Bacon and eggs for breakfast. I made a kick-ass stew last night in my pressure cooker, and I'm eating that for lunch. So good! So fast! Here's the recipe.

Beef Daube Provencal
    • 2-3 tsp olive oil
    • 12 garlic cloves, crushed
    • 2 lbs lean stew meat
    • 1 onion, chopped
    • 1 carrot, diced
    • 1 Tbs tomato paste
    • 1/2 cup bone broth
    • 1 cup red wine
    • 1 14 oz can chopped tomatoes in juice (do not drain)
    • 1 Tbs fresh rosemary, chopped
    • 1 Tbs fresh thyme, or a fat bundle, tied up
    • Dash of cloves
    • 1-2 bay leaves
    • 4 carrots, chunked
    • 1/4 pound green beans, chopped
    • 1 lb baby potatoes, quartered (optional)
    • Salt and pepper, to taste

1. Heat oil on low/medium-low in your dutch oven, and add the garlic. Cook until fragrant (about 5 minutes) and then remove with a slotted spoon. Add meat in batches, salt to taste, and brown as much as you care to, removing seared meat to a bowl and allowing the pot to heat up between batches.
    2. Add the onion and carrots, salt them a bit, and scrape up any of the crusty bits from the meat. Give them about five minutes to do this, then add the tomato paste and mix it up so the vegetables are evenly coated. Let this cook about a minute, then start dumping in other ingredients: the meat (and accumulated juices), garlic, tomatoes (with juice), broth, wine, rosemary, thyme, cloves, and bay leaves. Stir well to incorporate, then slap the pressure cooker lid on it and crank the heat up. When your regulator starts to wobble, reduce the heat so that it maintains without going nuts, and set a timer for 15 minutes.
    3. When the timer dings, release pressure however you like to do so (I carry my pressure cooker to the sink and run cold water over it), then return to the stove and add the carrots, green beans, and potatoes, if using. Stir to incorporate, put the lid on, bring up to pressure, and let cook 8 more minutes*.
    4. Remove from heat, release pressure, and serve.

* If you like firmer carrots and green beans, I'd adjust the initial timer up to 18 minutes, and set the second timer to 5 minutes. 8 was enough to soften the potatoes, but I actually thought my carrots and green beans could have used a little more "snap".

This is based on this recipe:
    Beef Daube Provenšal Recipe | MyRecipes.com

But adjusted slightly for the pressure cooker (not to mention the inclusion of green beans and potatoes, and the obvious omission of noodles).
    Last edited by onalark; 09-28-2012 at 01:45 PM.

Week twelve starts today. Next week another ultrasound. If all goes well, that'll be the start of trimester #2.

I'm still mildly nauseous, and it's actually become a bit more constant (extending beyond lunch). Aside from an initial gain of 6 pounds (which feels entirely in my BOOBS) I haven't gained any weight. I'm eating when I'm hungry and I'm not going crazy.

The bad food cravings have also, suddenly, gone away. Last week I wanted noodles and french fries and fried rice and sandwiches. This week I look at them and I'm all, "Eh." But then, come lunch time -- not much looks "good". Which isn't such a bad thing. I've been bringing in lunch and when I don't feel like eating it, I just remind myself that I don't feel like eating ANYTHING, then I get two bites in and I want it. So I'm saving money, and probably excess calories!

Fruit is damn delicious, though. Fruit never looks bad. Ever.

Other than that, we are still moving in and that's limiting my computer time. I'm also trying to hit the sack by 11 PM to get 8.5 hours at least. I probably need more. The fatigue is starting to set in.

Take care, MDA forums.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    As far as I know, boob-gain is pretty normal early on. But I don't really know

Eat ALL the fruit!

Sleep well.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    As far as I know, boob-gain is pretty normal early on. But I don't really know

Eat ALL the fruit!

Sleep well.
    Yep - I gained two cup sizes in pregnancy and then another one when my milk came in. Enjoy the fabulous rack and definitely get all the sleep you can.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

PrimalCon New York
    Thanks all. Sorry I haven't been around, and thanks for the encouragement. My husband is definitely enjoying the fabulous rack right now.

Page 33 of 41 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast