Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - onalark page 31

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's fancy ginger ale. With actual ginger in it. They boast "26 grams per bottle!" (17 grams in the regular, non-extra-strength version). Looking at their website, I see they also have a "nausea relief" version of their ginger ale...but I'm doing just fine with the extra ginger version, so I don't think I need the gimmick. Also, the one I usually buy was on sale at Sprouts. I picked up another four-pack.

The Mythbusters did an episode on nausea cures, and ginger turned out to be the only thing that had any measurable effect (on their admittedly limited test subject). I gotta say, even if it's a placebo, I don't care much...it works!

It's also full of sugar, and I know it, but that's pregnancy for ya.

There are ginger kombuchas out there, now that you mention it. Hmmmmmmm. Too bad 1 kombucha bottle = 2 bottles of Reeds. Dear heavens, kombucha is expensive.

I had one of these last week:

KeVita Probiotic Drinks |

It's...interesting. Tangy. Like yogurt. Not the same as kombucha, but similar in that it's a tart beverage. Also, they sweeten with stevia, so 10 calories per bottle (on the coconut flavor, at least) and 2g carb. I suspect because they aren't using a kombucha mother, they don't need to bother with sugar....

Today was dim sum at work. I admit I indulged. And am now paying for it. Hello, digestion. I've missed you! But not that much.

We went out for dinner and I put most of it in a to-go box. I ate the baked potato, though. The potato was all I wanted.

Tomorrow is my company's summer picnic. I am entering a pie contest. This is my pie:
    Sweet Twist of Blogging: Chocolate Salted Caramel Pie (ie.Best Pie EVER!)

Chances are I won't even get to eat my pie. But others will. Honestly, the super sweety sweets aren't calling to me this week. Just the potatoes.

This is dinner:
    Damn Fine Chicken | Nom Nom Paleo

With a tray of kabocha squash baked alongside it. Probably also some sliced tomatoes with sherry vinaigrette.

I've had a productive kitchen day, despite a short break to get our new appliances delivered at the new old house. I hit the farmer's market, made a batch of beef jerky, chopped up some melon, and I'll be starting up some dill pickles after dinner. Maybe also banana "bread" muffins. It would be nice to have something "easy" to eat in the morning, and since bananas seem to be doing me favors right now....

Unfortunately, I failed at getting breakfast today, and by the time Mr. Onalark got up I was so nauseous I couldn't boil water, much less make bacon and eggs (ugh). At some point during the slicing of the jerky, my brain went, "This is gross." and suddenly nothing sounded good. Eggs made me want to hurl. Bacon made me want to hurl. Even my beloved potatoes sounded nasty.

The solution was a blackberry smoothie and a ham and swiss sandwich from a local juice shop. I'm not going to frownie face over this fail; this is a lesson in "don't get hungry, Steph". There's a disparity in our wake up times on the weekends (I am a morning person, Mr. Onalark...er...is not) and I usually wait for him to wake up before I make breakfast, but that can be 3...4...hours after I'm up. Clearly, waiting that long is bad news. So I won't be doing that in the future. The smoothie (nothing but fruit and yogurt, near as I can tell) really did knock out the nausea very quickly. So maybe next time I'll make one of those.

In the "does this qualify as irony?" department -- my pie won first place. I won out over some stiff competition: four apple pies, a banana cream pie, and something that looked like a carrot cake pecan pie. I think I was the only gluten free pie. We are thinking about buying a meat grinder with the prize money. Aw yissss.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    MEAT GRINDER?!?!? So cool. Take pictures of it grinding meat. Better yet, take pictures of it grinding meat, and dress up as Mrs. Lovett.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    MEAT GRINDER?!?!? So cool. Take pictures of it grinding meat. Better yet, take pictures of it grinding meat, and dress up as Mrs. Lovett.
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA. I still haven't seen that movie (or the play), but I knew what you were talking about instantly.

I have a meat grinder already that I used once (it attaches to my Kitchenaid). Alas, it was a total bitch and a half to use and lately I'm thinking the hand-cranked ones might be better. The problem with them is that they need to clamp to a table, and Mr. Onalark has warned me that it will "ruin the table". Which is fine. We hate our table! Ha ha!

Mr. Onalark's dad hunts elk, and once a year spends a weekend grinding and sorting elk parts. So there's some family knowledge to act on there.

The banana-coconut muffins aren't bad. Smothered with sunflower butter, they're actually tasty. They stuck to my muffin tin, though, and it may be time to admit my muffin tin sucks when it comes to egg-heavy batters.

Jerky came out great, and now I have a giant bag for work without anything nasty in it. Saved money, too. Would have saved more if the meat had been on sale.

Nausea this morning, beaten back with a combination of a muffin and some Nancy's cultured cottage cheese, which is really the best thing ever, and no one can stop me from loving it.

The play is really, really excellent. First watched it (with Angela Lansbury and Georn Hearn, you can probably find a recording of this production somewhere) in high school Drama class. So much better than the film. Hearn has an amazing voice.

Silicone muffin "tins" are supposed to be super awesome, but I don't know if there's any chance of leaching chemicals and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    The play is really, really excellent. First watched it (with Angela Lansbury and Georn Hearn, you can probably find a recording of this production somewhere) in high school Drama class. So much better than the film. Hearn has an amazing voice.

Silicone muffin "tins" are supposed to be super awesome, but I don't know if there's any chance of leaching chemicals and whatnot.
    I think sometimes Angela needs to pull a Betty White and remind people of how awesome she is.

I've been thinking about the silicone muffin whatevers. And I have that gift certificate to Sur La Table. But...meat grinder!

Late night settling on carpet for the new old house. We got a sweet deal and the carpet will be going down on Weds., but it took two hours to wrangle and I was simultaneously starving and ready for bed by the time we finished.

So we went and had dinner at an Italian restaurant near our new digs, because we figured it's time to start feeling out the neighborhood. The meat carpaccio was excellent, and I had a seafood salad that was literally a pile of steamed calamari and shrimp on lettuce and veggies with an olive oil vinaigrette. Awesome.

Mr. Onalark had sliced sausage with peppers and onions and a side of steamed spinach. Also awesome. And 99% primaleo (I'm pretty sure there was a touch of sugar in the marinara)!

Banana muffin for breakfast with sunbutter, plus a few bites of cottage cheese. Also noticed one of my nectarines was going south, so I cut out the rotted part and ate the rest. Brought lunch today, but it's chicken, and I am not known for my chicken fondness.

Tomorrow's the big appointment. I'm not nervous, just...waiting. I had a dream that it all went well and we got a heartbeat, but that's dreamtime for you. Who knows what's actually waiting down there.

Good luck!

I need to try this sunbutter stuff. How does it compare to peanut or almond butter? Those are the only other 'butters I've tried (' meaning not dairy butter).

Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast