Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - onalark page 3

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by WinkBlu View Post
    Congratulations on your upcoming nuptuals!!
    Thank you! I am trying not to be too stressed about them, and I'm really not all that stressed at all because my worklife is all about organization and planning. This is just more of the same.

I know your feelings about your kitty. Last year my son and I had to put our kitty to sleep. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done. But we did it together, and we held him and we cried, and we laughed about the crazy things he did. The vet was awesome and let us take him home to bury in our yard.
    Much of the sadness has now abated. I still miss her like crazy. The other cats are good cats, but she was mine and I was hers.

We have noted that our little Russian Blue mutt has turned into a more insistent, vocal cat since she's been gone. So that's the silvery cat lining out of all this. He finally gets his chance to be "my" cat.

Sounds like your nutrition and workouts are right on track! Nice job
    Thank you. I still have a bit of a battle with the hypothyroid, but I'm feeling great and I have noted a lot less mental "body hate" since I started this. So much of the daily depression and self-defeat is now a thing of the past. I was always angry at myself whenever I cheated on my diets, or angry at my body when it didn't respond to the latest attempt to shed weight. I've hit a happy point, and while I do really want to hit my goal weight, I'm comfortable in my own skin for the first time in a long while, and it's great.

Thanks for stopping by!

5/14

Today is semi-cheat, though everything I eat will be primal. I'm just going to indulge in a few more carbs than usual.

Bought some beautiful ribeyes at Trader Joe's, stocked up on a gazillion eggs, and I'm going to roast half a turkey breast and a chicken in an hour. Wanted to get some rays today, but the sun, she is not cooperating. Tomorrow, I hope!

Food
    • Breakfast - Skipped and got a massage instead!
    • Brunch - 3 scrambled eggs with butter and cream, 1 gluten-free cinnamon muffin, 1 gluten-free chocolate chip cookie, and 5 strawberries. 1 cup of coffee + cream and stevia.
    • Afternoon snack - Chicken liver, heart, onions, butter, brandy, and a chopped egg. Really sort of a light lunch.
    • Dinner - Here comes the cheat! Artichoke-spinach dip with corn chips, barbeque beef ribs, and a hot fudge sundae. Yum yum!

Exercise
    Day off. Did get a 90 minute massage though!
    Last edited by onalark; 05-15-2011 at 12:51 PM.

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    Thank you. I still have a bit of a battle with the hypothyroid, but I'm feeling great and I have noted a lot less mental "body hate" since I started this. So much of the daily depression and self-defeat is now a thing of the past. I was always angry at myself whenever I cheated on my diets, or angry at my body when it didn't respond to the latest attempt to shed weight. I've hit a happy point, and while I do really want to hit my goal weight, I'm comfortable in my own skin for the first time in a long while, and it's great.
    I really like this! You made me realize that I am feeling better in my body too. I have a lot that I want to lose, and even though I still get impatient, I don't feel that self-loathing that usually meant a cookie binge, and then more self-loathing, and then, of course, the end of any diet. Now, despite the occasional impatience, I find that a slip up is no more than a blip. Last weekend's Mother's day stress binge wasn't even really a huge binge, first of all, and second of all, I just went right back to eating the primal way the next day. I think this change in my diet was as much for my mental health as my physical health.
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Quote Originally Posted by lucyh View Post
    Last weekend's Mother's day stress binge wasn't even really a huge binge, first of all, and second of all, I just went right back to eating the primal way the next day. I think this change in my diet was as much for my mental health as my physical health.
    Yes.

THIS.

(Er, THAT.)

I actually didn't eat any of the "goodies" at Mother's Day brunch, but I did go a little crazy with the fruit. And I gained a half pound or so, but it was like -- meh. It came off a couple days later. It's such a relief it's ridiculous.

If I could somehow get that across to the people who give me wary looks when I say I don't eat grains...I think I could convince 'em that maybe, juuuust maybe, I'm not crazy after all.
    Last edited by onalark; 05-15-2011 at 12:43 PM.

5/15

We saw Thor and it was pretty much everything I wanted out of a movie with the god of thunder beating shit up with a hammer. Loved it, and loved the Renner cameo. Thoooooor!

So I had a net gain of .2 lbs this week, but there are three factors going on here that I have to keep in mind: 1) my period has started (as much as it can start on Seasonique) 2) I added weights to my MWF workout (more muscle) and 3) my "cheat day" last week was Sunday, not Saturday. So I suspect I would be at a lower weight if I had "cheated" on Sunday, and can I just say I don't like the word "cheat"? Eating a hot fudge sundae on very rare occasions is not cheating. It's life. And life is delicious.

Anyway, I expect to be at 156 by this time next week. Let's see if life makes me a liar!

Food
    • Breakfast - The morning scramble: eggs, leeks, bacon, chicken, parsley, zuchinni. (Using up CSA goodies.) 2 cups of coffee with stevia and cream.
    • Lunch - Not really. Had a hard-boiled egg and another two primal cookies. We are officially kicking them out of the building after today as it's clear I cannot control myself around really good cookies.
    • Dinner - Ribeye and a ridiculously big salad as we're trying to use up the last of the CSA veggies. 10g dark chocolate, and tea with cream and stevia.

Exercise
    Walked .5 miles down to the beach and got ten minutes of sun on both sides (pretty much all I can do without turning into a lobster). Bacteria levels in the water prevented us from going in; too bad, so sad.

Lifted the hell out of some heavy groceries (water bottles, propane tank, new smoker for my grill) and bags of trash. A very relaxing and successful day!
    Last edited by onalark; 05-15-2011 at 08:29 PM.

5/16

Started a batch of sauerkraut and pickled beets last night. Didn't know I wasn't supposed to open the jars for three days until after I'd opened them this morning. Whoops!

(I'll know soon enough if the batches are ruined. Adventures in whey fermentation!)

Feeling bloaty and slow today. I blame my period. It's easy to blame, and it doesn't seem to mind, so blameblameblame.

My base tan is starting. 10 minutes on each side was just right. Will repeat again next Sunday.

Food
    • Breakfast - Morning Scramble: sausage, spinach, mushrooms, peppers, eggs, 1/4 avocado. 12 oz Coffee + cream + stevia.
    • Lunch - Leftover primal hamburger helper (GF ground beef, coconut oil, coconut flour, chard, sweet potato, carrot, onions, spices)
    • Dinner - 1/2 lb GF burger with bacon garnish (bacon, mushrooms, onions, rosemary), salad with egg, avocado, radish, tomatoes, olive oil and vinegar. 4 oz red wine, 10g dark chocolate, and 1 shot scotch + club soda.

Exercise
    Did not get in my lunges yet; may do so at lunch when I do HIIT. Assuming I do HIIT. I'm enervated and bloaty and I don't feel like doing much other than working and napping.

• 20 x glute activations
    • 15 x bird dogs
    • 20 x crunches
    • 20 x reverse crunches
    • 20 x squats @ 35 lb
    • 20 x modified pushups
    • 3 x 20 reps kettlebells @ 35 lbs
    Last edited by onalark; 05-17-2011 at 11:25 AM.

5/17

Still feeling like a beached sea lion. I say sea lion because I can always waddle back into the water if I really wanna.

Pounding headache and aching other parts. I really hate this time of the month. BUT...this is actually an improvement. I know, shocker. Looking forward to it being over so I can get back to losing weight.

Did not do HIIT yesterday (or my lunges) because I just felt terrible. I rested. I think it was right.

Food
    • Breakfast - 2 eggs, 2 oz center cut boneless porkchop with 5 spice powder and boquet garni, zucchini and onions. All cooked in...GHEEEEEE.
    • Lunch - Chick-Fil-A grilled chicken salad with extra chicken. It was very salty and meh.
    • Afternoon snack - 5 marcona almonds
    • Dinner - 1 cold chicken drumstick (cartilage - yum!), 1 CSA apple (couldn't resist), and about 3/4 cup of some of the "CSA soup" I made from last basket's leftovers while I washed and trimmed this week's haul. That homemade stock from a few weeks ago is lip-smackingly good.
    • Post-Dinner - 10g 82% cacao chocolate.

Post-script for today: according to Daily Burn I'm waaaay under my calorie limit...but I'm really not hungry. Someday I will get over this, I know, but I remain amazed at just how filling fat can be.

Exercise
    Day off.
    Last edited by onalark; 05-17-2011 at 10:19 PM.

5/18

Feeling better today. Less bloaty, and the scale reflected it. Yay!

Today is the day of truth for my pickles. I look forward to going home and finding out if I have sauerkraut or a stinkbomb on my hands. Also, our CSA dropped a giant cucumber bomb on me, so I'm going to try and turn that into a pickle, too (not really super-fond of cukes in salad and haven't bothered to stir-fry them).

Thinking about switching out stevia for honey. I don't eat a ton of carbs, and I limit myself to one cup of coffee a day, which is where the stevia's been going. That'll be next week's experiment.

Food
    • Breakfast - 2 eggs, 2 oz center cut boneless porkchop with 5 spice powder and boquet garni, onions, peppers, mushrooms, ghee. 16 oz coffee with cream and stevia.
    • Lunch - Lamb kebab and salad. There was yogurty sauce drizzled over the salad and on the meat, but ah well.
    • Afternoon snack - 5 marcona almonds.
    • Dinner - 7 oz lamb burger with herbed compound butter, and BAS with egg, avocado, orange, kohlrabi, radish, tomato, olive oil, and balsamic. 4 oz wine.
    • Post-dinner snack - 1 Tbs almond butter and 5g dark chocolate

Was still hungry after dinner, so added the almond butter. Might have been today's workout, or PMS, or solar rays.

Exercise
    The MWF routine. I intend to do HIIT on Friday, as on Saturday I'll be going to my first Crossfit class!

• 20 x glute activations
    • 15 x pointing bird dog pose thing
    • 3 x 20 reps kettlebell swings @ 35 lbs
    • 20 x crunches
    • 20 x reverse crunches
    • 15 x modified pushups
    • 5 x regular pushups
    • 10 x lunges @ 10 lbs
    • 10 x raised lunges @ 10 lbs
    • 20 x squats @ 35 lbs
    Last edited by onalark; 05-18-2011 at 10:32 PM.

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    April 30th was rough. I got my teeth drilled, then I took my 15-year-old cat to the vet and we put her to sleep. She was my best friend and companion and I miss her. I am glad I was there in the end. I am glad I got to say goodbye.

Food
    • Breakfast - Sausage and egg scrambled with peppers, onions, mushrooms and spinach. 1 cup of coffee.
    • Lunch - Went to Nick's in San Clemente. Ate the avocado-tomato-tuna salad sandwich sans bread and cheese. The tuna had a really good herb mayo and grapes slivered in! It also came with a wonderful side of roasted vegetables. When we'd finished eating, I built a replica of the Leaning Tower of Pisa out of our leftover bread.
    • Afternoon snack - 10g 85% cacao chocolate
    • Dinner - Total cheat because...goddamn, I loved that cat. Shared penne bolognese and cream-sauced tortellini with myMike. Ate bread. Had a bacon-sundae dessert. Drank white wine and, later, a portion of lambic. Did not feel a lick of guilt.

Exercise
    Got home from eating ourselves silly and walked walked walked! The beach is less than 5 minutes walking distance from our home, so we walked almost to the pier and back. Google maps tells me it's 3.2 miles.

We talked about wonderful pets and how much better we feel not eating grains (despite having just consumed a meal full of them). myMike also said he's more comfortable now with going primal, so yay! No more beans except when we want to.

Hi there Onalark,
    I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty. We put down my "baby" a month ago - he would have turned 20 on June 11, so I'd had him my whole adult life. They really do break our hearts, don't they?? Any "cheats" today on this day do not count!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oh, they count, they're just instantly forgiven.

And I still miss her. (sigh) A damn fine cat.

Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast