Page 27 of 41 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - onalark page 27

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    WoooooooHoooooooo! The old fashioned way is always the best.
    Yeah...so, we were planning on trying again, we just didn't think it would be so fast. Hah! So a surprise, but in a good way? Still totally shocked at just how well my BC has apparently been working all these years. :3

I've been craving seafood lately too and I'm not even incubating. I think something about hot weather makes the lighter stuff more appealing. I used to love pea soup back in pre-primal times. The only decent canned one around is Progresso.
    Pea Soup Andersen's (don't know if you remember the restaurants in San Diego) is still stocked on the shelves at Albertson's, and it's not bad. Crazy high in sodium (not that I care much), but the ingredients otherwise look decent. That's what I eat when I can't eat my own.

I've had to tell Kombucha that it wasn't him it was me and the relationship just wasn't working. Sad breakup.
    If you are ranting about Ray Peat or one of his pet parrots, rant away. Eat sugar, it makes your body temp go up so it must be good for you. Yeahright.
    Kombucha's delicious, but it's not really doing me any favors. Maybe if I were on a round of antibiotics I could justify it, but it's just sugar with some healthful pro-biotics which I can get from yogurt if I want it. I stick to water most of the time, but every now and then I succumb.

Re: the rant...oh, well, if you insist.

As for the parrots: it's one of Matt Stone's disciples, but Matt's cribbing from Ray Peat, so same-same. She's a popular WAPF blogger who's boasting about Stone's protocol helping her temp go up, even though it's also caused her to gain 20 (unwanted) pounds.

So, I don't eat WAPF, I eat primaleo most of the time, and in the 3 times we "tried", I got knocked up twice. Not that the third time was trying the way other times were trying...but I digress. That percentage success rate is pretty high for an older woman. And yeah, maybe it's an anomaly. Maybe it was total luck of the draw, or genetics, or solar rays. But maybe it also has something to do with me putting nutrient dense foods into my diet, and reducing crap that doesn't do me any favors (grains, sugar, spelt muffins). I was faithfully doing a Whole 30 when we got the news.

My body temp has never been high, either. I'm always around 97.3 or 97.4. And hey, you know what affects that? Hormones. You know what jacks up your hormones? Massive amounts of sugar.

It's also worthwhile to note that she claims to have a thyroid condition (me too! me too!). She also claims to be controlling it "naturally". No comment there.

She wants a kid, and I get that, and I know if I was 44 and wanting another one I'd probably be grasping at diet straws, too. Maybe she'll get lucky. But I think if she does, it's going to be in spite of her diet, not because of it.

That would be challenging. I hope that gets resolved soon.
    Turned out to be a cracked, above-ground PVC pipe. Easy fix. We have to wait for the epoxy to set, and then we get our showers back.

So I made these on Saturday:
    Cocotte Eggs with Creamed Mushrooms (PDF file)

And there was one left over that I reheated this morning. You cook the eggs individually in ramekins, so everything's perfectly portioned out. I was a little nervous about how well it was going to reheat but...I think it was actually better TODAY than it was on Saturday. Yum yum.

I subbed a few things in the recipe, simply because I didn't have them and didn't want to buy them. Cheddar for gruyere and sherry for cognac, and of course no bread. Instead I cooked sausage patties and we dipped those in the stuff. Really delicious.

Alterations for next time: well, I probably won't bother with the cognac, but I do think the gruyere would be better than cheddar. I may also try broiling them instead of steaming in the ramekins. We'll see. Definitely a great little breakfast for the workweek.

And this morning...exercise! I did 30 (girly) pushups, 50 squats, 2 minutes of on-my-knees planks, and 20 bicep curls @ 8#. Hooray!

My house is full of boxes. So, so many boxes.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    30 pushups of any kind is amazing to me! And the squats! I'm at like 5/15 respectively.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    30 pushups of any kind is amazing to me! And the squats! I'm at like 5/15 respectively.
    Thank you for the encouragement! Maybe you're one of them fast twitchy people? As for me: I suspect if I were a fantasy race, I'd probably be a dwarf. -_-

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    It's a draw between raw oysters and lobster. I think if someone put a plate of both in front of me and asked me to pick, I'd...suckerpunch them and run off with both. :3
    Oooow interesting choices....and as you run away you hear them shout "Whhhhhy" to which you turn and reply "you know why"

On the exercise front, well done. Are you following Marks LHT programme? And mega congrats on the conception....practice makes perfect. Id keep practicing though, just to make really sure (such a guy comment, im sure ur fella will agree with me though).

Richard
    Last edited by Richardmac; 08-21-2012 at 04:39 AM.
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Richardmac View Post
    Oooow interesting choices....and as you run away you hear them shout "Whhhhhy" to which you turn and reply "you know why"
    Probably more like, "MMfffmffmffffmmff!" ...cuz I'd have a mouthful of seafood at that point. :3

On the exercise front, well done. Are you following Marks LHT programme? And mega congrats on the conception....practice makes perfect. Id keep practicing though, just to make really sure (such a guy comment, im sure ur fella will agree with me though).
    Yeah, I've decided that since life is a little crazy right now, it's better to do the "easier" routine than try and get in three days of heavy lifts. I need to do something, and I need to start now.

My upper body is all like lol you exercised. And so are my glutes. Hooray! Success!

Nausea this morning, which is strangely welcome. I can't help but be nervous about the lack of symptoms, though I do not miss the heart palpitations NO I DO NOT. I also do not miss the heartburn (NO I DO NOT). I really also should make an effort to go to bed earlier, because I am now waking up pretty much every night either to pee or talk to the imaginary ninjas coming through my closet door.

I made chuck steak in the water bath of glory. 10 hours on 134 F and oh my. Just like ribeye! Delicious! Served with a simple salad of cherry tomatoes and cucumber, and pan-roasted mushrooms. Slap yo' mama good!

I dunked in some chicken legs last night, and we'll be having those for dinner with sauteed red cabbage. I am salivating just thinking about it.

I am making a batch of sourdough from sorghum flour. Yes yes. Not primal. But if I'm going to be puking in the next few weeks, I want good bread to eat without paying $8 a loaf for some sort of manufactured GF crap. I'll let you know if my adventures in gluten-free sourdough are successful or not. Here is the source for my recipe:

Sourdough Starter, Gluten-Free (edited 3/22/12)

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    If Marks LHT is the easy programme. What's the hard version?

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

If Marks LHT is the easy programme. What's the hard version?
    Oh, you know. 120# back squats, 70# push presses, 60# bench presses, that sort of thing.

I consider Mark's "easy to get around to", not necessarily "easy to do". I can hop out of bed and bust out some push-ups and squats. Lifting requires me to make time at work (to get down to the weight room), swap in and out weights, change clothes, all those fun things.

We have a pull-up bar, but it got disassembled for purposes of moving. I'll probably have it back early October. I would love my own sets of barbells and weights and racks, but they're not exactly in the budget at the moment, and even on Craigslist they're still pretty dear.

Paleobird Guest
    Yeah, I sometimes bust out an LHT in segments throughout the day in between doing other things. A random set of push ups on the counter while waiting for the microwave, squats while on hold on the phone, etc.

Page 27 of 41 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast