Page 25 of 41 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - onalark page 25

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for being concerned about my cat, spambot. She died a year ago, though, and that was kind of a red flag. :P

I overcooked my chicken legs. They weren't inedible, but they had the consistency of stew meat. Next time less cooking!

Otherwise pretty normal but hectic and draining day. Have learned that sunbutter kills my chocolate craving. Good to know.

I succeeded in making delicious fish...by drowning it in Thai curry.

Basically, rubbed some cod filets with yellow curry paste and coconut oil, broiled those, then served them in a coconut milk sauce to which I had added green curry paste, two keffir leaves, and a touch of fish sauce. This with green beans, lime-pickled red onions, chopped scallion, lime wedges, and cauliflower "rice" made for an excellent meal.

No photos, alas. It was pretty ugly stuff. But we liked it! Hooray!

avocadogirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    I succeeded in making delicious fish...by drowning it in Thai curry.

Basically, rubbed some cod filets with yellow curry paste and coconut oil, broiled those, then served them in a coconut milk sauce to which I had added green curry paste, two keffir leaves, and a touch of fish sauce. This with green beans, lime-pickled red onions, chopped scallion, lime wedges, and cauliflower "rice" made for an excellent meal.

No photos, alas. It was pretty ugly stuff. But we liked it! Hooray!
    I tend to like my fish in creamy sauces, too. The coconut curry sauce sounds delicious. I keep hearing of this cauliflower "rice".

Quote Originally Posted by avocadogirl View Post
    I tend to like my fish in creamy sauces, too. The coconut curry sauce sounds delicious. I keep hearing of this cauliflower "rice".
    In no way could you mistake it for rice...but it soaks up sauces well. And it's a great way to get some veggies in without having to eat Yet Another Salad.

Basic idea is here:

Chinese Pork Fried F’rice | theclothesmakethegirl

I beat up a head of cauliflower in my food processor until it's "ricelike". I usually have to do it in 4-5 batches, dumping completed batches in a glass bowl as I go. Then I pop it in the microwave for 5-8 minutes to dry it out, stirring once or twice during the process.

Meeeanwhile, I heat up some fat in a big pan, add some minced onion or shallot (we did shallots last night), sautee until translucent, and then dump in the cauliflower and stir a bunch. I try to caramelize it a little. If I know it's going to be used strictly for an Asian-style meal, I'll anoint it with a bit of coconut aminos or tamari. Otherwise, I just salt it.

And that's it. I've doctored it up like cous-cous, too -- bit of chicken broth, some chopped dried fruit, garlic, and toasted pistachios or pine nuts at the end. It's a blank canvas. It's really, really boring on its own, but if you're feeling saucy, it makes for a nice bed.

We went to Disneyland yesterday and holy crow there was a lot of walking. I ate a little wheat, and a lot of seafood because Disneyland food is actually pretty awesome if you know where to look.

Also tested the theory that I've become less susceptible to sunburn and hooray! I didn't burn one bit. I walked around in full sunlight with no hat, short sleeves, and I am magically burn-free. Primal victory! I am guessing it's all the Vitamin-D and sat fat. I guess? I honestly don't know. I just know I don't burn like I used to.

Today we're going to the beach and eating brats. I think I'm going to go throw a tri-tip in the waterbath of glory for our dinner tomorrow night. Yum.

Great extended weekend with the in-laws. Finished it out with a meal of tri-tip, salad, and baby potatoes. Back to potato-less eating tomorrow.

Feeling good, and feel like tomorrow I may be able to start exercising again. Work is still...hectic. But hopefully not so bad I can't take 20 minutes to exercise.

Oh, and I'm pregnant again.

Yeah, that was fast.

Eggs for breakfast, sausage with green beans and sauce for lunch. Dinner? Hell if I know.

So far no major symptoms than nausea in the morning. I think most of the more egregious stuff started around 6 weeks anyway, so I have one more week of feeling "normal" before...I don't. Fingers crossed for that double-bladed fate.

avocadogirl is offline Senior Member
    I'm keeping everything crossed for you. Fingers, toes, eyes! Whatever it takes. I'm sending you lots of good thoughts!

I've also gotten more sun this summer and no burns. I'm limiting it to 30-40 minutes a day without sunscreen.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by avocadogirl View Post
    I'm keeping everything crossed for you. Fingers, toes, eyes! Whatever it takes. I'm sending you lots of good thoughts!

I've also gotten more sun this summer and no burns. I'm limiting it to 30-40 minutes a day without sunscreen.
    Thank you, thank you. We are cautiously optimistic. And a little shocked. We were not trying this time; it just happened how it happened. o_o

Page 25 of 41 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast