Page 23 of 41 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - onalark page 23

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    purple sweet potatoes? I've only heard of regular purple potatoes! They're my favorite.
    Okinawa sweets! They are wunderbar. It seems like they have less moisture than orange sweets, so they stay nice and firm. I think we get them here in Cali because there are a lot of Hawaiians living in these parts. They're hard to find in boring grocery stores; I go to the Asian markets to buy them.

Other things I've done with purple sweets is peel, cube, toss with a lot of oil, and cook in a hot oven until crispy. Then I use them as croutons. Awesomesauce.

avocadogirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    Yup. I am totes ovulating. The LH strip does not lie.

Made some ridiculously ugly meatballs for dinner, so not going to post the photos here. Too bad something so ugly tasted so good. Trader Joe's has a marinara in a can that doesn't have a single offensive ingredient. Tastes great, cheap as hell, I'll take twenty!

Finally, this was breakfast:

Purple Sweet Potato Hash by fivebyevif, on Flickr

And lo, it was good.
    Yeay for ovulating!! are you temping every day? I temped and tracked.

I had no idea transitioning to primal could mess with cycles. I'm experiencing that myself.

I also love that same marinara from TJs. For the kids, it goes over rice pasta or even rice, and I take it over squash or zucchini.

Greats pics!!! I want to make that sweet potato hash like now! Yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by avocadogirl View Post
    Yeay for ovulating!! are you temping every day? I temped and tracked.

I had no idea transitioning to primal could mess with cycles. I'm experiencing that myself.
    I temped every day when we were TTC, and need to get back into the swing of it. Actually, I feel like primal normalized my period. Which is nice! I like being able to get through a period without feeling like someone's grabbed a hold of my ovaries and twisted!

I had an early miscarriage (8 weeks) at the start of July, which is why I've been testing with the LH strips. Trying to pinpoint when my body's going to go back to "normal" (in the non-pregnant sense). Based on last night's LH test strip and the lack of anemia, I think "normal" is now.

Quote Originally Posted by avocadogirl View Post
    I also love that same marinara from TJs. For the kids, it goes over rice pasta or even rice, and I take it over squash or zucchini.

Greats pics!!! I want to make that sweet potato hash like now! Yesterday!
    It was yummy. Thanks! And yes, that marinara is great!

No time for breakfast this morning, so I skipped it. Nice to be able to do that! Inadvertent IF is inadvertent!

Lunch was taco salad -- sans taco shell, rice, beans, sour cream, cheese...basically just a pile of lettuce and salsa and meat. Then I had the same thing for dinner, and a banana mid-day for the heck of it. GO ME.

Busy work day. Lots o' stress. Home soon.

Did I mention my sunbutter attempt was a total failure? Well, it was. Oh well. Guess I keep ponying up for the stuff in a jar.

Tonight's (first) sous vide attempt is a pair of double-thick pork chops. Looking forward to see how they turn out.

Sweet potato hash for breakfast, Thai chicken for lunch. I actually had to get the chicken boxed up (!!!) because I was full about 2/3rds of the way through. Hunh.

My jeans fit again without a struggle, which is a mighty good thing. Now I just need to get knocked up again, and grow out of them. Again. :P

But on the bright side: I have a diet plan to follow post-pregnancy that I feel fairly confident will help me lose the weight. The first week is annoying, but after that you get used to it, and then your pants fit again. Yay!

First sous vide dinner was a success. Pork chop was juicy and delicious. Husband (who grew up partially in Iowa, and knows a thing or two about swine preparation) is enthusiastic for newfangled kitchen device.

Pork Chop Sous Vide by fivebyevif, on Flickr

I may need to get a kitchen torch, though. Searing was definitely the least fun part of this process.

These were double-thick chops, and honestly, I couldn't finish mine. I wound up putting away half of it.

I'm going to do one more "expensive" cut of meat (a steak I picked up at the local gourmet meat market) and then turn to cheaper cuts, which is the whole reason I bought this contraption. I can sear a steak without too much fuss on a weeknight. Give me some lamb shanks or pork shoulder cooked to tender deliciousness, and we'll call this thing a success.

And yeah...I know...crockpot. I am about to make a bold confession: for the most part, I hate crockpot food. It always tastes so...drab. And overcooked. I wish I loved it. I could save a lot of time if I did. Alas, I do not.
    Last edited by onalark; 07-27-2012 at 09:49 PM.

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    Why did I never think about ovulating??? *looks down at tummy-was that your freaking problem!!!??*

Glad you are feeling better! Its nice to get back to normal. It looks like the sous-vide is working out nicely.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylee99 View Post
    Why did I never think about ovulating??? *looks down at tummy-was that your freaking problem!!!??*
    I bought these a while back:
    Amazon.com: 50 Ovulation Prediction Strips & 20 Pregnancy Test Strips: Health & Personal Care

I still have several of the LH strips, because after a month or two it became reeeeeally obvious when my body was ovulating.

TMI WARNING TIME! (Not to squick anyone out, but there's a lot of extra cervical fluid when I ovulate, and I have to laugh a little at the fact that it took me HOW MANY YEARS?? to figure out the two were related.) END OF TMI WARNING TIME!

I noticed the same body clues a few days ago, did some LH tests, and the third one showed up positive. So I'm ovulating. Or have ovulated. This is a case where the strips were really handy. I just wasn't sure what was going on, post-miscarriage. Having that little test to confirm my suspicions was very reassuring.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylee99 View Post
    Glad you are feeling better! Its nice to get back to normal. It looks like the sous-vide is working out nicely.
    Yes. It is really, really nice to be back to normal. Maybe I'll even get around to finally making that kimchi I meant to make last week.... :3

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    Thank you for posting the link! I ordered a set, maybe they'll explain my super moody-pissed off state, lol! After doing the Whole30 I don't want sweets (which was my usual "sign"), now I'm just cranky. (Assuming that I am ovulating and not some weird hormonal insane leftover-ness).

oooooo kimchi! I'm making coconut kefir...er...as soon as I find some kefir grains. Which, I think I finally found a store but its only open Mon-Fri so *sigh* have to wait two more days.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

avocadogirl is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I'm so very sorry about your miscarriage. (((hugs))) I have two boys now, but I had a missed miscarriage at 11 weeks before my first son and two miscarriages between my first and second successful pregnancy. I am sorry you had to go through it. I temped and tracked for a couple of years trying to get preggers. My miscarriages were related to my autoimmune issues.

My cycle seems to have lengthened on primal though this is only my second cycle. They seem to be about 3-4 days longer. But I'm still breastfeeding my 13 month old so it can be wacky while nursing.

Those pork chops look fantastic!!

Page 23 of 41 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast