Page 21 of 41 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - onalark page 21

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    And along came dinner.

Tri-Tip, grilled zucchini, and bloody mary salad by fivebyevif, on Flickr

These are going to be some pretty awesome leftovers. Recipe is the "Cardiff Crack" from the Primal Blueprint Cookbook. Which is actually a really good cookbook, and I speak as someone who is a cookbook connoisseur and who thought Cordain's cookbook sucked.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    technically the red wine isn't "Whole30 Friendly" but on this, the Whole9 can suck it. There. I said it. I am not going to feel guilty about a red wine marinade. -_-

I would say I'm 98% today. By the end of the week, I should be ready once more for long walks and short sprints.
    Well said. And the tri tip came out looking lovely. Nice roasted zucchini too. My neighbors are resorting to the stealth attacks of leaving bags of zucchini on the doorknob or sending their adorable 7 year old son over to give us stuff. Can't turn down that angelic face.

98% is damn good. Be gentle with yourself until you are 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Well said. And the tri tip came out looking lovely. Nice roasted zucchini too. My neighbors are resorting to the stealth attacks of leaving bags of zucchini on the doorknob or sending their adorable 7 year old son over to give us stuff. Can't turn down that angelic face.
    I need those neighbors. I really like zucchini, and can never seem to buy enough. It's like green beans -- one of those friendly vegetables that pairs so well with darn near anything.

Also: thanks!

Breakfast of 3.75 oz tritip in a Pure Wrap. Almost through the iron pills, which means almost through the OJ. Which means maybe my digestion will get back to normal. :P

Sleepy today, and feeling a touch headachy. Got plenty of sleep so not sure what's up other than lingering exhaustion and work stress.

Aaaaand off to the first round of work-related meetings.

Last of the iron pills! Hooray!

Today I just ate tritip, no wrap. Tritip: it's good all on its own.

I also started a massive Thai green curry beef stew for dinner. I love this stuff. Spicy and creamy, awww yeaaaah.

Also...magical mystery money showed up yesterday and when I added it up I realized it equaled a sous vide machine. So...I'm buying one. Exciting!

It's rant time.

I have a friend. She has Type II diabetes. She has had TIID for about a decade. Over time, her medications have been adjusted and increased, and every time there's a serious change in her schedule of injections and pills, she starts to grumble about it across the social medium networks we both partake in.

The most recent round of new injections has led to a new round of grumbles about how her blood sugar is all over the place, and she doesn't understand it even after eating "just a sandwich".

About 6 months ago, I suggested a diet change. I got ignored. Loudly. And this friend of mine, I love her. In a completely friendly and platonic way, I love her. She is my friend and we've been through a ton; we've worked the same crappy job, lived in the same crappy house together, been friends forever. But I cannot tell her, "You know what might help? NOT EATING THE FUCKING BREAD."

There's always the possibility that, in her various websearches, she'll find this post. I've used the "onalark" moniker on more than one site, and we're both very active online. She'll probably be angry at me if she finds it, and I don't CARE. I just want her to TRY IT, but I know if I directly suggest it I'll get ignored (loudly) or possibly even yelled at. After all, I was the one who told her years and years ago I thought she was diabetic and needed to see a doctor, and she was the one who told me to mind my own fucking business.

So I am trying to. I am trying very hard. But I need to vent or I'm going to explode all over her Facejournals. And as she is my friend, and I know it would be useless and possibly even counterproductive and borderline offensive to her, I am being quiet. But I don't want to be quiet. I want her to be healthy. I just want her to TRY PALEO. Just 30 days.

But I can't change people, and I know that, I'm old enough to know that, but if I could abduct one person and force them to eat meat and veggies for a month, she'd be the one.

/rant over.
    Last edited by onalark; 07-19-2012 at 10:44 AM.

Breakfast is just going to be tritip forever from now on. Man it's good.

Was sooo tempted to go jump on the scale, because I'm already starting to feel less bloaty after four days of paleonoms. But no. I'll wait out the full 30. I'll be good.

Will be doing lunch at a local burger joint, and dinner I think is a sweet potato and more ground beef. I swear I will eat something other than red meat soon...ish. Oh ruminants, why can't I quit you?

No more iron pills. Back to folate/Vit-D/kelp/selenium only. Still headachy, and still somewhat exhausted. Would love to not have to take Advil and Excedrin every day. I think the weekend will do me good. Mr. Onalark suggested it might be the diet change, and maybe he's right, but I know this, too, shall pass. May need to schedule a massage to make sure it does.

The last of the tritip is in my belly. Well, by this point it's probably in my intestines...but I digress.

Workstress continues. Had to skip the big department event today because of my team's commitments. Oh well. Thus is life.

No idea about lunch or dinner. At this point, I'll be lucky just to get home on time. I guess it's fair to say I'm back to 100% at this point, because if this had happened a week ago I'd probably be collapsed on a couch somewhere right 'bout now.

This morning I had a braindead moment and started my Keurig coffee machine before I'd put a cup under it. There is about a 5 second "grace period" while it chambers the water and prepares to make the coffee; I don't think I've ever moved faster from machine->cupboard->machine. Does that count as a sprint? :P

I would love a steak for dinner. And a glass of wine. I picked the wrong month to do a Whole30...but it's always the wrong month 'round here.

Why yes. I'm at work. On a beautiful Saturday. While the Ocean Festival is going on. Why do you ask?

Soooo anyway. Last night got home at...8:30, I think. We tromped out to a local Mexican joint but honestly, I wasn't too hungry. That's the great thing about eating strictly paleo: hunger pangs vanish if you do it right. I nibbled on my steak and guac, ate some salsa and shrimp, looked longingly at the basket of chips, and probably downed two tumblers of ice water.

This morning I made sausage hash (sausage, sweet potatoes, onions, peppers, thyme, bacon grease, eggs) and now I'm at work, sipping coffee and making the donuts (except I don't actually make donuts -- I just make sure the donuts get made) (also, they're not donuts, they're online games).

Pulled the trigger on a sous vide machine and a vac sealer. I am dreaming of 48 hour short ribs. I am really, really hoping this thing lives up to its promises. If it does, life could be magical and full of joy. If it doesn't, I have an expensive way to make yogurt. Cheers!

Back at work. Ate more sweet potato hash for breakfast (this time with purple potatoes!) and drank some fresh-squeezed tangelo juice from the farmer's market. It was novel and delicious, and I will never need to buy it again.

We celebrated a friend's birthday last night at a local restaurant; I had a side salad, short ribs, and grilled asparagus (basically: what I eat nearly every night for dinner), everyone else had starchy starch starchness and at the end of the meal were gratefully bemoaning the fullness of their bellies. Another side effect of being strictly paleo: no feeling like I need to be "rolled to my car".

We saw the latest Batman movie, which was awesome, and when I got home at nearly 1 AM I scarfed down some ribs that were in my fridge; I guess the short rib didn't really "stay" with me.

No exercise (see: overtime) (also: I am pretty sure I am recovered from my miscarriage, but I'm still giving myself until Monday before I start squatting heavy weight again) (or sprinting). Supplements same-old, same-old. I briefly jumped on a scale and was pleased to see that I've lost weight (even with clothes on; I usually weigh myself nekkid), then jumped off quickly because my scale records stuff if you stand on it too long.

Also, I think (?) I'm having my period. It's hard to tell. Lower back pain and I'm spotting, but it's not like my usual spotting. I guess we'll see if it turns into full-on Shark Week tomorrow or not.
    Last edited by onalark; 07-22-2012 at 02:59 PM.

Page 21 of 41 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast