Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - onalark page 2

onalark is offline Senior Member

5/5

Primal Fuel
    Busy day at work. Cinco de Mayo means experimenting with fish for dinner -- it's okay, though. I have backup steaks.

I also made mayo successfully this morning in my blender. Here are the ratios I used:

• 1 whole extra large egg
    • 2 Tbs lemon juice
    • 1 tsp dijon mustard
    • Pinch salt
    • 1 cup light extra-virgin olive oil (light in taste, not calories)

And I want to also report that I baked 4 dozen cookies last night and didn't eat a single one. They're for my moms. Yes, I'm very proud of myself.

Food
    • Breakfast - the morning scramble with 1/2 chopped bratwurst, avocado, tomato, onion, peppers, and mushrooms
    • Lunch - Sharky's power plate (shrimp, veggies, yucatan yams) and guacamole. I only ate half the yams, as I didn't want to overdo it. Chips taunted me, but I resisted. (I drank salsa instead.) (Yes, really.)
    • Dinner - Pan-fried Pacific cod dusted with coconut flour, primal coleslaw, 1/2 avocado, tomato, radish

Exercise
    Day off.
    Last edited by onalark; 05-05-2011 at 09:35 PM.

Morning weigh-in was what I expected -- down a pound. I always know when I'm feeling a bit more slender.

The fish recipe was really good last night, but I need a better fish monger.

Surrounded by chips and cookies, and just kept thinking, "Hm. Tonight I should make some of those almond-meal chocolate chip cookies."

Dailyburn says I have eaten a loooot of fat today, and I believe it. Will be interesting to see what the scale has to say about that.

Food
    • Breakfast - the morning scramble: 1/2 bratwurst, 2.5 eggs, avocado, tomato, spinach, onions, peppers
    • Lunch - Big ass salad with luncheon meats, Greek dressing, and remains of a shortrib.
    • Dinner - Meatza with sliced Boccalone orange-fennel salami and red onions, side salad, small glass of red wine.

Exercise
    The MWF routine.
    • 20 glute activations
    • 15 pointing dogs
    • 2 x 25reps kettlebell swings (35 lb)
    • 20 squats
    • 20 modified pushups
    • 10 lunges
    • 10 raised lunges
    • 20 crunches
    Last edited by onalark; 05-06-2011 at 09:28 PM.

5/7

I made cinnamon bun muffins this morning because being surrounded by baked goods lately has made me crave them.

I subbed in coconut oil and honey (to replace the grapeseed oil and agave) and reduced the sweetener in the topping and...wow. They taste great and, assuming the fancy online calculators are right, they are actually very, VERY low carb for a baked good. I'm psyched!

Food
    • Breakfast - 1/2 cinnamon muffin, 2 slices bacon, 2 eggs, assorted vegetables (onions, peppers, mushrooms) cooked in bacon grease, 1 cup coffee with cream and stevia
    • Lunch - 1 slice of Angry Bread, 1 can tuna, 2-3 Tbs homemade mayo, 1 apple
    • Snack - 1/2 cinnamon muffin
    • Dinner - Yellowtail filet on greenbeans, carrots, and red peppers, 1/2 iceburg "wedge" with blue cheese dressing, bacon, and tomato, and a scotch and soda

Exercise
    Will be doing some walking, but other than that today is an off day.
    Last edited by onalark; 05-08-2011 at 08:37 AM.

5/8

Whoo hoo. Lowest weight I've been in years. The guy isn't losing, though, and we're troubleshooting why that's so.

This is my 20% day. Planning on sticking to gluten-free options because lately I'm thinking this is part of my hypothyroid issue. Just won't be so strict with the fruit and the carbs (today only!).

My sister made an egg dish for the brunch, but it had bread in it, so I had to pass. She worked hard and I feel bad for having to decline, but I really do need to make sure I maintain what I set out to do.

Food
    • Breakfast - 3 cinnamon muffins (1 w/cream cheese), fruit, tomato salad with bacon and blueberry-vanilla chevre (consider this part of my 20%)
    • Lunch - "Protein Style" Double-Double with grilled onions, half an order of french fries, diet coke (this, too, is part of my 20%)
    • Snack - 5g 70% cacao chocolate
    • Dinner - Butter chicken, 1 glass of white wine (more 20%)
    • Dessert - 1 banana and 2 Tbs almond butter, mashed together. Yum.

Exercise
    None. Extra napping, though!
    Last edited by onalark; 05-08-2011 at 09:31 PM.

5/9

Got up at 7 AM today, which is QUITE AN ACHIEVEMENT. Last year it would have been all yeah right 7 AM WHAT DRUGS ARE YOU ON?

But yup. Up at 7. Crazy, man.

Food
    • Breakfast - Morning scramble - two eggs, 1 pork sausage link, onions, peppers, mushrooms. 16 oz coffee w/cream and stevia.
    • Lunch - 1 grassfed burger patty, salad with rutabaga, beets, carrots, broccoli, sunflower seeds, oil + balsamic vinegar. Ketchup and mustard on the patty.
    • Snack - 5 marcona almonds
    • Dinner - Bangers, sauerkraut, grilled zucchini, onions, and peppers, and a ginormous salad with too many veggies to name plus chopped egg, olive oil, and white balsamic vinegar.
    • After dinner - 5g 71% cacao chocolate, 1 cup of tea with a bit of stevia

Exercise
    The MWF routine.
    • 20 glute activations
    • 15 pointing dogs (I can never remember the name of this exercise)
    • 20 crunches
    • 25 x 2 kettlebell swings @ 35 lbs
    • 15 modified pushups
    • 5 standard pushups
    • 20 squats
    • 10 lunges (per side)
    • 10 raised lunges (per side)
    • 10 seconds downward facing dog
    • HIIT: 4 x 60 second sprints at 6.6 speed on the treadmill.
    Last edited by onalark; 05-10-2011 at 11:58 AM.

5/10

HIIT yesterday, and it totally whipped me. May need to shift it to early morning so that I can feed up and hopefully not be a drooling wreck the rest of the day.

My pickled turnips are nearly ready, but I tried one just to make sure they were going in the right direction. Mmm. Turnipy!

Food
    • The morning scramble with one of last night's bangers chopped into it. Veggies: onions, peppers, mushroorms, tomatoes.
    • Lunch - 1/2 chicken and some rapini
    • Dinner - Grill's out of propane. Bummer, dude! So we cooked steaks in butter a reliable cast iron skillet, served with onions and mushrooms (finished in the pan the steaks cooked in), and a salad of various diced vegetables (zukes, roasted onions, egg, avocado, tomato, grated carrot, chopped radish etc.)
    • Dessert - 2 primal chocolate chip cookies
    Last edited by onalark; 05-11-2011 at 11:24 AM.

5/11

Made the primal chocolate chip cookies last night. They were pretty awesome and they hit the cookie spot. Brought two to work for my South Beach friend and she loved them. Going to look for a finer almond flour next time, but I think I have a winner.

Food
    • Breakfast - Morning scramble - two eggs, 1 pork sausage link, onions, mushrooms. 12 oz coffee w/cream and stevia. 1/2 a primal chocolate chip cookie.
    • Lunch - Taco salad with carnitas and ground beef. No cheese, rice, beans, crispy shell, or sour cream. The cafeteria guy was boggled.
    • Afternoon Snack - Skirt steak and plaintains. There was a meat party, and I was invited!
    • Dinner - Didn't. Decided to skip a meal. So far so good, but I am a little low energy. I'm probably not the best IF candidate.

Exercise
    The MWF routine.
    • 20 glute activations
    • 15 bird dogs
    • 20 crunches
    • 10 x 2 reverse crunches
    • 20 x 3 kettlebell swings @ 35 lbs
    • 19 modified pushups
    • 1 standard pushup
    • 20 squats + 10 lbs
    • 10 lunges (per side) + 10 lbs
    • 10 raised lunges (per side) + 10 lbs
    Last edited by onalark; 05-11-2011 at 10:41 PM.

5/12

I made whey last night, for a batch of sauerkraut I'm going to start this weekend. Whoo! Also, I now have a bunch of thick yogurt "cheese". Pondering what to do with that, as I don't think dairy does any good for me (except butter -- butter is wonderful).

My experiment in IF ended this morning at around 7:45 AM. I think I need to drop 30 pounds before I can really consider this part of my life.

Food
    • Breakfast - 2 oz center cut boneless pork chop, Morning Scramble (2 eggs, butter, a bit of yogurt cheese, onions, peppers). 16 oz coffee, stevia, cream.
    • Lunch - Big ass salad with chicken breast, jicama, beets, carrots, sunflower seeds, tomatoes, balsamic, olive oil.
    • Snack - 5 marcona almonds (may switch these out for macadamias when they're gone)
    • Dinner - Primal hamburger helper (ground beef, swiss chard, yams, carrots, onions, assorted spices), 1.5 primal cookies

Exercise
    Day off.
    Last edited by onalark; 05-13-2011 at 10:12 AM.

5/13

Super sluggish today. Must be Friday. Will probably ditch the primal cookies. I loved them, but they're just too tempting, and I'm not sure they're doing me any good. Oh well.

Found a Crossfit gym in the area, and plan to drop in next Saturday. This Saturday is massage time, baby.

Food
    • Breakfast - Morning scramble - two eggs, 1 pork sausage link, onions, peppers, mushrooms, tomato, avocado. 12 oz coffee w/cream and stevia.
    • Lunch - TBD
    • Dinner - TBD - probably out, as we're going to see Thor tonight (by my troth!)

Exercise
    The MWF routine.
    • 20 glute activations
    • 15 bird dogs
    • 20 crunches
    • 10 x 2 reverse crunches
    • 20 x 3 kettlebell swings @ 35 lbs
    • 20 modified pushups
    • 1 standard pushup
    • 20 squats + 35 lbs
    • 10 lunges (per side) + 10 lbs
    • 10 raised lunges (per side) + 10 lbs

WinkBlu is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    Have I mentioned I have a wedding in September, and that it's mine? Yes...well. There's that.
    Congratulations on your upcoming nuptuals!!

I know your feelings about your kitty. Last year my son and I had to put our kitty to sleep. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done. But we did it together, and we held him and we cried, and we laughed about the crazy things he did. The vet was awesome and let us take him home to bury in our yard.

Sounds like your nutrition and workouts are right on track! Nice job
    "As if you could kill time without injuring eternity"

Primal Journal *WinkBlu*

Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast