Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - onalark page 14

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Started my morning with green tea and ginger and honey, followed with some yogurt and honey. Managed to get down some cream of cauliflower soup and a couple ounces of chicken breast meat for lunch.

Not having an appetite is definitely weird for me. I have never been what you call a "picky eater", so having this switch flipped is quite astonishing. It literally happened overnight. Wow. Hormones. Crazy.

Back to normal today. Had a baked potato last night, and practically buried my face in it. I ate the steak that went with it out of habit rather than love. That potato was the best thing ever and I will probably have more before this embryo finishes its journey.

Breakfast was yogurt with sunflower butter and honey, plus some cantaloupe. And my half-caff coffee.

Sleep was awesome. Nine and a half hours. Woke twice (once my usual jumping-out-of-bed stuff, once to wish my husband good night as he crept in at 2 AM), but felt great when I got up in the morning.

Some minor nausea and racing heart this morning, so like I said -- back to normal.

Still at the weight I was when I found out I was pregnant. We'll see how much I gain; I figure if I don't tip 200, I'll be doing good.

Back to wanting to puke today. And the rhinovirus I was fighting off seems to be back again. I woke up this morning, rolled over, and said to my husband, "I'm constipated, I have a cold, and I am relatively confident I will puke at some point in the next few hours. I can tell. Today is going to be amaaaazing."

I haven't puked yet, but I can feel my stomach doing the warm-up flip-flops to get ready for the big event. We have a bathroom all prepped and ready: toilet seat up, towels on the floor. Also, I stayed home. Because of my cold.

I really wish I had some bone broth in the freezer. I may start a crockpot of beef broth, but that won't be ready for days. I may just need to boil up a chicken breast and call that lunch.

Anyway. Time to shower and maybe hit up the gluten free market for some crackers and soup. Here's hoping I don't puke on all the nice vegan hippies who frequent the place.

I did not, in fact, puke yesterday. Hooray! I did remain fairly sick and couldn't sleep. Ugh.

By mid-day I thought, "Maybe it's allergies?" So I took a Zyrtec (which Dr. Google is hazy on as to whether it's "safe" -- I figured a) it was only one and b) the blueberry and I need to breathe, dammit). That helped marginally, but not completely -- so, probably not allergies, but definitely something aggravated by allergies, i.e., a cold.

Husband came home, we went to the store, and I bought Benadryl, which long story short is on that "safe" list for knocked up ladies. None of the decongestants are on the "safe" list, but Benadryl tends to drain my sinuses, so I figured it was worth a shot. I took one, and PASSED OUT. Boom. Out. Gone. Woke up ten hours later. Much better. I can breathe, I feel rested, all praise the Benadryl.

We're going to a family thing today, and tomorrow I'm cooking for my dad. So glad I made the molé last weekend. I don't think I could have managed it with all this hacking and coughing.

KimT is offline Senior Member
    Just stopping by to say hi! Congrats on the pregnancy and hope things improve in the morning sickness area! I've been reading the journals here for a while, just don't post often. I'm kinda a neighbor, just down the coast in Oceanside.

I sympathize with the sleep issues. I'm fortunate that my dreams have gotten way less frequent. They are much worse when I am in pain (fibromyalgia and previously lots of leg cramps for which I took malic acid and magnesium), but the dietary changes seem to have helped a lot. My husband (of 13 years) jokes that nobody warned him about it for a reason! I've hit him full force in the sternum, jumped over him (he says it was straight out of a Matrix movie), pulled a tv onto my face, broken an oil lamp against the wall, run into other rooms, and lots of craziness. A few times I've ended up with really bad bruises. I would agree that co-sleeping with baby might not be a great idea, all things considered!

Best of luck to you!

Yeah. People give us the "Uh...oooohkaaaaay" look when we bring up that we sleep in separate beds (in the same room)...but it's really just practical. I do cah-razy things in my sleep, and primal/paleo/whatever isn't going to fix it.

It's not a pain thing with me so much as a stress thing. The more stress, the more I tend to wake up -- good stress (I'm getting a promotion! I'm getting married! I'm buying a new house!) and bad (I'm going to quit my job! I'm going to break up with my boyfriend! I am worried my house is going to be broken into!). And being pregnant, no matter how cool I am with it, is pretty stressful.

Thanks for stopping in.

Aaaaaand I'm awake. Which is quite unusual for me, a person who can sleep at the drop of a hat, and who normally knocks off between 9:30-10:30 PM.

Thanks, hormones. I was in danger of forgetting you were there, but you continue to remind me that you're still flooding my system with weird signals.

The heart palpitations disappeared today, though the nausea still surfaced occasionally. I prepared a marvelous Father's Day dinner for my dad, which included Oaxacan mole (primalish, except for the one single corn tortilla and the disc of Abuelita chocolate in the recipe), grilled chicken thighs, a BAS salad, and some white rice with lots of butter and cilantro. We finished it with butterscotch pots de creme. Hey, it was Father's Day.

At some point the conversation came around to birth centers (mom's in support, dad's a little dubious) and The Diet. I ranted a bit about low-fat foods and satiation. Sometimes I think I'm getting through. Sometimes I think they're just humoring me. But that's parental love for you. Whatever, they loved my food. The mole in particular is always a hit.

Now I'm just sippin' on chamomile and hoping my sleepiness will kick in. Sometimes my brain just needs to drain some thoughts off on the page. Here's hoping.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    tell him you're considering unassisted homebirth, and he'll be all kinds of on-board with a birth center.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    tell him you're considering unassisted homebirth, and he'll be all kinds of on-board with a birth center.
    Ha ha. Yeah. His mom was apparently born on a kitchen table, so he's aware it's possible...he just doesn't understand why I won't default to a hospital. He doesn't understand what benefit I get out of going to a birth center.

I told him if at any point the pregnancy stops being low-risk, I'll go to a hospital. Otherwise, midwives. Birth center. No reason to involve doctors, drugs, and IV drips if we don't have to. I just want my body to do what it was made to do.

Mr. Onalark also came in swinging about interventions and C-sections. I was a little surprised; he was actually more passionate about it than me. Gosh I love that guy. And mom confided that she didn't have any interventions when she had me, her last, and she "wished she'd done it that way with the other three". So I was the baby with no epidurals, no episiotomy, no induction (not sure they were doing induction regularly back then anyway). And I was breech! That woman is a saint.

Today: feeling great. A little queasy at breakfast, but I kicked that down with some GF toast, butter, and peanut butter. Not primal, but what I could stomach.

My heart palpitations have quieted, my headache is gone, and aside from the insomnia last night and the Amazingly Perky Boobs of Doom, all's quiet on the Western Front.

Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast